Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rodgers trade

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I have to think the Packers believe that Love has it and will at least be above average. If they didn't think that, they certainly should have tried to commit more to Rodgers after his MVP year.
    But the MVP year came in the 1st year of the extension he had just signed. They had already committed to him. The big issue is just communication. He like a lot of other people were shocked as hell the Packers drafted a QB and I think not calling him and talking to him about it ruffled his Feathers.

I honestly don't think the situation is as bad as it is being made out to be. Schefter basically came out and said it wasn't breaking news or something that just dropped it was just accumulation of what he had heard last year. Then, once he dropped his story the other places picked it up and blew it apart.

I have to think the Packers believe that Love has it and will at least be above average. If they didn't think that, they certainly should have tried to commit more to Rodgers after his MVP year.
    But the Packers had him under contract. It's back firing obviously, but he signed a contract and the packers control his destiny. They still do. So not committing to him doesn't mean Love us ready or even decent. Just that they want more time to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    But the MVP year came in the 1st year of the extension he had just signed. They had already committed to him. The big issue is just communication. He like a lot of other people were shocked as hell the Packers drafted a QB and I think not calling him and talking to him about it ruffled his Feathers.

I honestly don't think the situation is as bad as it is being made out to be. Schefter basically came out and said it wasn't breaking news or something that just dropped it was just accumulation of what he had heard last year. Then, once he dropped his story the other places picked it up and blew it apart.
    He has an extension, but they are absolutely not committed to him beyond 2021 with the out that the contract has. He's playing on 1 year deals for the rest of the extension and that is his problem.

Some of these trade proposals are wild

They would have to pay Chubb in this scenario so not sure how it works out money wise, but that is a lot of assets. Even if Love wasn't the guy, there would be plenty of opportunity to move up and get one if needed.
    Last edited by ugottabjoshinme; 05-20-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Some of these trade proposals are wild

They would have to pay Chubb in this scenario so not sure how it works out money wise, but that is a lot of assets. Even if Love wasn't the guy, there would be plenty of opportunity to move up and get one if needed.
    Take the Guard out and replace with Jeudy and I would consider

#iamgute

I think Gute could have communicated better with Rodgers for sure. There's some talk that the Packers didn't really talk much with him this year besides shifting money. I fully think things could have been handled better for sure.

But this talk that the Packers should have communicated with Rodgers when they took Love is so dumb. It was a late first. I'm sure the Packers didn't think Love would be available. They had some WRs rated highly on the board that ended up going before them. They clearly didn't go into the draft thinking it's Love or bust. But the way the board fell, Love seemed to be BPA on their board and I'm guessing he was BPA by a decent margin. With all the crap going on in the draft room, I'd hardly expect them to call Rodgers and explain it to him while they're on the clock. It's such a dumb narrative.

I agree with everything you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I think Gute could have communicated better with Rodgers for sure. There's some talk that the Packers didn't really talk much with him this year besides shifting money. I fully think things could have been handled better for sure.

But this talk that the Packers should have communicated with Rodgers when they took Love is so dumb. It was a late first. I'm sure the Packers didn't think Love would be available. They had some WRs rated highly on the board that ended up going before them. They clearly didn't go into the draft thinking it's Love or bust. But the way the board fell, Love seemed to be BPA on their board and I'm guessing he was BPA by a decent margin. With all the crap going on in the draft room, I'd hardly expect them to call Rodgers and explain it to him while they're on the clock. It's such a dumb narrative.
    Sorry but I have a strong disagreement on this. Bc they traded up for Love. Gave up a 4th rounder for Love.

They wanted him. When the better option ,IF the board weaken for the packers pick, would have been to drop back into the 2nd round somewhere and try to fill a damn hole in the teams run for a SB.

Now we literally have this year bc we are so damn over the cap next year already we will almost certainly be not as good.

Granted if their plan when drafting love was to move on from Rodgers after this year it looks painfully obvious right now.

And on the other hand I believe Rodgers has earned the right to have some input on the direction of this team. To load up for another run. Weve had 16 years of one of the best qbs in history TWICE. And won a Sb each time. Feel bad for the guys because they are freaking winners and its been fun as hell to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Sorry but I have a strong disagreement on this. Bc they traded up for Love. Gave up a 4th rounder for Love.

They wanted him. When the better option ,IF the board weaken for the packers pick, would have been to drop back into the 2nd round somewhere and try to fill a damn hole in the teams run for a SB.

Now we literally have this year bc we are so damn over the cap next year already we will almost certainly be not as good.

Granted if their plan when drafting love was to move on from Rodgers after this year it looks painfully obvious right now.

And on the other hand I believe Rodgers has earned the right to have some input on the direction of this team. To load up for another run. Weve had 16 years of one of the best qbs in history TWICE. And won a Sb each time. Feel bad for the guys because they are freaking winners and its been fun as hell to watch.
    But teams don't want to trade. We always talk like if you don't like the options then trade down. But guess what, if we don't like the options, chances are no on else does either.

We gave up a 4tj round pick to move up a few spots in the first. That's hardly a massive move. Yes, the Packers wanted Love at that point. It's very likely he was BPA. But given all the rumors about us liking guys like Jefferson and Aiyuk, we clearly didn't go into the draft saying we're getting a qb or bust. The board fell in a way where a qb ended up being significantly higher than anyone else.

And to me, your last two points are contradictory. I hate the idea of giving players any say in rostw r management becuase they don't care about future cap. If it was up to Rodgers, Im sure we would have extended Cobb. If it was up to Rodgers, I'm sure he would have pushed for us to go harder after a free agent WR and tried to get the Packers to outbid the Saints for someone like Manny Sanders, who wasn't very good.

Im fine with players having input on game plans and even personnel packages and things like that. But having any influence in roster is just a bad idea in my mind.

Wouldn't it be a good thing to have input on who's playing in the offense Rodgers QB's?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

IN CHUCKY WE TRUST

Quote Originally Posted by raidermike View Post
    Wouldn't it be a good thing to have input on who's playing in the offense Rodgers QB's?

Not really to be honest. He's not a player evaluator. Look at how obsessed he was with Jake Kumerow. He's not good. He's not special. He's been a journeyman everywhere he's been.

The other peice is the bottom of the roster oftentimes has alot more responsibility than just offense. So maybe Kumerow was the 5th best wr on the team, but the 5th best we also needs to be able to play special teams. Or if the 5th best WR isn't even active, it's much more beneficial to keep a guy with upside for the future than it is to keep a guy with no upside who won't be active.

Same with stuff like the draft. Oftentimes you aren't drafting for immediate need, especially in the 2-5th or so rounds. You're usually anticipating future needs based upon who you're resigning and who you can afford to resign. I mean, we signed Jones this year, but that was a relatively team friendly deal and he probably could have gotten more on the open market. If he decided to get max dollars, then Dillon would legit be RB1. When you're drafting, you have to consider all of that as well. Your QB, regardless of who it is, doesn't have the insight or care to know all of that crap and there's no reason for him to know all that crap.

Its the same with free agency then. Of course Rodgers is going to want more weapons no matter what. Do you think he would have spent on say Adrian Amos in FA or would he have tried to get an offensive player? He's stumped before for guys like Cobb and James Jones, but bringing those guys back probably would have hurt the cap more than we give it credit for. It's not a criticism of Rodgers or any qb, but they don't have that foresight. And then you also risk a Deshaun Watson situation. Sure, Rodgers is pissed that he isn't consulted, but don't you think he'd also be pissed if we gave him input then didn't listen to half of what he did.

Not really to be honest. He's not a player evaluator. Look at how obsessed he was with Jake Kumerow. He's not good. He's not special. He's been a journeyman everywhere he's been.

The other peice is the bottom of the roster oftentimes has alot more responsibility than just offense. So maybe Kumerow was the 5th best wr on the team, but the 5th best we also needs to be able to play special teams. Or if the 5th best WR isn't even active, it's much more beneficial to keep a guy with upside for the future than it is to keep a guy with no upside who won't be active.

Same with stuff like the draft. Oftentimes you aren't drafting for immediate need, especially in the 2-5th or so rounds. You're usually anticipating future needs based upon who you're resigning and who you can afford to resign. I mean, we signed Jones this year, but that was a relatively team friendly deal and he probably could have gotten more on the open market. If he decided to get max dollars, then Dillon would legit be RB1. When you're drafting, you have to consider all of that as well. Your QB, regardless of who it is, doesn't have the insight or care to know all of that crap and there's no reason for him to know all that crap.

Its the same with free agency then. Of course Rodgers is going to want more weapons no matter what. Do you think he would have spent on say Adrian Amos in FA or would he have tried to get an offensive player? He's stumped before for guys like Cobb and James Jones, but bringing those guys back probably would have hurt the cap more than we give it credit for. It's not a criticism of Rodgers or any qb, but they don't have that foresight. And then you also risk a Deshaun Watson situation. Sure, Rodgers is pissed that he isn't consulted, but don't you think he'd also be pissed if we gave him input then didn't listen to half of what he did.
    Good read. I see your point. You're probably right too. I just see so many QB's having input on who the organization picks nowadays. Maybe a little input like if we had a choice between player a or player b who would u rather throw to? Or check these 3 nasty o-line men out, who do u want watching your blind side?

Know what i'm saying? Not actually giving him ultimate power to hand pick. But yet some input on who he likes better.

IN CHUCKY WE TRUST

Quote Originally Posted by raidermike View Post
    Good read. I see your point. You're probably right too. I just see so many QB's having input on who the organization picks nowadays. Maybe a little input like if we had a choice between player a or player b who would u rather throw to? Or check these 3 nasty o-line men out, who do u want watching your blind side?

Know what i'm saying? Not actually giving him ultimate power to hand pick. But yet some input on who he likes better.

But you're literally paying hundreds of thousands and for a few folks millions of dollars to a personnel department to do that full time as their job.

I'm not saying Rodgers is an idiot, but he watches film much differently than a scout or personnel person does. And if you're asking him for opinions, he's very likely going to be bias towards NFC players because he has very likely seen significantly more film on those guys than AFC guys. Like I wouldn't expect Rodgers to have a vast knowledge of the Miami Dolphins roster or the Jets roster or something like that. It's an uncommon opponent who doesn't play alot of prime time games.

And the other side of it is if you seek his input, you better act on it. Because asking for input then doing the opposite is arguably worse than not even asking for input.

Pat McAfee was talking about how Peyton used to have a ton of say for the Colts and acted like that was a great thing. Well, the colts only won 1 super bowl as well. It wasn't until Peyton left to join a pretty loaded roster in Denver that he won another that was more despite him than because of him.

I hate being a players play and coaches coach type of guy, but there's some truth to that. I do think players and coaches need to work together since players see things that coaches may not see from their viewpoint. Players can also tell in the huddle and stuff like that when guys lose confidence and that type of stuff. So that needs to be a back and forth relationship and conversation. Same with coaches and the front office. Coaches need to at least be able to articulate the type of players and types of skill sets they are looking for to fit their scheme and it's the front office peoples' jobs to find and acquire those guys. But I'm not sure there needs to be a true working relationship between front office and players per se. Obviously communication is still good, and the Packers have not been good communicating to Rodgers it seems, but as far as personnel goes, players shouldnt have much say.

I look at Lebron in basketball. Lebron is a terrible GM. He's a great recruiter and can get another star to play alongside him, but he also usually is too loyal to his guys and gets marginal players paid. Look what happened in cleveland where he got guys like Tristan Thompson and Jr Smith bigger than they deserved deals that killed their flexibility. I think that's the type of stuff that happens when you let players get involved in personnel decisions. They get emotional when they are talking about guys they go to battle with 16+ Sundays a year with.

The whole Rodgers saga is so confusing to me. I think there's a few scenarios at play and I'm not sure which one it is. But after hearing insiders but then hearing guys like Hawk and Jones talk, I'm more confused.

James Jones basically said yesterday that it's not about getting Gute fired and its not about the draft. It's about guys we've let go and not brought back. But even that doesn't make any sense because the timing is just off. Jones referenced guys like Jordy, Woodson, Peppers and Clay being let go or us letting them walk without trying to bring them back.

But those guys have been gone multiple years. Why sign an extension if you're pissed that those guys left? Kumerow couldn't have been the tipping point. He's garbage and he can't be the one that he's referencing.

So that would mean it's guys like Bulaga and Linsley but those guys got monster contracts and we clearly didn't have the money. The only way either of those guys come back is if Rodgers takes a pay cut or if we don't bring back at least one of Jones, Clark, or Bak, which would have pissed Rodgers off as well.

Thats what I just don't get. Either Rodgers is feeding his friends lies, which is a pretty crappy friend thing to do, or something doesn't add up. If anything, over Rodgers entire tenure, the Packers have been one of the most loyal franchises at bringing guys back and not releasing guys. I think we've had a few guys that we've given an extra year to before we cut them too, like Graham and now P Smith. I'm guessing Rodgers wants more say in some of that, but it's just such an odd thing and odd timing for all of this to come to fruition.

The whole Rodgers saga is so confusing to me. I think there's a few scenarios at play and I'm not sure which one it is. But after hearing insiders but then hearing guys like Hawk and Jones talk, I'm more confused.

James Jones basically said yesterday that it's not about getting Gute fired and its not about the draft. It's about guys we've let go and not brought back. But even that doesn't make any sense because the timing is just off. Jones referenced guys like Jordy, Woodson, Peppers and Clay being let go or us letting them walk without trying to bring them back.

But those guys have been gone multiple years. Why sign an extension if you're pissed that those guys left? Kumerow couldn't have been the tipping point. He's garbage and he can't be the one that he's referencing.

So that would mean it's guys like Bulaga and Linsley but those guys got monster contracts and we clearly didn't have the money. The only way either of those guys come back is if Rodgers takes a pay cut or if we don't bring back at least one of Jones, Clark, or Bak, which would have pissed Rodgers off as well.

Thats what I just don't get. Either Rodgers is feeding his friends lies, which is a pretty crappy friend thing to do, or something doesn't add up. If anything, over Rodgers entire tenure, the Packers have been one of the most loyal franchises at bringing guys back and not releasing guys. I think we've had a few guys that we've given an extra year to before we cut them too, like Graham and now P Smith. I'm guessing Rodgers wants more say in some of that, but it's just such an odd thing and odd timing for all of this to come to fruition.
    Agree with this. Everything Jones said was puzzling to me. If you add that all up, Rodgers would be doing this even if the Packers hadn't drafted Love right? I doubt it. All these things about letting veterans go and not adding weapons probably irritates him a bit. But there is no way the root of the problem isn't that they can get out of his contract at any point after this season and already have the next QB on the roster. There are no guarantees after this season and having no control over that is surely the issue.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast