Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

1st Round Pick 29 2021 NFL Draft CB Eric Stokes CB Georgia

Position: Cornerback
    School: Georgia
    Current Year: Junior
    Height: 6’1″
    Weight: 185 pounds

Positives: Underrated cornerback with the size and play speed to start in the NFL. Physical, battles opponents throughout the route, and tracks the ball in the air. Possesses excellent length, effectively diagnoses the action, and has a closing burst. Possesses good hands for the interception. Easily runs downfield with opponents. Gives effort defending the run and wraps up tackling.

Negatives: Doesn’t flip his hips off the line and loses a half-step transitioning with opponents. Gets a little grabby in coverage.

Analysis: Stokes possesses terrific measurables and has shown developing ball skills. He’s effective facing the action while also displaying the ability to make plays with his back to the ball. Stokes comes with a large upside and offers potential in nickel packages early in his NFL career, and he could eventually develop into a first-team player.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/e...ia-cornerback/

The corner board was getting slimmer, but aside from that. I frankly like the move. A high potential speedy CB in a spot of need. Should be an immediate impact. At the moment I would grade the move B to B+. Not a lot of flaws in his game on paper. He looks like a solid fit for Barry's scheme. Good speed, good ball skills. This looks like a solid pick. Packers getting a high potential corner at perhaps our biggest need.

Yep, the Rodgers talk will dominate everything, but at the end of the day, before today, we all had CB as one of the biggest needs. We got a guy who has star potential and appears, at least for the time being, to be a good fit for zone coverage, which we do alot of.

I've said from the beginning Stokes has always felt like a Packers pick. Top level athlete with good size. I think they would have thought long and hard about Bateman had he still been on the board though.

I love the pick. Problem is, fans are going to be clouded with all this Rodgers crap but the bottom line is we were DESPERATE for a solid DB to be compatible to Alexander. Think of we had Stokes on Miller in the NFCCG? His speed is insane, has the right height and ball awareness. He needs to work off his feet more and not his hands but that’s coachable. We can even move Alexander around now if need be. CB was a glaring need that needed to be addressed ASAP. I had zero faith having King, or Josh Jackson start ever again and this just sealed their fates. They’re depth at best. We can get that WR in the 2nd or 3rd. We still need OL help and that ILB.

To be fair, I would think King still starts. Week 1 King is probably better than Stokes this year. Usually takes a minute for rookie corners to adjust as well. But it's still a good pick. There's a very obvious need in the very near future and he does have a chance to compete this year.

I like the pick. I feel a little bad for the kid because his big moment will be overshadowed by the Rodgers news. And if the Packers and Rodgers do break up, he'll always be compared to whatever WRs who go on day 2 and are good.

I would agree King may get the label "starter" but Stokes will see a lot of work. Kirby ran "STAR" packages which is what I would imagine we see Barry run some variation of.

A few more notes on I think we could see Stokes get work in the slot and outside. The good thing about Stokes coming in is he will have a little cushion to grow. Stokes is going to come into a great situation overall. I would agree with much of Aquib Talib's take "The guy found the ball in college which usually means the guy will find the ball in the pros." I know his take there's not always true, but I think you look at this guy and have a good sense this to be true. You look at the film and you see the potential ball skills he can have, but also seem that's he's not fully polished either.

What works well for him is he goes from a good DB development in Georgia to one of the best DB developers in Jerry Gray. All of his noted faults can be coached out by the right mind, and Gray really seems to fit the mold. I think Jerry Gray may have played a part in this pick to. Stokes has the build and atheleticims to be an elite CB in the NFL. He features a wide array of skills that will allow him to functions in several roles, but is best fit for zone schemes. He has phenomenal speed and guy's his size generally don't have his speed. Worth noting too last year one of the areas they were lacking was covering speed guys and few players if any are burning Stokes that will also potentially mask some early flaws. One last thing I think was crucial is not only is he an athlete, but he's a smart and coachable player. I think Kirby Smart's comments on the guy speak volume.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 04-30-2021 at 10:10 AM.

He's grabby, which is a concern but it's also something teachable. While I don't fully buy the 40 times from this year, he's still a sub 4.4 40 guy even if you apply some of the pro day benefits guys usually get. That type of speed with decent size isn't teachable.

But it's the hands that make me a bit concerned about throwing him into the fire right away. He's going to get penalized enough if he's a day 1 starter. But that's teachable. And King and Sullivan, despite both having bad games in the NFCC game, aren't horrible pros. But neither is elite either. So hell have a chance to compete and win a job early but I don't think it's a horrible thing if he doesn't start day 1 either. I know a large swath of King hating Packers fans will disagree with that though.

I think grabby can also be translated into great physical prowess. If they can hone those skills into a bump and run corner he could be special with the speed he has. But I agree to have King and Sullivan and maybe even Jackson will allow them to work out kinks, but neither being elite he is going to get some good field time to work on his game. I think his ability to play both outside and the slot we could see really good competition for the starting corner spot. Taking Stokes early sent the message to King, Sullivan, and Jackson sink or swim.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I think grabby can also be translated into great physical prowess. If they can hone those skills into a bump and run corner he could be special with the speed he has. But I agree to have King and Sullivan and maybe even Jackson will allow them to work out kinks, but neither being elite he is going to get some good field time to work on his game. I think his ability to play both outside and the slot we could see really good competition for the starting corner spot. Taking Stokes early sent the message to King, Sullivan, and Jackson sink or swim.
    For what its worth, I usually translate grabby into a guy who panics when he gets beat. If a guy gets some seperation, he reaches for them right away. For a guy with his speed and length, he shouldn't need to do that.

But I still love the pick. Grabbing is usually a confidence thing and hopefully can be worked out. Bit otherwise he has all the tools to be really good. I love the SEC pedigree and he's played against some really talented WR and QB combos.