Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R1 Pick 18: DE Jaelan Phillips

Kinda shocked itís not Paye, but the Dolphins have shown that theyíre not worried of medicals. Dude is the best pass rusher in the draft. Only problem is the concussions.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Philips replacing Van Noy is perfect. Change the focus of the pass rush purely being on blitzes to now adding someone who actually has moves.

With that said, Miami also did tons of stunts and twists. They ran a very pro style defense that should help him transition well right away. Perfect scheme fit.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 04-29-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Philips replacing Van Noy is perfect. Change the focus of the pass rush purely being on blitzes to now adding someone who actually has moves.

With that said, Miami also did tons of stunts and twists. They ran a very pro style defense that should help him transition well right away. Perfect scheme fit.
    Agreed, loved him before the draft and love the pick now. Huge need.

Came away with a big weapon on offense and defense. So far so good.

He is probably a top 10 pick if he didnít have the medical red flags. This guy looks like a lock for 10+ sacks in his prime if he stays healthy. I love the pick and Iím loving our draft so far. I honestly think he was BPA and need for us.

Post first round press conference

For us, Jaelen [Phillips] was the best player on the board. You can never have enough pass rushers. We were tremendously excited about him being there," Dolphins GM Chris Grier acknowledging Miami selected BPA, and knew there would be a first-round run at RB.

We spent a lot of time in the predraft process getting to know him. The one thing is, when you watch him play you don't question is passion. He has a tremendous motor," Dolphins GM Chris Grier on Jaelen Phillips.

Dolphins GM Chris Grier said 18th overall pick Jaelan Phillips "plays 100 miles an hour and has a tremendous motor."

Chris Grier said he didn't expect Jaelan Phillips to be there at 18 and is tremendously excited to get him.

Btw for more background on Philips medical concerns, he was forced to medically retire at UCLA due to concussions. UCLA has a rule where if you get 3 concussions you must retire from the program. Philips said after he was drafted that he had 2 and that was it.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 04-30-2021 at 02:08 AM.

Been doing a ton of reading this morning, everyone LOVES this pick for Miami.

If Phillips is over his concussions and is really healthy, he could be the best defensive player in the draft. Lots of talk of him being a future superstar and it's no wonder Grier nearly ran to the potium to turn in the card.

I really, really like this pick. This isn't Charles Harris 2.0, this is more TJ Watt 2.0.

Yeah... One of our biggest needs and addressed in a very weak class. I'm on board.

Holy ****..Philips athleticism score is nuts. Score of 9.87, ranking 19th out of 1371 DE since 1987.

Yes, 1987... No typo.

Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    Holy ****..Philips athleticism score is nuts. Score of 9.87, ranking 19th out of 1371 DE since 1987.

Yes, 1987... No typo.

Jesus.
    That's insane. Now I love this pick! Where did you find this information?

Quote Originally Posted by poppapuh86 View Post
    That's insane. Now I love this pick! Where did you find this information?
    It was on Twitter... From here.
    https://relativeathleticscores.com/r...mpression=true

If you google him and "impressions" you'll see lots of good info on him like this.

The guy looks like an absolute monster.

Current betting odds on DROY has Phillips at 7/1, second only to Parsons at 4/1

He's the most pro ready and someone who can get better. Fills a massive need. Paye is hella raw didn't think we had interest in him.

Getting their #2 overall player and #1 pass rusher is a massive win on the night.

Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post

Yes, 1987... No typo.

Jesus.
    I have not seen him, but I find that interesting as one of his most commonly mentioned limits in draft reports I have skimmed is his lack of elite speed. Not that he's slow either, just not special speed or anything, mostly great inside and outside moves, which is great to have.
    He also apparently plays a little high sometimes but that is definitely coachable and you know Flores and staff will be all over it if it is true.

I'm excited to see him play and hope he protects his head.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 05-03-2021 at 09:35 PM.

^^^^dude ran a 4.56 40. Definitely not slow. Isnít a freak like Owen, but still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    He's the most pro ready and someone who can get better. Fills a massive need. Paye is hella raw didn't think we had interest in him.

Getting their #2 overall player and #1 pass rusher is a massive win on the night.
    See I felt like Pay was a scheme fit of what we thought they wanted. Fit the Shaq Lawson mold to me. But I think weíre seeing a very clear shift from Flo. He went with guys/molds he was comfortable with last year, only to watch them struggle against the elite teams.

I think Paye is one of those versatile heavy handed guys that fits you like because you can move him around. Phillips gives you similar versatility but absolutely has actual pass rush ability.

From Mike Klis, a Broncos reporter.
    Can confirm per source Patonís trade back into 1st-round target was U of Miami pass rusher Jaelan Phillips, as Michael Silver mentioned in his piece. Phillips needed to fall to 20s, though, for Paton to have proper compensation and Phillips went No. 18 to Dolphins.

So Miami started the Edge run, Safety run, and OT run in the 2nd round.

To be able to start the run on the edge position at 18, and get the guy you want, is just pure luck.

This is why multiple picks is so huge. It allows so much flexibility, to not force picks for position fills.

Phillips really has no weaknesses. He can win so many ways with so many moves already, thats super rare for edge rushers today, where teams are basically taking the most athletic edge rusher and than developing them even if they sucked in college.

I still remember how mad I was we passed on TJ Watt, thank god we didn't pass on Phillips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast