Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    I have no problem with dabears stance. I'm stoked about Fields, but admittedly I don't have high expectations. This is Chicago, the HC is Matt Nagy, and historically, the Bears cannot get the position solved and OSU can't produce an NFL QB worth a damned. Does that mean anything present today with regards to Fields? No. I'm excited, I can't wait for the season, but I'm going into it with zero expectations. I think everyone here knows my thoughts on Nagy. He's a subpar HC/OC (by quite a bit) who could never adjust, learn from his mistakes, or frankly, get out of his own way. Luckily, Flip and Lazor are on the staff, but Nagy will still be calling plays, game planning, and mentoring Fields. He has a huge uphill battle with all of that...but it is exciting right now because he is the best prospect/talent the Bears have ever had at the position.
    But see neither OSUs QB history nor Chicago's has anything to do with Fields that's a poor argument so why even bring it up? If you're worried about Fields himself or Nagy coaching him that's one thing, but the QB history thing is paranoia.

Chicago Bears Mock Offseason Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Not all of us were excited about Cutler though. A lot felt like he was pretty overrated, and we gave up a lot. I agree we all were accepting because we've been so deprived of QB talent our entire lives.

I will say, I was furious when Cutler got extended. He literally didn't show he could be trusted to consistently win games for us, and yet they still paid him big time money. I remember saying when it happened, that they only resigned him because they were too embarrassed to admit the trade didn't pay off in the long run.

Listen I'm not mad we got Fields. I think we got pretty good value to land a QB with his upside. While I wanted Mac Jones at our pick, which I started realizing wasn't possible when I saw the Pats in front of us, I didn't want Mac Jones in a trade up like that. I didn't think Fields was truly going to fall past 3rd. My biggest fear was Trev/Wilson/Fields go top 3, and we make the move we made for Lance. That would have been a nightmare for me. When it comes to Fields and Mac, Mac has 1 way to be good whereas Fields can be good in a multitude of ways. My main point in my previous posts is, A stop bashing people who are questioning things that should be questioned, and B) humble ourselves a little bit. It'll be a lot less embarrassing if he doesn't work out.
    I don't believe anyone is acting not humble. I think it's perfectly normal and healthy to be excited when it is rational to be. It's wrong to annoint him a pro bowl spot before he's even taken a snap in the NFL. It's not wrong to recognize the likelihood for him to become great and to be excited for that.

I'm fine with you having a grounded reaction, but your reasons why he might not pan out were bad. You can question things, but the things you're questioning still have to make sense. It can't just be reacting to matter with anti-matter.

If the doctor tells you you have an 80% prognosis or a 15% prognosis, your reaction is gonna be pretty different. I think Fields is much closer to an 80% than 15%. That's something to celebrate, in a way, even if you could still die either way.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 05-11-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBear View Post
    But see neither OSUs QB history nor Chicago's has anything to do with Fields that's a poor argument so why even bring it up? If you're worried about Fields himself or Nagy coaching him that's one thing, but the QB history thing is paranoia.
    I didn't say it's a good argument. I'm not even saying I think Fields is going to do well, or not do well. I'm more worried about Nagy than Fields, tbh but I guess yes, because of the history of the Bears and OSU QBs, that does probably pop in my thoughts every now and then. My main point was I don't have an issue with anyone questioning or not completely jumping on the hype train. That's fine. Like I said, I can't wait to watch Fields play and develop, but I'm literally going into it with zero expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    I didn't say it's a good argument. I'm not even saying I think Fields is going to do well, or not do well. I'm more worried about Nagy than Fields, tbh but I guess yes, because of the history of the Bears and OSU QBs, that does probably pop in my thoughts every now and then. My main point was I don't have an issue with anyone questioning or not completely jumping on the hype train. That's fine. Like I said, I can't wait to watch Fields play and develop, but I'm literally going into it with zero expectations.
    Bad argument aside, my main issue was the claim that everyone aren't being humble or are acting embarrassing.

No one needs to tell anyone how they have to react. There's nothing embarrassing about being excited for something that warrants it. No one is here saying the Bears are SB favorites, or even favorites to win the division.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Bad argument aside, my main issue was the claim that everyone aren't being humble or are acting embarrassing.

No one needs to tell anyone how they have to react. There's nothing embarrassing about being excited for something that warrants it. No one is here saying the Bears are SB favorites, or even favorites to win the division.
    Yeah I didn't get the humble thing. Maybe bears fans are going around on other forums or Facebook posts he reads but I'm pretty sure on here is just excitement. Not really sure about that one either.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post

I agree with that. I wasn't really speaking on that...just more the part where it's ok to be skeptical and not all in on Fields. Personally, from what I've seen of him, I really like. My biggest concern is how he'll handle pressure if the OL can't keep him clean, but that really applies to any QB, especially a young one. I'm not overly concerned about the criticism about his processing speed or that he's a tick slow. He's a great prospect, but I'm still going into it with a wait and see approach. In large part due to Nagy. If McVay or Shanny were HC, I'd feel super confident. I feel confident in Fields, overall. Don't exactly love the situation he's in right now, though. Didn't love cutting Leno and obviously I think Nagy should have been canned already and don't think he's qualified to be a HC or OC and considering he's stated he doesn't work on mechanics, probably wouldn't make a good QB coach either lol

My stance is much more grounded than how it's probably presented, honestly. I think that goes for most people here. Everyone is aware that Fields has a reasonable chance to fail in this league. It doesn't need to be a disclaimer before every positive claim made about him. The original argument was not that Fields is great, it was always just the belief that him falling as far as he did was misguided, because regardless of what he ends up becoming, he is a better prospect (as in, he has a higher ceiling, and a greater chance to succeed) than at least 1 of the players who was drafted ahead of him. These guys are all lottery tickets in a way, any of them can fail, any of them can go on to be great. A 6th round pick became Tom Brady. Ryan Leaf, one of the highest touted QB prospects of his generation was out of the league in 4 seasons. But most of the great players are taken where Ryan Leaf was, rather than Tom Brady. Not all lottery tickets are equal.

And it really does happen every year where certain prospects drop, seemingly just due to the anti-matter argument. "It's too good to be true, let's nitpick everything about him we can find cause no one is that good." I don't think that's an unreasonable claim to make here with Fields. He's not a perfect prospect, but I think he's much better than a lot of prospects who have gone earlier than he did. In almost any draft, I'd wager he's a top 5 pick. I think this is a pretty strong class and that we were incredibly fortunate to snag him.

Again, it's not annointing him King of Chicago, but it's recognizing the potential he has. I honestly don't think there's anyone here that can disagree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBear View Post
    It's so dumb.. OSU produces players at a high volume at every position in the NFL. So the QB position hasnt produced quality NFLers to this point, i hate how people say that they never will.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    It's so dumb.. OSU produces players at a high volume at every position in the NFL. So the QB position hasnt produced quality NFLers to this point, i hate how people say that they never will.
    It's the nature of the position anyway. Even the best schools have way more busts than hits. Clemson is really the only recent exception with Watson and, presumably, Lawrence.

A friend of mine who is a major idiot told me that fields will be anther Craig krenzel lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bears88 View Post
    A friend of mine who is a major idiot told me that fields will be anther Craig krenzel lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You need new friends.
    Screw sabermetics.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast