Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Bears take QB Justin Fields

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I think there's much more to Brady's greatness than "making the easy play." You sort of elaborated on it in your post. Idk, maybe just the phrasing of the post made it seem overly simplistic.
    Of course there is more, but that's the difference between him and just about everyone else. That's something I feel Belichick played a big role in teaching. Brady knows where he is throwing before that ball is snapped half the time, if not more. He can make every throw, but at key moments, he would often go to something quick and unguardable. That's how he made monsters out of his slot WR's and TE's. It extended beyond even just short quick passes. He is probably the best QB at QB sneaks on 4th and short ever. He's great because of his mind and because he knows what works efficiently and he exploits holes in defenses. Most QB's can't process the game that well. They need long extended plays to find things. Brady finds it before it even starts.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Of course there is more, but that's the difference between him and just about everyone else. That's something I feel Belichick played a big role in teaching. Brady knows where he is throwing before that ball is snapped half the time, if not more. He can make every throw, but at key moments, he would often go to something quick and unguardable. That's how he made monsters out of his slot WR's and TE's. It extended beyond even just short quick passes. He is probably the best QB at QB sneaks on 4th and short ever. He's great because of his mind and because he knows what works efficiently and he exploits holes in defenses. Most QB's can't process the game that well. They need long extended plays to find things. Brady finds it before it even starts.
    I am suitably chastened. To Kozy's point, I'm a bit of a nitpick connoisseur, and after further introspection, it's not an inaccurate observation.

Bears take QB Justin Fields

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Carlos was up there promoting a good cause and every Bears fan was on the edge of their seats screaming JUST SAY THE ****ING PICK.
    https://youtu.be/T17q8GI1CfY

This was hilarious, I guess they didn’t have it on TV so when the “Bears Selection” banner popped up they were like wtf is taking so long [emoji1787]

All the fun begins at 1:40:00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has this pick changed anyone's opinion of Pace?

Obviously it depends on how this works out long term, but this has the potential to be the most impactful draft pick in modern franchise history.

I'm more wait and see on Nagy, but I have a more optimistic opinion of Pace then pre draft.

I thought Nagy handled that very well. Colin (who is a douche) asked him a very tough question and I thought he answered it perfectly. It’s not about his job but Fields’ development/future.

Also, I have to believe that he and pace get this year and next to turn this around. Letting them use future picks for Fields warrants at least a couple seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post

Obviously it depends on how this works out long term, but this has the potential to be the most impactful draft pick in modern franchise history.

I'm more wait and see on Nagy, but I have a more optimistic opinion of Pace then pre draft.
    I'm in that same mindset as well, though I find it hard to ignore last season. We went into the year with Foles and Trubisky as our QB options. I don't know if we just didnt see any way of getting to the QBs last year with Burrow/Tua/Herbert gone at 6 and not having a first round pick, but that was a pretty bad waste of a year.

Nagy is the other side of the coin. He has to perform this year, but if he doesn't that's also an indictment of Pace.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

I would say it didn't change anything for me. I think we all knew that if a situation like this presented itself, that Pace would jump at the bits to make it happen. No one has ever accused him of not being aggressive in pursuit of his guy. In this instance, while he did the right thing, he was also pretty lucky to have Fields fall the way he did. Props to him for sure, but maybe the best part of it was that he waited as long as he did (rumors were that ownership wasn't gonna let him mortage the future, so maybe they even had a piece in that).

His history is still important too and I'm also just not a huge fan of his draft philosophy as a whole, he's far too trusting of his player evaluations imo. Most analytical draft documents you read show that trading up is a bad idea unless you're getting a QB, and we've seen Pace get burned by it in the past. I remember how excited we all were for Anthony Miller, for example. As much as I love Teven Jenkins, it's a lot of stock to put in when there were still a lot of good tackles that were gonna be around. Anyway, the likelihood that we got an impact player is higher with Jenkins than some of the other options, but there's no guarantees and the 3rd round pick was a hefty price to pay for a team with as many holes as this one.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jenkins, and after the Fields pick, as far as I'm concerned, he could spend the other picks on almost anything without ruining this particular draft, but the warts are still the warts. I suppose it's more fun to have an overly aggressive GM than the alternative, but his risks being more calculated at times would be nice. We have a lot riding on guys with lots of questionmarks both in the short and long-term.

Also, I haven't been a big fan of his FAs at all, including this one. A-Rob and Hicks aside, he's had mostly poor signings. Some weird roster decisions too. Not sure how Graham makes the cut before Fuller and Leno. Curious to see how the rest of the off-season goes, but Fields aside, I'm torn at almost every other transaction he's made this off-season. I don't hate him or think he's a bad GM, but for every good move he makes there's one that's equally puzzling to me.

As much as he whiffed on Mitch, let's hope that he hit a home run with Fields, cause at the end of the day, success as a GM, like anything else in the NFL, pretty much hinges on finding your QB.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 05-06-2021 at 04:53 PM.

I wouldn't say my feelings towards Pace are drastically different than before, but I'd be willing to give him 2 more seasons, as WC mentioned. If not for anything else, I don't want Fields cycling through coaching staffs after just 1 season. Maybe he's good enough that it won't matter, but I feel like that turnover is not good for most young QB's.

I will say though, while I like plenty of Pace's draft picks over the years, there are some notable whiffs, and I've never been crazy about his sacrificing future picks either.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 05-06-2021 at 05:15 PM.

I'm not ready to forgive the Mitch pick, because everyone kinda knew how dumb it was, but if it works out, you have to give credit where credit is due. Not too mention Dalton isn't the worst QB to lead the helm before the torch gets passed. Overall, our QB situation is very promising, even though I don't love Fields. I really pray I am wrong AF though.

I wouldn't say my feelings towards Pace are drastically different than before, but I'd be willing to give him 2 more seasons, as WC mentioned. If not for anything else, I don't want Fields cycling through coaching staffs after just 1 season. Maybe he's good enough that it won't matter, but I feel like that turnover is not good for most young QB's.

I will say though, while I like plenty of Pace's draft picks over the years, there are some notable whiffs, and I've never been crazy about his sacrificing future picks either.
    Yeah, the Fields pick bought them a couple seasons for sure. Assuming next year isn't a 1-16 season, or something, they're here through 2022, then re-evaluate. I think this team is still probably in the .500 area. Although if Fields doesn't play and make an immediate impact, not sure.

Off-season isn't over though yet. Still hoping for an A-Rob extension & a 2nd wave of FA.

Yeah, the Fields pick bought them a couple seasons for sure. Assuming next year isn't a 1-16 season, or something, they're here through 2022, then re-evaluate. I think this team is still probably in the .500 area. Although if Fields doesn't play and make an immediate impact, not sure.

Off-season isn't over though yet. Still hoping for an A-Rob extension & a 2nd wave of FA.
    Yeah I still think you can squint and see a 9-10 win team if they can get some good names in FA.

His history is still important too and I'm also just not a huge fan of his draft philosophy as a whole, he's far too trusting of his player evaluations imo. Most analytical draft documents you read show that trading up is a bad idea unless you're getting a QB, and we've seen Pace get burned by it in the past. I remember how excited we all were for Anthony Miller, for example. As much as I love Teven Jenkins, it's a lot of stock to put in when there were still a lot of good tackles that were gonna be around. Anyway, the likelihood that we got an impact player is higher with Jenkins than some of the other options, but there's no guarantees and the 3rd round pick was a hefty price to pay for a team with as many holes as this one.
    Trading up only hurts when you miss on a pick/prospect. Yes, it's annoying that he does it so much, but his hit rate is so high that it offsets the lack of picks. It does put more pressure on Pace to hit on those picks, but since he's so good at a) hitting on players and b) scooping up late round gems

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status...93001032060936

I agree that paying a 3rd was a big price to pay to secure a tradeup for Jenkins, but if that pick loss is offset by another late round hit (odds say it will be) then its a wash.

People praise teams like the Pats and Packers for trading back to get more picks, but they both have a high miss rate and are bailed out by (until recently by the Pats) elite QB play.

And sure, there re other teams like the Ravens and Vikes that trade back and draft well, but the goal is the same for every team; hit on talent in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Yeah I still think you can squint and see a 9-10 win team if they can get some good names in FA.

If Rodgers is not on the field in Green Bay in week one then I can definitely see 9+ wins out of this squad.

This is a baptism by fire for Nagy and his offense now. No more excuses; he's got the bridge AND Franchise QB of his choice. He got the FA signings to run his KC-lite offense with Byrd and Williams and his o-line theoretically got better with the addition of Jenkins and Daniels returning from injury.

Alright "offensive guru" Prove it.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast