Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    This draft tells me our new D coaches want speed and youth in the secondary and lots of competition. And they arenít happy with who we have and how theyíve performed up to now. Camps going to be brutal
    The way it should be, make them earn it, if you can't hack get out of the way for someone who can.

Vincent Bonsignore
    @VinnyBonsignore
    Some envy expressed from another team's draft room regarding the
    @Raiders back-to-back third-round picks: "I loved the Koonce and Deablo picks. Two of my favorites"

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB

Some context on @Raiders decision to take Alex Leatherwood with No. 17 pick. Media crushed them but Leatherwood was going in first round. Spoke to multiple teams picking in 20-32 range that had Leatherwood in Round 1. Most donít agree with the pick but it wasnít a reach.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB

Some context on @Raiders decision to take Alex Leatherwood with No. 17 pick. Media crushed them but Leatherwood was going in first round. Spoke to multiple teams picking in 20-32 range that had Leatherwood in Round 1. Most donít agree with the pick but it wasnít a reach.
    Like I mentioned in another thread I heard the Colts and the Vikings were on Leatherwood in the early 20s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[/SIGPIC]
    [/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB

Exactly what I was saying. The "mock value" means absolutely nothing

Depends who you believe I guess.

Asked 11 coaches/GMs their biggest surprises in the draft Friday and Saturday. I didnít limit it to one. But ďAlex Leatherwood going 17thĒ was the winner, far and away.

That is from Peter Kingís column this morning. Iíve never heard of Jim Nagy but King is a respected and longtime reporter I think with better connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wang View Post

Asked 11 coaches/GMs their biggest surprises in the draft Friday and Saturday. I didnít limit it to one. But ďAlex Leatherwood going 17thĒ was the winner, far and away.

That is from Peter Kingís column this morning. Iíve never heard of Jim Nagy but King is a respected and longtime reporter I think with better connections.
    Peter King is more respected in the NFL but Jim Nagy is no slouch. He is the creator and executive of the Senior Bowl so Iím sure he has a lot of contact with front office personnel and coaches...long story short, I think itís safe to assume that people inside the league liked the Raider pick more than the talking heads and mock drafters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Peter King is more respected in the NFL but Jim Nagy is no slouch. He is the creator and executive of the Senior Bowl so Iím sure he has a lot of contact with front office personnel and coaches...long story short, I think itís safe to assume that people inside the league liked the Raider pick more than the talking heads and mock drafters.

Nagy was also a scout for the Seahawks before that.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post

I donít think jt was a terrible pick by any means. Just that we really donít have the benefit of the doubt here. This is the third year in a row itís been widely acknowledged we reached on first round picks. If the guys we took had performed, who cares what the ďexpertsĒ think. But they havenít, and to make matters worse, guys taken after us have performed. I think itís totally within reason to question if the team has the right approach to drafting.

It was a reach but not that big of a reach it was initially made out to be. I'm cool with the pick. He has all the tools to become a good tackle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Carr may very well be the worst starting QB in Raiders history. Carr is like a root canal that takes 8 hrs. The Raiders have stuck with this bum going on 7 seasons! All they have to show for it is excuses. I hope Mariorta runs him out of training camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Sounds as though Mayock is waxing the Pinto and installing fake leather seat covers and chrome hubcaps before posting it on Craigslist.

I donít think jt was a terrible pick by any means. Just that we really donít have the benefit of the doubt here. This is the third year in a row itís been widely acknowledged we reached on first round picks. If the guys we took had performed, who cares what the ďexpertsĒ think. But they havenít, and to make matters worse, guys taken after us have performed. I think itís totally within reason to question if the team has the right approach to drafting.
    Well said.

At the end of the day, if Leatherwood pans out and balls out, it's no big deal. But if he doesn't, I think even some of the people who were initially ok with this move will recharacterize it as a reach that should have never been made. For all of our sakes, let's just hope Leatherwood lives up to his draft position and more. And let's also hope that none of the OLs drafted after him make him look pedestrian by comparison.

Too many people are hung up on Leatherwood's draft position. We needed a right tackle and this dude started for 3 years in the best conference in college football. If Cable thought he fits our scheme the best, we should tell everyone else to pound sand.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Well said.

At the end of the day, if Leatherwood pans out and balls out, it's no big deal. But if he doesn't, I think even some of the people who were initially ok with this move will recharacterize it as a reach that should have never been made. For all of our sakes, let's just hope Leatherwood lives up to his draft position and more. And let's also hope that none of the OLs drafted after him make him look pedestrian by comparison.
    I agree with both of your assessments. Please don't anyone take offense at the following statement. "When you have a track record of missteps in 1st Rd draft selections even the most ardent fans tend to be skeptical." I do not think that it is just a Gruden/Mayock issue because since 2000 we have had 25 1st Rd Draft picks and only 4 made the Pro Bowl (SeaBass, Nmandi, Mack, and Jacobs) most washed out or went on to have better success with other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by attoonly View Post
    I agree with both of your assessments. Please don't anyone take offense at the following statement. "When you have a track record of missteps in 1st Rd draft selections even the most ardent fans tend to be skeptical." I do not think that it is just a Gruden/Mayock issue because since 2000 we have had 25 1st Rd Draft picks and only 4 made the Pro Bowl (SeaBass, Nmandi, Mack, and Jacobs) most washed out or went on to have better success with other teams.
    Yes, the franchise as a whole has had draft issues. When's the last time we've had a scouting department revamp?

That said, I do tend not to put too much stock in predraft evaluations of what a player's value is. If 20 teams have a guy as a 2nd rounder, but 12 think he's a 1st rounder ... well the consensus is he's a 2nd rounder when you read the web sites and watch the pre-draft shows, but odds are he'll be picked by someone in the 1st. And if "consensus" has a guy as a 1st rounder, but that consensus was 17-15, it's probably 50-50 that he goes in the 2nd round. But is 3 teams' difference of opinion between those two players really all that significant?

At the end of the day, if you're going to put all your faith in the pundits, you could save millions a year by not having your own scouting department at all, and just go off what's published on web sites. Although by definition you can expect to be a very average drafting team if you do that. That might be an improvement from where we are ... but you'll also have to give up on ever being good at it.

Itís a crap year to scout. A lot of these so called experts have players that havenít played in two years as first and second round picks.

How many players were great two years ago that arenít great now? How many players who were amazing this past year went from high picks(first two rounds mocked) to low picks or udfa? Many.

Marvin Wilson was considered at the end of the season an early first to mid second. Didnít have a combine. Ended up going udfa(now with the browns). Lol

Wyatt Davis was considered the best interior linemen to come out of football in a couple years. He was being mocked as early as 15. He was drafted 86th. Whaaat

Trey Smith from tennesse was being mocked in the second round. I think he went to the chiefs in the 6th round!!

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast