Tiger vs Yankees 4/30-5/2

Fri, Apr 30 • 7:05 PM EDT
    At Yankee Stadium
    TV: YES, Bally Sports Detroit

Tigers
    Tarik Skubal
    LHP
    0-3, 5.21 ERA, 17 SO
    Skubal found success with his splitter during Sunday's 2 2/3-inning piggyback start, and his fastball velocity was up a tick as well. A win Friday at Yankee Stadium would mark the first road victory of his young career.

VS

Yankees
    Gerrit Cole 3-1, 1.71 ERA, 50 SO

Sat, May 1 • 1:05 PM EDT
    At Yankee Stadium
    Tigers
    Spencer Turnbull
    RHP
    1-1, 3.27 ERA, 11 SO
    Turnbull allowed three runs across six innings but took the loss his last time out against the Royals, as much a victim of the Tigers' recent RISP woes as anything else. He fanned 8 during 5 innings in his only career appearance vs. the Yankees, Sept. 12, 201

vs

Yankees
    Jameson Taillon
    RHP
    0-2, 6.23 ERA, 21 SO
    Taillon has yet to find his form for the Yankees since being acquired on Jan. 24, but he has another chance here for his first win of the year. He had one of his worst career outings in his one start against the Tigers, allowing seven runs off 10 hits in 3 2/3 innings on April 25, 2018.

Sun, May 2 • 1:05 PM EDT
    At Yankee Stadium

Tigers
    Jose Urena
    RHP
    1-3, 3.77 ERA, 21 SO
    Ureña showed serious mettle his last time out, continuing to pitch aggressively and hold his team in the game despite the defense committing five errors behind him. His reward was his first win as a Tiger. Ureña has a 2.16 ERA in two career starts (8 1/3 innings) against the Yankees.

VS

Yankees
    Corey Kluber
    RHP
    1-2, 4.15 ERA, 19 SO
    Kluber broke through for his first victory of the season on Tuesday against the Orioles, allowing only one run in 6 2/3 innings (his longest start as a Yankee) while striking out five. He’ll look to keep that momentum going against the Tigers.

If kluber pitches like he did in his last start , I can see the yanks winning 2 of 3 in this series .

We have the Big 3 starting. We need the sweep to get back in this race for the East. A couple of more bad weeks and this team will be dead in the water.
    Soundgarden
    1. Fell on Black Days( Cornell with vocal perfection)
    2. Outshined
    3. Spoonman
    4. Black Hole Sun
    5. Loud Love
    6. Ugly Truth

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    We have the Big 3 starting. We need the sweep to get back in this race for the East. A couple of more bad weeks and this team will be dead in the water.
    They need a minimum of 2 out of 3 in this series . Anything less is inexcusable

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post

Back in the race? I didn't realize they were out of the race currently?
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    They need a minimum of 2 out of 3 in this series . Anything less is inexcusable
    last year yanks would have swept the oriorles and the indians. they have the tigers at home get a sweep..

if the yanks win 2/3 they woule be 13-15 in the first 28 games of the year when the yanke were projected to win 95.5 games this year..

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    last year yanks would have swept the oriorles and the indians. they have the tigers at home get a sweep..
    There was a point last season where they couldn’t beat the mets though

this is tremendous news, if we get Annibal Sanchez were a lock for the WS.....parade . I didn't think it was more than due dilligence, rather than actual interest.
    Free-agent RHP Aníbal Sánchez continues to evaluate his options as pitching injuries mount throughout the league, a source tells
    @TheAthletic
    . He will throw a four-inning bullpen tomorrow at Cressey Sports Performance, where he began working out about three weeks ago.
    per Rosenthal

I also continue to be told from my source that the Yanks and Nationals are still very much discussing Schmidt, Sanchez, low level prospect for Max and Lucroy... Washington is very high on both main pieces and believe Sanchez just needs a change of scenery, which is probably true at this point. No has said it is immanent or even close but they are very much continuing to discuss the framework of a possible deal.
    Max is going to make 35m this yr but a large part, 15m+ is differed for 10 yr, so he'll still have alot on his contract this yr and that might be a problem for Hal ..as always take it for whatever its worth to you

I would do that trade with the nats in a heartbeat . Just to be rid of Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    this is tremendous news, if we get Annibal Sanchez were a lock for the WS.....parade . I didn't think it was more than due dilligence, rather than actual interest.
    Free-agent RHP Aníbal Sánchez continues to evaluate his options as pitching injuries mount throughout the league, a source tells
    @TheAthletic
    . He will throw a four-inning bullpen tomorrow at Cressey Sports Performance, where he began working out about three weeks ago.
    per Rosenthal

I also continue to be told from my source that the Yanks and Nationals are still very much discussing Schmidt, Sanchez, low level prospect for Max and Lucroy... Washington is very high on both main pieces and believe Sanchez just needs a change of scenery, which is probably true at this point. No has said it is immanent or even close but they are very much continuing to discuss the framework of a possible deal.
    Max is going to make 35m this yr but a large part, 15m+ is differed for 10 yr, so he'll still have alot on his contract this yr and that might be a problem for Hal ..as always take it for whatever its worth to you
    I will gladly drive Sanchez to the airport

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    I will gladly drive Sanchez to the airport
    at this point so would I. I really wanted to give him a chance to rebuild his value but if we could get those 2 players, i'd take that.

The biggest problem is whats left on Maxs salary and who would pick it up.

Again my source didn't say this was absolutely going to happen, just that they were heavily discussing it. Zero guarantees.

Its kinda funny, for yrs we've all been saying our pitching and health was our biggest problem. So far we have the best team ERA in the AL at 3.22 and our BP has the 2nd best overall ERA just behind Toronto. We also haven't had anyone go one the IL since the season started, yet we are in last place.

I would say, so far we can't complain on the jobs Cressey, Briend and Blake have been doing, lets just hope they continue

That low team era is mainly from cole and the bullpen but still . I will take it .
    As for Sanchez only a fool couldn’t possibly see this coming after what happened with girardi . I admit I didn’t think Sanchez would be that bad either . But still this situation they are currently in with him isn’t very surprising at all
    Last edited by Posada20; 04-30-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    at this point so would I. I really wanted to give him a chance to rebuild his value but if we could get those 2 players, i'd take that.

The biggest problem is whats left on Maxs salary and who would pick it up.

Again my source didn't say this was absolutely going to happen, just that they were heavily discussing it. Zero guarantees.

Its kinda funny, for yrs we've all been saying our pitching and health was our biggest problem. So far we have the best team ERA in the AL at 3.22 and our BP has the 2nd best overall ERA just behind Toronto. We also haven't had anyone go one the IL since the season started, yet we are in last place.

I would say, so far we can't complain on the jobs Cressey, Briend and Blake have been doing, lets just hope they continue
    I was coming home from a reunion lunch yesterday and heard the last 2-3 innings on Sirrius,I was listening to the Orioles feed.When Gleyber hit the GRD I just had a feeling that we got jipped there by the ball bouncing over the wall.There were two outs and you would HOPE that the runners were running on contact (but hey you never know) and the O's announcers never said they got lucky cause the Yanks would have taken the lead had the ball stayed in play,but from what you guy's are saying yeah that's exactly what happened.

And then we have Wades AB. He's attempting to bunt and although the announcers are homers,I can picture in my mind this horrible feeble attempt at a sacrfice,and then he try's to bunt with two strikes? Now i'm driving alone but believe me out loud I say "did he bunt on his own? was that his decision? or did our mgr. leave the bunt sign on? It amazes me that ML ballplayers can't bunt. I know chick's dig the long ball,but I have news for you Tyler,You're not exactly the Bambino.

And as far as the Tauchman trade what's up with that? We traded a useful outfielder who can play all 3 position's for a career 4 plus era guy? Like you i'm hoping Florial is on the way up. We need someone who I'm hoping can make thing's happen,steal some bases adds some juice to this team.and at this point what's the harm? Can he really be any worse than Hick's at this point and time?

My apologies for all kind's of different subject's here that could all be in previous threads but I think we've got problem's and it's getting late early here

^The Wade AB was atrocious, he couldn't even begin to get a ball going towards fair ground. Just as u said he's not a long ball hitter, he's a career leadoff guy, he should be excellent in bunting.

I really don't know who's call it was to bunt with 2 strikes but in all honesty even with 2 strike a player with Wade's abilities, soft hand, bunts for base hits ect, that he still should be able to get a bunt down with 2 strikes... it was horrible fundamental baseball and a horrible play all around, regardless who made the 2 strike call

Same with Clint running on contact the other night. They are completely lacking fundamentals and IMO thats on the coaching staff. Sure MLB players should be good enough not to make those errors, but it's on the coach to practice those things.

Boone and Thames need to get these guys in the cage and instead of working on hitting bomb worry about going the other way and make contact... yeah the player aren't performing but Boone ain't helping at all. We really haven't played great going back to last yr and we certainly can't blame the injuries or pitching this yr. Unless we somehow win the WS, i think Boone has gotta go at the end of the season. I would advocate much sooner but I don't think Hal and Cash have the sack to fire a manager mid season.. Thames on the other hand i could certainly see them making a change there

I agree, i really, really don't understand the Tauchman trade, especially the timing. We had better offers for him this winter and even into ST. Cashman came out and said they wanted IFA cash, a draft pick, a good spec or a young controllable reliever. Hicks, Gardy and Frazier are among the players that are absolutely struggling the most and now is the time to trade Tauchman ?after less than 20 ABs for a bad career middle reliever? our BP has been our biggest strength. How in the actual F does that make this team better going forward. I just don't see it but maybe Tauchman was bad in the clubhouse?? still

The return makes no sense based on need, we already have 3 solid LHed pitchers in the BP with another elite one in Brit returning, why do we need another one. We have a ton of arms that will be ready for the BP this yr that have a way higher ceiling with this guy.

The ONLY way this trade makes any sense is if Florial is ready, defensively we know that he can handle any position in the OF and has a better arm than Hicks and with his speed he's a threat on the bases. Last i checked none of Hicks, Gardy or Frazier were even hitting .200, how much worse could Florial possibly be. Even if he only hits .220 against RHed pitchers thats still a significant improvement over Hicks.083 BA from the LH side.

The only thing that is still up in the air is the PTNL, draft picks and IFA signing that have signed in the last yr can't be traded until they have been with the team they signed with for 1yr. So that player could still be a very high ceiling lottery ticket from last yr, which would make this deal make more sense.

If Florial isn't ready, what in the world are they doing. We saw Wade playing in the OF last night, that just doesn't work. He doesn't even deserve to be on the MLB roster after that bunting debacle

The whole damn thing other than Cole, Gio and the majority of the BP is beyond worrisome this far into the season... this is way past a slow start and we can't keep blaming it on that. We need some accountability or atleast some kind of understanding of whats going on. These players, for the most part, have proven in the past that they are way to good to be this bad for this long. I don't know what it is that is effecting this team but IMHO its far more than just being off to a slow start. If we can't beat the bad teams in the regular season, woof we can't possibly be think were going to beat playoff teams

Thats why the early connection to Max is a little questionable to me. Yes he would be a clear upgrade to the rotation but he's only signed through the rest of the yr. At this point with the way the offense has performed we'd need shutouts every game. Castillio would be a long term piece, to me that makes more sense
    Last edited by dayners81; 04-30-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast