Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

NFL Draft Day 3, Rounds 4-7

Will unlock Saturday morning. Discuss rounds 4-7 picks and news here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for the lightning rounds!

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Time for the lightning rounds!
    AKA NFL degenerate fan day.

Lions drafting athletic players on defense. Is this what joy feels like? I thought we were only allowed slow, unathletic 2-down players.

Loved the Jabril Cox pick by the Cowboys. They are seriously loading up on defense (finally). Jaylon and LVE should be really worried right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Loved the Jabril Cox pick by the Cowboys. They are seriously loading up on defense (finally). Jaylon and LVE should be really worried right now.

LVE not so much. But Jaylon for sure. LVE has played well when healthy

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasTeam View Post
    LVE not so much. But Jaylon for sure. LVE has played well when healthy
    Thatís the problem though, he canít stay healthy. There are already rumors that they wonít pick up the 5th year option on him. That would make this a contract year for him. If he canít stay on the field this season there will be no reason to resign him.

Just reading draft grades and a general comment... when you're grading day 3 picks, if you give a negative grade because of "need" then that's a huge red flag that maybe no one should take your opinion seriously. Between a quarter and a third of these guys will even be in the NFL past their rookie contracts for a second deal (if they even make it to the end of them). Drafting a player who plays a position of need does not fill that need if the guy can't play, and the harsh reality is that the overwhelming of the guys drafted today won't be able to play.

Need is always relevant to the extent that you prefer guys on day 3 who have good openings to make your roster, never mind actually play. And obviously a similarly graded player will be given priority if he plays a need spot. But to be grading picks today on account of need is quite silly.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

We could have taken an undrafted RB instead of wasting for one here in the mids. We need defensive backs!!!!

Pats took Oklahoma RB Rhamondre Stevenson

He's a big back at 6' 230 lbs. Apparently he's got extremely quick feet for his size but is lacking in straight line speed as you'd expect a guy his size too. Grades very well as a pass protector and has shown SOME receiving usefulness. Ha also played on all of the different special teams units for them.

Easy to see the logic of how he fits in NE. We have Damian Harris and Sony Michel as 1st and 2nd down backs so it's not a need right now. Michel's option won't be picked up though and historically the Pats have preferred to "red shirted" their rookie RBs so that lines up well for Stevenson to assume his role next year. Now generally those "red shirt" guys have been pass catchers and presumably learning blocking schemes and blitz pickup is the reason for being hesitant to throw them out there - 1st and 2nd down inside runners have played immediately (Maroney, Ridley, Michel when he was a rookie). Burkhead is a FA still and receiving from a late season knee injury so there's a role there to be won even with Harris/Michel/White returning. Burkhead's role was based on being a threat to run AND catch. Harris/Michel are useless in the passing game and White is a weak runner. Stevenson definitely projects more towards the Harris/Michel class but seemingly has more usefulness in the passing game which maybe helps him carve out a role. I will say that last year's UDFA JJ Taylor is a guy they seemingly like who could fit that Burkhead mold. But Stevenson's special teams experience could help him earn a gameday active spot too and then that opens up time for him to play in certain packages.

Ideal upside if you compare to past Patriot running backs is that he's Legarrette Blount with more receiving chops. The moderate payoff is that he's Sony Michel level which is disappointing for where Michel was drafted but would be very solid for a 4th rounder. And obviously the downside is that he's a total bust as a runner and you just hope he can hang on in a Brandon Bolden type special teams player niche.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    We could have taken an undrafted RB instead of wasting for one here in the mids. We need defensive backs!!!!
    We need a RB, too. And we just took a CB.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    We need a RB, too. And we just took a CB.
    Heís howie roseman

I like the eagles day 3 picks so far

Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    I like the eagles day 3 picks so far
    Maybe Kenneth Gainwell can teach DeVonta Smith how to put on weight.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast