Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    I hope one of our four 6th round picks will be a punter.
    Iím cool with that

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    21,068
    Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    Unless we draft actual NEEDS! Opposing teams receivers will all look like studs cause we have no one to guard nor keep up with them.
    Need is the worst talent evaluator.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,991
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Need is the worst talent evaluator.
    ****ing preach man. People act like it's a task list you just check things off of. If you need a CB, WR, TE, whatever, and you draft one, you didn't address that need unless the guy is good. Just adding a body at a spot doesn't address anything.

    2/3 of these guys drafted today will be out of the NFL by the time their rookie deals are up. Most of them are no better than the players our favorite teams all have on the roster already that we complain about. The most important thing is trying to draft the guys who are better. If that's a need spot then double yay but that's awfully greedy to hope for and it steers you in a bad direction if you prioritize it too much at this stage.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    ****ing preach man. People act like it's a task list you just check things off of. If you need a CB, WR, TE, whatever, and you draft one, you didn't address that need unless the guy is good. Just adding a body at a spot doesn't address anything.

    2/3 of these guys drafted today will be out of the NFL by the time their rookie deals are up. Most of them are no better than the players our favorite teams all have on the roster already that we complain about. The most important thing is trying to draft the guys who are better. If that's a need spot then double yay but that's awfully greedy to hope for and it steers you in a bad direction if you prioritize it too much at this stage.
    Okay but drafting Sony Michel over Lamar was neither BPA or a Need at the time. Drafting Lamar as a RB alone would have a bigger impact. Never liked Sony during the draft.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,991
    Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    Okay but drafting Sony Michel over Lamar was neither BPA or a Need at the time. Drafting Lamar as a RB alone would have a bigger impact. Never liked Sony during the draft.
    Actually thanks for making my point. Running back WAS a need for us as we didn't have any starting caliber players there. Michel filled that need but obviously looking back it'd have been better to have landed the guy who was a better player.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,991
    Love the scheme projection here with ILB Cam McGrone to NE. Michigan runs some multiple looks up front like NE does and he showed an aptitude to handle that as an ILB. He's a little smaller than we've typically preferred at the ILB spot, but he plays with the attacking downhill style that we've favored nonetheless. At only 20 years old he's got some development left to do but it's a good scheme fit IMO.

    There's some opportunity for playing time at ILB next to Hightower but with a guy like Kyle Van Noy on the EDGE and Jalen Mills/Kyle Dugger/Adrian Phillips at Strong Safety, we have guys who likely combine to fill that spot just to get best players on the field. But developmental guys behind Hightower are good to add.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Actually thanks for making my point. Running back WAS a need for us as we didn't have any starting caliber players there. Michel filled that need but obviously looking back it'd have been better to have landed the guy who was a better player.
    Drafting a RB should never be a need for any team even if its the team greatest needs. This isn't the 80s where smash mouth is the name of the game. The pick was just Belichick the GM believing he can do no wrong no matter just cause they drafted Brady who does more for the team with less for the past 2 decades.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,074
    RB as a need in the first round I meant with so many premium positions to fill that niche of BPA.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,991
    Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    Drafting a RB should never be a need for any team even if its the team greatest needs. This isn't the 80s where smash mouth is the name of the game. The pick was just Belichick the GM believing he can do no wrong no matter just cause they drafted Brady who does more for the team with less for the past 2 decades.
    Not sure the relevance of what you're talking about here honestly. Michel was a terrible pick. You'll get no argument from me there. It was a major misevaluation both of how good he is as player and how good the others were (because even if you stick at the same position there were better options on the board).

    It doesn't change at all what I'm saying. Drafting for need on day 3 is silly. Most of these guys will be terrible players. You're just trying to find the ones that defy the odds to actually be quality NFL players. You're already facing an uphill climb to get a player worth drafting and you're only making it even harder on yourself if you limit yourself to a certain position.

    I never said it's easy to determine who those best players available are. No one is ever going to be perfect and everyone will always make mistakes. Even in the higher rounds.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,991
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/j...soe/uKyCbg9wKJ

    Josh Bledsoe, Pats pick at #188 seems to fit the scheme in a Pat Chung SS/LB/Slot type of role. That's awfully repetitive with Kyle Dugger/Jalen Mills/Adrian Phillips already on the roster. Probably needs to be a special teams standout to make the team and stick around for the long haul. But his play style does fit schematically what we do with that position.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Not sure the relevance of what you're talking about here honestly. Michel was a terrible pick. You'll get no argument from me there. It was a major misevaluation both of how good he is as player and how good the others were (because even if you stick at the same position there were better options on the board).

    It doesn't change at all what I'm saying. Drafting for need on day 3 is silly. Most of these guys will be terrible players. You're just trying to find the ones that defy the odds to actually be quality NFL players. You're already facing an uphill climb to get a player worth drafting and you're only making it even harder on yourself if you limit yourself to a certain position.

    I never said it's easy to determine who those best players available are. No one is ever going to be perfect and everyone will always make mistakes. Even in the higher rounds.
    Yeah i know what your saying. It just that the Eagles pick a RB as BPA in a non premium position pissed me off when NEED in a premium position like corner is much more important to winning games. When it comes to RB, the o-line dictates their success so just grab a pair of fresh legs after the draft and let them do their thing which the Steelers will regret their first round decision imo.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    21,068
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Not sure the relevance of what you're talking about here honestly. Michel was a terrible pick. You'll get no argument from me there. It was a major misevaluation both of how good he is as player and how good the others were (because even if you stick at the same position there were better options on the board).
    Honestly, if the Patriots only ever won the 2018 Super Bowl, it would probably be considered a good pick, because Michel was fairly instrumental in these playoffs.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,991
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Honestly, if the Patriots only ever won the 2018 Super Bowl, it would probably be considered a good pick, because Michel was fairly instrumental in these playoffs.
    Yeah that's an interesting conversation to have actually. My thing though is was it Sony Michel that was instrumental or was it the run game? They had a dominant run blocking OL with a motivated Trent Brown at LT, Thuney at LG, David Andrews at C, Shaq Mason at RG and a younger Marcus Cannon at RT. James Develin played a lot for a FB in the modern game and was a crushing blocker. Gronkowski was past his prime as a receiver but still a crushing blocker. Dwayne Allen was an awesome blocking TE as well. They kept feeding Michel the ball but I don't think he was really individually spectacular. Hard to argue that Nick Chubb, drafted a few spots later, wouldn't have been able to replicate that for example. With the low free agent prices for RBs could they have gotten that spot addressed with a Michel level talent at a low enough cost and use the 1st rounder elsewhere? Probably.

    Things happened how they did and a super bowl is a super bowl. Michel played a big role. So yeah, if the football gods came down and asked me if we could change the Michel pick and take our chances that we still win a super bowl, I probably just take the one in the hand over the two in the bush. But in terms of general draft approach and process, that pick is an example of one you don't want. He's just not worth that pick. Again, even if you do go for the need at that position Nick Chubb went right after him.

    I also would call out that I've been talking about drafting for need on day 3. That equation changes some when you're talking higher picks. My point is on day 3 that it's defying the odds for any of these guys to even be good enough to play so you can't get greedy trying to narrow it down to a specific position on top of that. In the 1st round you can draft for need and reasonably expect that you'll get production at that spot. So I think it's something you do consider more heavily that high.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Need is the worst talent evaluator.
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    ****ing preach man. People act like it's a task list you just check things off of. If you need a CB, WR, TE, whatever, and you draft one, you didn't address that need unless the guy is good. Just adding a body at a spot doesn't address anything.

    2/3 of these guys drafted today will be out of the NFL by the time their rookie deals are up. Most of them are no better than the players our favorite teams all have on the roster already that we complain about. The most important thing is trying to draft the guys who are better. If that's a need spot then double yay but that's awfully greedy to hope for and it steers you in a bad direction if you prioritize it too much at this stage.
    Amen

  15. #45
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    21,068
    JaCoby Stevens. I like this pick. Top-25 recruit. I wonder will he play LB?

    Now let's get a punter in round 7!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •