Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Miami prob gonna let dipo walk tbh and throw money at Lowry

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    Miami prob gonna let dipo walk tbh and throw money at Lowry
    Oladipo sucks now lol was super happy when Houston traded him.

Looks like we'll have Freddy G on the team for two years at the minimum. Between him, Yuta and the core, the 2021/2022 squad is already taking shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Raptor View Post
    Looks like we'll have Freddy G on the team for two years at the minimum. Between him, Yuta and the core, the 2021/2022 squad is already taking shape.
    Very happy to see that. Good signing

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Raptor View Post
    Good for Gillespie. Good depth signing.

Watson and Bembry have options for next year too. Curious if the keep either or both. Small contracts. Boucher at 7 million should be a no brainer.

I imagine Baynes, Hood and Stanley are gone.

VanVleet/Flynn
    Trent/Bembry/Watson
    OG/Watanabe
    Siakam/Boucher
    Gillespie

That is 10 roster spots. We will see what happens with Lowry. I'd be shocked if Birch isn't brought back. Then our 1st rounder and a couple 2nd rounders. And Jalen Harris I guess too.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Good for Gillespie. Good depth signing.

Watson and Bembry have options for next year too. Curious if the keep either or both. Small contracts. Boucher at 7 million should be a no brainer.

I imagine Baynes, Hood and Stanley are gone.

VanVleet/Flynn
    Trent/Bembry/Watson
    OG/Watanabe
    Siakam/Boucher
    Gillespie

That is 10 roster spots. We will see what happens with Lowry. I'd be shocked if Birch isn't brought back. Then our 1st rounder and a couple 2nd rounders. And Jalen Harris I guess too.
    My fear is with out Lowrys leadership that team might struggle to reach 40 wins

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Itís the only way we will be able to assess Freddie to see if he can be more of a leader.

We aren't going to win a championship with Lowry on that roster either. And every year he drifts further from his prime. In terms of leadership, I guess my thoughts would be, "how could that impact the development of young players?" What would be the value attached to that?

The roster you are commenting on also could have 20 million in cap space for trade/FA additions as well. Our lottery pick could be a difference maker out the gate too, depending on who we draft. I just listed it to get a sense of what we already have as an option. Bringing back Lowry is an option to supplement that team.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Itís the only way we will be able to assess Freddie to see if he can be more of a leader.
    No its not. There were plenty of opportunities to assess that this year. Also its not all on Freddy. Freddy is more of a vocal leader. Hes never going to be a floor general, thats just not his game. That doesnt mean he cant be very effective in his own role which I think is completely different than Lowry's who leads the team by example on the court.

We aren't going to win a championship with Lowry on that roster either. And every year he drifts further from his prime. In terms of leadership, I guess my thoughts would be, "how could that impact the development of young players?" What would be the value attached to that?

The roster you are commenting on also could have 20 million in cap space for trade/FA additions as well. Our lottery pick could be a difference maker out the gate too, depending on who we draft. I just listed it to get a sense of what we already have as an option. Bringing back Lowry is an option to supplement that team.
    were not anywhere near contention so none of this has to do with winning a ship next year. That's not with in reach for the immediate future of a retooling team.

What Im saying has to do directly with the bolded. This team is going to be super young next season. Guys like OG, Freddy, Siakam have already bought in to the system and culture.

But who would greatly benefit from Lowrys presence would be guys like Boucher, Flynn, GTJ, Gillespie, Yuta, the 3 rookies were gonna draft etc. I think they can gain a lot, especially if Lowry comes off the bench to lead that 2nd unit full of inexperience. Playing with Lowry for a couple seasons could do a lot for their development and getting a costumed to how the team wants to play. There's a lot of value in that. I just would like to see it on a reasonable deal.

Bench mob next year could look like this:

Flynn
    Lowry (6th man)
    Yuta
    Boucher
    Gillespie

+ 3 rookies. Im sure atleast one or two of them will be in the 905, but one could be in the rotation depending on who we pick. But we know there will be a lot of youth coming in one way or the other. I would feel 10x more confident with them being lead by Lowry. It could make our bench really good, and Lowry would still be there to mentor FVV & Flynn as well because neither of them look ready to lead pg spot full time yet.

were not anywhere near contention so none of this has to do with winning a ship next year. That's not with in reach for the immediate future of a retooling team.

What Im saying has to do directly with the bolded. This team is going to be super young next season. Guys like OG, Freddy, Siakam have already bought in to the system and culture.

But who would greatly benefit from Lowrys presence would be guys like Boucher, Flynn, GTJ, Gillespie, Yuta, the 3 rookies were gonna draft etc. I think they can gain a lot, especially if Lowry comes off the bench to lead that 2nd unit full of inexperience. Playing with Lowry for a couple seasons could do a lot for their development and getting a costumed to how the team wants to play. There's a lot of value in that. I just would like to see it on a reasonable deal.
    I agree. For me, the evaluation will be whether that is worth more than other options that could be in front of them with that cap space. And it is impossible at this point to know what those options are. All in all, I like the foundation of FVV/OG/Siakam still. FVV are on really good contracts in my opinion, while Siakam is paid more than I'd like. Trent and Flynn bring me some optimism. We'll obviously need more, but there are a bunch of positives to take from our situation. Hopefully we luck into a Top 4 selection .

I agree. For me, the evaluation will be whether that is worth more than other options that could be in front of them with that cap space. And it is impossible at this point to know what those options are. All in all, I like the foundation of FVV/OG/Siakam still. FVV are on really good contracts in my opinion, while Siakam is paid more than I'd like. Trent and Flynn bring me some optimism. We'll obviously need more, but there are a bunch of positives to take from our situation. Hopefully we luck into a Top 4 selection .
    The first bolded part, when I look at the UFAs its hard to see a player on that list that would bring more value. Now thats not considering RFAs which there are a few guys that could bring more value. So youre right its about a) how much does Lowry want, and b) who else is available that we could spend the money on who would be worth while. The list is real short. But even then Id rather Lowry walk than pay him something ridiculously outrages. If those rumours of him wanting $25 mill were true, I will gladly help pack his bags.

As for the 2nd bolded part... Im glad Im not the only one saying it anymore. Ive hushed down on Siakams contract, but I still think it will hamper us. first let me just say that I understand the premium for good SF-PF in the league. I understand that if we didnt give him that contract someone else may very well have. With that said, I still think he is vastly over paid and it is only a problem because after extending OG, FVV, and next year GTJ and possibly Lowry or another free agent etc, Siakams contract at that point will be the one that will prevent us from going after anyone else in the next 3-4 years. Its something I was thinking about since last season. I think more and more noise will be made about that contract next year onwards. Its not just a matter of how good he is, or isnt, its a matter of how the contract itself hamstrings the team.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 04-28-2021 at 03:20 PM.

The first bolded part, when I look at the UFAs its hard to see a player on that list that would bring more value. Now thats not considering RFAs which there are a few guys that could bring more value. So youre right its about a) how much does Lowry want, and b) who else is available that we could spend the money on who would be worth while. The list is real short. But even then Id rather Lowry walk than pay him something ridiculously outrages. If those rumours of him wanting $25 mill were true, I will gladly help pack his bags.

As for the 2nd bolded part... Im glad Im not the only one saying it anymore. Ive hushed down on Siakams contract, but I still think it will hamper us. first let me just say that I understand the premium for good SF-PF in the league. I understand that if we didnt give him that contract someone else may very well have. With that said, I still think he is vastly over paid and it is only a problem because after extending OG, FVV, and next year GTJ and possibly Lowry or another free agent etc, Siakams contract at that point will be the one that will prevent us from going after anyone else in the next 3-4 years. Its something I was thinking about since last season. I think more and more noise will be made about that contract next year onwards. Its not just a matter of how good he is, or isnt, its a matter of how the contract itself hamstrings the team.
    That's not really black and white though. There are loads of ways to acquire talent being over the cap. Signing UFA's isn't the most common way to acquire talent. Mant teams don't actually use cap space to bring players in anymore. You might actually need a big contract to use for contract matching in a trade (ie. if Golden State, with the highest payroll in the NBA wanted to added a big name via trade... let's say Beal.... they could use a bloated Wiggins contract and attach Wiseman, Twolves pick, etc to make something like that happen). It changes how you can acquire talent and limits some options, but I'm not too worried about that.

That's not really black and white though. There are loads of ways to acquire talent being over the cap. Signing UFA's isn't the most common way to acquire talent. Mant teams don't actually use cap space to bring players in anymore. You might actually need a big contract to use for contract matching in a trade (ie. if Golden State, with the highest payroll in the NBA wanted to added a big name via trade... let's say Beal.... they could use a bloated Wiggins contract and attach Wiseman, Twolves pick, etc to make something like that happen). It changes how you can acquire talent and limits some options, but I'm not too worried about that.
    I really think it depends on the contract and the value the player brings. Wiggins is a great example. The Warriors have been rumored to be interested in Beal, Siakam, and almost every other big name that shows up in trade rumors. The problem is that no one is going to take Wiggins and send back a star player. Not even if you included someone like Oubre or Green. So the Warriors are looking to fleece is what they are doing and its no surprise to me that Wiggins hasn't been moved and likely never will be. Unless they wait for when hes expiring or if they simply want to offload him. But they will not be getting the sort of impact player they are hoping for. simply put. Can they move him yeah sure they could, if the 6ers could move Horford then anyone can be traded, but they will not get the return they would hope for. In fact it might take a pick to off load Wiggins. His contract is just ridiculous and while he has been playing better this season, its still no where near worth the contract that he is on.

Now I don't have the same opinion of Siakam. I think he is a far better player all around. Thing is though, I don't think were ever going to be interested in moving him either. So that just doesn't apply here because I think were going to ride it out with Siakam and again I'm not mad at that. I like the player, I'm just not crazy about the contract. If Siakam was making $25 mill a year I would be fine with that. But $33.6 & $35.9 to me is too much. I'm guessing that's what you meant when you said you weren't crazy about his contract either.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 04-28-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast