Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cardinals (6-6) at Phillies (6-6) April 16-18

at

Friday, April 16, 6:05 PM CT

Carlos Martinez
    RHP, 0-2, 6.30 ERA, 5 SO
    Two turns through the rotation, no Cardinals starter was more reliable than Martínez by durability standards as he was the only one to pitch at least five innings each start. Not the highest bar, but the right-hander will look to build off allowing three runs over five frames last outing.
    vs.

Zach Eflin
    RHP, 0-0, 3.46 ERA, 10 SO
    Following a rainout in the series finale against the Mets on Thursday, Zach Eflin will instead take the bump Friday when the Phillies host the Cardinals. Eflin has made just one career regular-season start against St. Louis, when he pitched 4 2/3 innings in a 7-6 Phils win on May 19, 2018.
    Saturday, April 17, 3:05 PM CT

Kwang Hyun Kim
    The Cardinals' left-hander will make his awaited 2021 debut in Philadelphia after a stellar rookie season. Sidelined by a back issue, Kim struggled in Spring Training and will now be relied upon heavily to help a scuffling rotation.
    vs.

Matt Moore
    LHP, 0-0, 7.56 ERA, 9 SO
    Moore has struggled in his first two starts with the Phillies, getting tagged for 13 hits, seven runs, four walks and two home runs in just 8 1/3 innings. The Phillies will be patient with Moore, whom they signed to stabilize the back of the rotation.
    Sunday, April 18, 12:05 PM CT

John Gant
    RHP, 0-1, 3.00 ERA 8 SO
    Surviving the first round of rotation shuffling, Gant will look to cement his place as a starter after battling through five innings, allowing three runs, last time out. Though Gant has been inefficient at times, he's been able to find the strikeout pitches he's needed.
    vs.

Aaron Nola
    RHP, 0-1, 3.45 ERA, 18 SO
    Nola was not at his sharpest against the Mets on April 13, needing 92 pitches to get through five innings in which he allowed three runs on seven hits. He hasn't had a good feel for his sinker, to date.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals

We suck right now..

I will be glad once Carlos Martinez is gone..

Quote Originally Posted by LF85 View Post
    We suck right now..
    pretty much. Some bad defense behind Martinez. Yet Martinez still sucks and is a headcase. He lets things get to him and he looses it. This team to me even before the season began was probably a barely above .500 team. The starting pitching is bad. And their outfield has to be one of if not the worst in baseball. Bad combo.

Plus they continue to try to get a buck out of Carpenter. Right now the Cardinals problem is they don't have enough major league players. If they had some average MLB players to go with the above average guys they would be different. You have Goldsmith, Arenado, Edman, and Yadi. Flaherty, Hicks, Reyes. Wainwright has been but at his age you don't know if he is trying to straighten out or its just over.

This offense is very feast/famine.... hopefully things level out. Good win today!

This carpenter experiment at 5th in the lineup needs to end.

Gant leaving his fbs in the middle of the zone. Phillies have been squaring him up.

Unfortunately, it does not look like today's offense is the "feast" offense.

I'm off the Carpenter bandwaggon. Just horrible... can't even make contact.

We have 1 quality start in 15 games. Starting pitching better figure out a way to get deeper in games or the pen is gonna be spent by June.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    I'm off the Carpenter bandwaggon. Just horrible... can't even make contact.
    What the heck happened to him? He fell off quick..

It seems the shift did him in. Either he can't or won't hit against it. The idea is I give up my power ...well a single is better than an out. Unfortunately they don't have anyone in the minors better. Plus they won't spend anymore. Buy one very good player and hope these minor leaguers catch fire. It seems Alberts is a bust.

Carpenter just refuses to hit it the other way. His swing is just pure dip and uppercut swing. Even balls that are on the outer third of the plate he rolls over on instead of driving it into the gap. If he would just let the ball travel and drive it the other way he would be infinitely better. Hell slap it the other way seeing they are giving him 80% of the left side being wide open. There is no justification for him batting 5th. If he starts he needs to be at the bottom.

This lineup isn't working. No production after Yadi in the lineup. Lineup needs to be reshuffled. I don't think we can go with Goldy at the 2 spot for much longer.

Edman
    Carlson
    Goldy
    Arenado
    Molina
    Dean
    DeJong
    Williams
    P

This would be my lineup with Nogowski given more chances as well in LF. But this has been all around team effort in not playing well. Poor defense and ineffective starting pitching. Luckily its early in the season and have time to course correct.