Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Positionless basketball PG rankings

Just thought it was interesting that a list of top NBA PGs right now comes out and 4 of the top 4 are not traditional PGs with LeBron, Harden, and Luka in 3 of the top 4 spots and Curry being the other and the only one who is physically traditional but who isn't the top ball distributor on his own team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/15-best-poi...192829491.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Just thought it was interesting that a list of top NBA PGs right now comes out and 4 of the top 4 are not traditional PGs with LeBron, Harden, and Luka in 3 of the top 4 spots and Curry being the other and the only one who is physically traditional but who isn't the top ball distributor on his own team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/15-best-poi...192829491.html
    No mention of Jokic or Randle in there

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    No mention of Jokic or Randle in there
    True, though they don't play in the same part of the floor as even a positionless guard would.

True, though they don't play in the same part of the floor as even a positionless guard would.
    Randle is always running offense on Knicks while pg hang out on corner end lol.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

What's the definition of a "traditional" point guard? Is it a requirement that they average more assists than points? Is it about being a certain height? If anything, Harden, Luka and LeBron are wayyyy closer to being a "traditional" point guard than Steph in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    What's the definition of a "traditional" point guard? Is it a requirement that they average more assists than points? Is it about being a certain height? If anything, Harden, Luka and LeBron are wayyyy closer to being a "traditional" point guard than Steph in my eyes.
    I think a traditional PG plays mostly outside toward the top of the circle, bring the ball up most, and are the main driver of the offense, the main distributor, and guard the smaller guys on the other team.

The thing that makes LeBron, Luka, and Harden unusual is not so much their roles in the offense but that they were listed not as PG for most of their careers and/or play with other players who would more traditionally be the PG on their teams.

I donít understand the article. I think itís kinda stupid.

How do you define a position using the narrative of position-less basketball and than go ahead and put a traditional pg like Chris Paul on the list? Is this just just a list of the best pgs based on his opinion? Thatís what it looks like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I donít understand the article. I think itís kinda stupid.

How do you define a position using the narrative of position-less basketball and than go ahead and put a traditional pg like Chris Paul on the list? Is this just just a list of the best pgs based on his opinion? Thatís what it looks like to me.
    From the main stream sports media the vast majority of what we get is just opinion. It takes time, study, and effort to make cogent well rounded statistical arguments to support your position.

From the main stream sports media the vast majority of what we get is just opinion. It takes time, study, and effort to make cogent well rounded statistical arguments to support your position.
    When were talking position less point guards, Lebron comes to mind, Simmons come to mind. A lot of the names on the list are just regular point guards. Some more offensive minded, some more of the mold of a floor general. But the league has always had that. I agree that guys like Doncic, Harden, Lebron, Simmons aren't traditional point guards. But a lot of the guys on the list I would say are. Like if Ja Morant isnt a point guard, what exactly is he lol Paul, Walker, Lillard, Curry etc... all point guards just offensive minded imo.

Its an interesting topic. The position-less era has blurred the lines.

The one thing I cant stand is going small. Basketball has always been a sport for tall people. It just makes sense. its not like the basket is on the ground. I think we will see the return of the C position with guys like Jokic, Embiid, Towns, Vuc, Gobert showing that there is still value in natural 5s. I know this is a bit off topic, but to me a point guard can be almost anyone who can handle and facilitate the ball. As someone mentioned above we now have bigs that can dictate and run the offense and guards who sit on the perimeter waiting to catch and shoot. At some point I would like to see some more defined traditional roles. I don't mind change, but not if it takes away from the game. I don't ever want to see a guy like PJ Tucker playing the 5 again. Its so stupid. I hated it when the Rockets were doing that.

and of course this is opinion based. Maybe there's guys who enjoy watching teams go small. Just not my cup of tea.