Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Of course I am not suggesting that we should have kept Lowrie over McNeil.

I guess I will now disregard Hank Aaron's all time RBI leader with 2,297 or the Babe's 2,214 as they were team stats . I will now also erase Alonso's 120 RBIs in 2019 .

You could be correct about Ramos, I have no idea . Are you a Tiger fan ? Did you watch all 15 Tiger games ?
    Fun Fact: the RBI stat was not an official stat until 1920 so those stat prior to that should be an asterisks on it.

Also, Branch Rickey was not a fan of the RBI in evaluating a player. I can't find the quote online, and I can't remember which book I read it in.

I am correct about Ramos, I watched him for the better part of the last two years. He sucked. His dWAR says he sucks. As the saying goes, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

You should read my previous post.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

It’s been two weeks so yeah it’s a bit early.

Let’s revisit this at the end of June.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsmets View Post
    Actually, Lowrie Wilpon'd the Wilpons...
    bbs sighting??? Holy crap!

But actually the Wilpons Wilpon’d Lowrie like usual. They wouldn’t let him get him his knee procedure and he was hurt for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    FYI was very good for the Dodgers so ummm
    That's true. Guess you can say with Ryu was him discovering it the year before free agency. He was good but not cy young caliber prior. But then took his game to new level.

Still mind boggling when he was free agent, got 80M and a lot of people (myself included) thought that was way high

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    That's true. Guess you can say with Ryu was him discovering it the year before free agency. He was good but not cy young caliber prior. But then took his game to new level.

Still mind boggling when he was free agent, got 80M and a lot of people (myself included) thought that was way high

Look at his last two years with Dodgers.

I mean he was the runner up to deGrom when he won the CY in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    bbs sighting??? Holy crap!

But actually the Wilpons Wilpon’d Lowrie like usual. They wouldn’t let him get him his knee procedure and he was hurt for 2 years.
    bbs is the reason why the word asinine is in my vocabulary.

Not even kidding lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Look at his last two years with Dodgers.

I mean he was the runner up to deGrom when he won the CY in 2019.
    Good point. For the sub 2 ERA year, was he hurt to begin or end the season?

Matz will be fine since he will keep facing the Yankees lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Fun Fact: the RBI stat was not an official stat until 1920 so those stat prior to that should be an asterisks on it.

Also, Branch Rickey was not a fan of the RBI in evaluating a player. I can't find the quote online, and I can't remember which book I read it in.

I am correct about Ramos, I watched him for the better part of the last two years. He sucked. His dWAR says he sucks. As the saying goes, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

You should read my previous post.
    As to Ramos, I posted his offensive numbers and in response you posted ," How is he doing behind the dish, not very well " This implies that you have watched all or most of the Detroit Tiger games this year. You obviously based your statement on what you saw the last 2 years. I agree that he was not a stellar defensive catcher for the Mets but I would not make an affirmative statement about this year unless I actually saw him play.

While I am certainly not comparing him to Mike Schmidt, I would be committed if I did, but Schmidt was not a very good defensive 3B initially and for awhile, but he worked his butt off and became one of the best, not a Brooks Robinson, or Nolan Aranado or Graig Nettles but one of the best ever .

As To RBIs, as I previously posted , you then disregard Hank Aaron's all time RBI numbers . What statistic then wows you over and above RBIs ?

Would you rather have player A who hits 310 every year, Player B who hits 40 HRS every year or Player C who drives in over 100 runs every year ?
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 04-19-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    As to Ramos, I posted his offensive numbers and in response you posted ," How is he doing behind the dish, not very well " This implies that you have watched all or most of the Detroit Tiger games this year. You obviously based your statement on what you saw the last 2 years. I agree that he was not a stellar defensive catcher for the Mets but I would not make an affirmative statement about this year unless I actually saw him play.

While I am certainly not comparing him to Mike Schmidt, I would be committed if I did, but Schmidt was not a very good defensive 3B initially and for awhile, but he worked his butt off and became one of the best, not a Brooks Robinson, or Nolan Aranado or Graig Nettles but one of the best ever .

As To RBIs, as I previously posted , you then disregard Hank Aaron's all time RBI numbers . What statistic then wows you over and above RBIs ?

Would you rather have player A who hits 310 every year, Player B who hits 40 HRS every year or Player C who drives in over 100 runs every year ?
    I guess you chose not to read the links I provided.
    Read them, it will make you look at traditional stats with a leery eye.

Ramos is an awful defensive catcher, plain and simple.
    Runners were successful 82% last year and 83% over the last 3 years. In comparison against McCann runners were successful 68% over the past 3 years and 67% last year.

Last 3 years McCann has 9 (DRS) Defensive Runs Saved
    Ramos had -11 DRS

Who would you rather have?
    Player A: 29 HR & 100 RBIs or
    Player B: 31 HR & 119 RBIs

Who would you rather have.
    Player : BA/OBP/SLG/wOBA/fWAR
    Player C: .268/.323/.457/ wOBA-.331/ fWAR 0.8
    Player D: .315/.441/.550/ wOBA-.418/fWAR 9.7

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I’m very happy for Matz. The rest I’m indifferent about. As for our team, we’re 7-4 and in 1st place. Imo, once this team actually gets to play on a consistent basis we’ll start to see what they really are. I anticipated a team that pitches very well and scores A LOT of runs.

So far I love the moves the Mets made in the off-season. Trying to find differences right now is just trying to find them for the sake of finding them. I still am iffy using stats of any kind from 2020 to judge from.

Matz needed to go. But also...it's not like he wasn't given a chance here. It's been 6 years. Even though he is only 29, we all knew Matz has this type of potential in him, we've seen it. He has shown it here from time to time. His issue has always been from game to game. Let's get into the Summer months when ALL hitters heat up and see if he still holds a low ERA. Especially in the AL. June and September have always been his best months. July and August have been his worst. Plus BTW, I have always loved Ryu, but he is still not without his failings as well. Mainly staying on the field.

I can't get on the current regime for Lowrie. We blamed the Wilpons at the time...I still see no difference there, especially with such a limited sample size while he was here in NY.

As for catcher, the choice was really Realmuto VS McCann. Ramos was an after thought. That being said, McCann didn't come here for his offense. Which he will still be serviceable with. I just wanted a stable force behind the plate.

The players the Mets let go or leave on their own shouldn't concern us. Last I checked the Mets were not doing so well while they were here. Sometimes a shake up is needed for both parties.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 04-19-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsmets View Post
    As Larry said above, it's VERY early.

Remember John Buck? Let's press the brakes on Ramos. Additionally, McCann has been LIGHT YEARS better than Wilson defensively and not a black hole on offense. Ramos is going to regress.

Matz may have just needed to get out of NYC he always had the ability but his head was up his ***.

Lindor will be Lindor, Gimenez was highly regarded and still not as good overall as Lindor when all is said and done.

The trade and moves are still too early to grade.
    Geez, look who the Pandemic dragged out!

Thing with RBIs is good hitters hit whether there are runners on base or runners not on base. RBIs are a measure of happenstance, not ability.

Ok, back to my own little cocoon.

Good to see you, bbs.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

The RBI has weaknesses as a stat but should not be ignored. It shows that a hitter is getting it done, adding value to his team, and cashing in on opportunities. RISP only shows that a hitter is not making out, not that he is getting hitters across the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    The RBI has weaknesses as a stat but should not be ignored. It shows that a hitter is getting it done, adding value to his team, and cashing in on opportunities. RISP only shows that a hitter is not making out, not that he is getting hitters across the plate.
    RBI is not an individual stat.
    There are far greater tools in describing a hitter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast