Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It Is Way Too Early BUT

Steve Matz is 3-0 and pitching to a 1.47 ERA. Carlos Carassco has yet to pitch 1 inning for the Mets.
    Did Pete Walker see something in Matz that Jeremy Heffner was unable to see ?

Jed Lowrie is hitting 360 with 12 RBIs- Jeff McNeil is 1.67 with 3 RBIs

Andres Gimenez has 2 HRs and 4 RBIs - Francisco Lindor has no HRs and 2 RBIs - So much for Spring Training

Wilson Ramos has 6 HRs and 8 RBIs - James McCann has 1 HR and 3 RBIs

I understand that the Mets have only played 10 games and most teams have played 14 or 15 and as I said it is way too early .

My only real negativity involves Steve Matz. Did Alderson pull the trigger on him too early and really got not much in return ?
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 04-18-2021 at 04:17 AM.

I don’t think we needed to trade Matz, he was awful last year, but so were many others.
    He’s a quality bottom of the rotation starter and wasn’t expensive

I do think a change of scenery has helped his mental game, but that 1.47 ERA won’t last long

As Larry said above, it's VERY early.

Remember John Buck? Let's press the brakes on Ramos. Additionally, McCann has been LIGHT YEARS better than Wilson defensively and not a black hole on offense. Ramos is going to regress.

Matz may have just needed to get out of NYC he always had the ability but his head was up his ***.

Lindor will be Lindor, Gimenez was highly regarded and still not as good overall as Lindor when all is said and done.

The trade and moves are still too early to grade.
    I can be boring and vanilla, too! Controversy = BAD...

Oh my goodness it is such a travesty that we are in first place with those changes when we never sniffed 1st place last year, excluding opening day.

The Mets have had no real leader on the field since DW retired. Conforto is not a leader. Needed a clubhouse culture change.

Love the aggressive game McCann calls its like LoDuca called. Ramos called a horrible game.

Matz didn't have the mental aspect to handle NY and will thrive in the regular season for the Jays.

Lowrie got Wilpon'd.

Actually, Lowrie Wilpon'd the Wilpons...
    I can be boring and vanilla, too! Controversy = BAD...

The Jays with ryu and now matz. What do they do with these guys?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Steve Matz is 3-0 and pitching to a 1.47 ERA. Carlos Carassco has yet to pitch 1 inning for the Mets.
    Did Pete Walker see something in Matz that Jeremy Heffner was unable to see ?

Jed Lowrie is hitting 360 with 12 RBIs- Jeff McNeil is 1.67 with 3 RBIs

Andres Gimenez has 2 HRs and 4 RBIs - Francisco Lindor has no HRs and 2 RBIs - So much for Spring Training

Wilson Ramos has 6 HRs and 8 RBIs - James McCann has 1 HR and 3 RBIs

I understand that the Mets have only played 10 games and most teams have played 14 or 15 and as I said it is way too early .

My only real negativity involves Steve Matz. Did Alderson pull the trigger on him too early and really got not much in return ?
    Matz
    2019 -1.65/3.40/3.51
    2021-1.47/3.05/3.57
    We have seen this before, Matz lacks consistency.

Are you suggesting the Mets should have kept Lowrie instead of McNeil?
    Come on.

Ramos .234/.294/.638/ wOBA.392 Ramos value is strictly based on his power.
    Also, please do not use RBIs as an individual stat, it is a team stat.
    How is Ramos doing behind the dish? I'll give you a hint, not good.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Matz
    2019 -1.65/3.40/3.51
    2021-1.47/3.05/3.57

Come on.

Of course I am not suggesting that we should have kept Lowrie over McNeil.

I guess I will now disregard Hank Aaron's all time RBI leader with 2,297 or the Babe's 2,214 as they were team stats . I will now also erase Alonso's 120 RBIs in 2019 .

You could be correct about Ramos, I have no idea . Are you a Tiger fan ? Did you watch all 15 Tiger games ?
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 04-18-2021 at 10:26 AM.

I think a lot of the players on the Mets that left were going to succeed this year. Not because of some curse related to players leaving the Mets but because of the team’s archaic structure and unwillingness to maximize data and analytics prior to the Wilpon’s. I’m sure the Mets are investing in more technology that’s going to subsequently help the pitchers and defense succeed. I feel like we’re already seeing that on the defensive side, especially with somebody like Nimmo.

I think Wheeler would’ve really taken another leap if he had stayed here, I thought Matz had some potential this year. Still not too upset with the deal, Khalil Lee I think is going to be a good player.

I’m not gonna really blame Hefner because it’s a case of a good teacher in a bad school. Can’t really teach your kids if you’re using a 30 year old textbook, for instance.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Let's see what happens with Matz long-term, but I'm really stoked for him. It's not a knock on us, plenty of players just need a new uniform, a new city, new voices to coach them up.

But Wheeler we've known since Day One he could be this guy. We knew it when we trade Beltran for him. He would be doing that this year for us, but we were cheap, as usual.

Is Hefner really that good of a coach?

It is shades of Nolan Ryan. He had plenty of talent but was never going to make it big as a Met. He had to go elsewhere to make it big and probably will. I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Matz
    2019 -1.65/3.40/3.51
    2021-1.47/3.05/3.57

Come on.

RBI is NOT a team stat. Obviously it helps to have runners on base ahead of you, but when the same guys tend to drive in a lot of runs regardless of who bats ahead of them, it's proof that it's not just a team stat. Some guys are clutch, some are not. RBI's matter. It's literally how games are won. Same for ERA. It's not all that matters, but it matters. Scoring runs and preventing runs, however you do it, is how you win games. More or less it's the same players with good standard stats year in and year out. It matters, as does the advanced stats.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    The Jays with ryu and now matz. What do they do with these guys?

FYI was very good for the Dodgers so ummm

RBIs are an opportunity stat: more people on base, more opportunities to get an RBI.

RBI is a statistic and measures the number of runners who score due to your hit, walk, sacrifice, or fielder’s choice. Generally speaking, a 100 RBI season is considered worthy of admiration and the notion of “driving in runs” or being and “RBI guy” is highly valued.

There are essentially two ways to approach the problem with RBI as a statistic. First, there is very little evidence that timely hitting or clutch hitting is a skill separate from regular hitting. Second, even if those are real skills, RBI is a very crude way to measure that skill and you should use something else.

https://library.fangraphs.com/stats-...batted-in-rbi/

To reaffirm this, stat guys realized that the RBI does a poor job measuring players’ individual hitting abilities, and is far more a product of the players’ environment. Thus, assigning RBI statistics to individual players is unfair to players who are in poor run-creating environments.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...f1i8dfycywwkva

In Michael Lewis' "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game," the author called the historical obsession with RBI a “good example of … general madness.”

You two should read those two articles, I would also recommend reading the book MoneyBall and Smart Baseball. Moneyball is a good read, Smart Baseball is a derivative piece of crap but it does talk to baseball fans that don't understand advanced stats.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast