Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: 2022 comp picks

2022 comp picks

Looks like we get
    4th for linsley
    6th for Williams
    Nothing for Boyle? He signed a 2.5 mill contract, was he not a free agent?
    Can someone please help me out

Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    Looks like we get
    4th for linsley
    6th for Williams
    Nothing for Boyle? He signed a 2.5 mill contract, was he not a free agent?
    Can someone please help me out
    Nothing would be official only some projections. Like last year most would have projected Bulaga to net a 4th but ended up playing worse than some would have expected. But we ended only getting a 4th for Martinez, a 5th for Bulaga, and a 6th for Fackrell this season.

For example, the league would calculate a player like Linsley finishes in the top 5% of NFL players they get a 3rd, if he is in the top 6%-10% range a 4th, top 11%-15% a 5th, top 16%-25% a 6th, top 26%-35% a 7th. The 2022 comp pick won't be official until the league year 2022 begins.

Chances are we likely get a 6th or a 7th for Jamaal, we likely will get a 4th or 5th for Linsley. As for Boyle likely will not play any significant football and won't net the Packers any picks. Now if Boyle ends up starting in Detroit or Goff gets injured that might change. However, if we add UFA's who were not released by their club then we may not get comp picks at all.

I'm not sure Boyle matters either way. Didn't we choose to not tender him a contract? I dont think he has was a true Ufa, so I don't think he counts.

Thanks guys, starting to wrap my head around the comp pick thing.

Basically the long and short of it is you get comp picks for losing unrestricted free agents. Restricted FAs and guys you cut/waive don't count. Comp picks are largely based upon the contract the player signs. Like IRNMN alluded to, play does help tip the scales, but if a guy signs a tiny deal and is a stud, it won't make him a super early comp pick because his contract was small. Likewise if a guy signs a massive deal and gets hurt, the comp pick will still be fairly high, but performance can be the difference between getting one of the last 4th rounder and one of the first 5th rounders or something.

But if you sign an UFAs, then it can offset any you lose. The offset tends to offset the nearest guy. For example, Richard Sherman would qualify for a comp pick. So if we sign Sherman, it's likely he would offset Linsley, unless he comes super cheap. If we signed a fairly cheap Ufa, then it may offset Jamaal. Also, guys that sign for the vet min usually don't count towards the formula, which I believe is to avoid killing the market for those guys. On the flip side, someone like Casey Hayward was released, so he doesn't impact the comp pick formula no matter what kind of deal he signs.