Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 293
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515

    Thoughts after the mass shooting

    Apparently the mother of the young man who killed eight people at FedEx had notified police of his intention to commit suicide by police in March of 2020. He was taken into custody for mental evaluation and a shotgun removed from his possession.

    Why is an individual like this able to purchase a military grade rifle and use it to kill innocent people about 24 hours later? How do gun rights nuts defend the lack of a system to keep people like this from making the purchase?

    Four Sikh people were killed in the attack but it appears to be random. They were probably preparing to have lunch together. Well a meal, anyway. Two young girls were killed along with a couple of men my age, so there is no initial evidence that this was racially motivated at this point.

    American has 5% of the world's population but accounts for 30% of mass shootings. Anyone see a problem with that math? One might guess it is the availability of weapons.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    12,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    Apparently the mother of the young man who killed eight people at FedEx had notified police of his intention to commit suicide by police in March of 2020. He was taken into custody for mental evaluation and a shotgun removed from his possession.

    Why is an individual like this able to purchase a military grade rifle and use it to kill innocent people about 24 hours later? How do gun rights nuts defend the lack of a system to keep people like this from making the purchase?

    Four Sikh people were killed in the attack but it appears to be random. They were probably preparing to have lunch together. Well a meal, anyway. Two young girls were killed along with a couple of men my age, so there is no initial evidence that this was racially motivated at this point.

    American has 5% of the world's population but accounts for 30% of mass shootings. Anyone see a problem with that math? One might guess it is the availability of weapons.
    And the gun nuts on here will tell you that it's a people problem, not a gun problem. If that's the case then the US has major problem with mental instability


    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    And the gun nuts on here will tell you that it's a people problem, not a gun problem. If that's the case then the US has major problem with mental instability


    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I did make a couple of comments on my local Senator's Facebook page. As you would expect, there was some pretty vehement pushback. Interestingly enough, I mostly see women proclaiming God and Country (oh and guns) on their pages. It is a bit disturbing how many polarized pseudo Christians you see out there. Totally indoctrinated and unwilling to consider any points of view other than the ones they have been taught. Can these people be reached? I fear the answer is no.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    100,618
    My thinking is that this country knows better but just doesn’t care. We are perfectly fine with people dying all over the place. It’s why I’m glad I live in a pretty isolated area so some of the lowest odds are that I will be directly affected. It’s really all you can do is try and not go to areas where there are more people. More people means more targets for people we won’t take guns from.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    And the gun nuts on here will tell you that it's a people problem, not a gun problem. If that's the case then the US has major problem with mental instability
    At the risk of sounding like I am defending the so-called gun nuts — I am not — it very much IS a people problem...AND a gun problem.

    The real problem is that too often folks push the “people problem” assertion only as an method for them to deflect away from the “gun problem.” They have zero intention to pursue solutions to either problem.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    100,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    At the risk of sounding like I am defending the so-called gun nuts — I am not — it very much IS a people problem...AND a gun problem.

    The real problem is that too often folks push the “people problem” assertion only as an method for them to deflect away from the “gun problem.” They have zero intention to pursue solutions to either problem.
    The people who push it being a people problem only (not saying you) have had several thousand mass shootings over the last number of years to come out and tell us what they're going to do about the human problem and never once have they done so. What is the NRA's bill (I know they're busy with that whole being a bankrupt and corrupt organization thing) to deal with mental health issues in this country?
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5,136
    The fact that I had to click on the thread to find out which one you were talking about says it all.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

    -JFK


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    100,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    The fact that I had to click on the thread to find out which one you were talking about says it all.
    Well it's too soon to talk about any that happened in the last three days. But any that happened more than a week ago are old news and not even worth talking about. So at a bare minimum, your range is 4-7 days.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The people who push it being a people problem only (not saying you) have had several thousand mass shootings over the last number of years to come out and tell us what they're going to do about the human problem and never once have they done so. What is the NRA's bill (I know they're busy with that whole being a bankrupt and corrupt organization thing) to deal with mental health issues in this country?
    I think this is what I said...in different words.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    100,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I think this is what I said...in different words.
    Which is why I went out of my way to specify I wasn't saying you.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    The fact that I had to click on the thread to find out which one you were talking about says it all.
    Well, your post is a bit more concise than I was, but it pretty much sums it up.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    At the risk of sounding like I am defending the so-called gun nuts — I am not — it very much IS a people problem...AND a gun problem.

    The real problem is that too often folks push the “people problem” assertion only as an method for them to deflect away from the “gun problem.” They have zero intention to pursue solutions to either problem.
    I have a son who is Bipolar. Still lives with us because he cannot strike out on his own. I can tell you with complete confidence that the mental health care and the funds spent on it are shiet.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    42,332
    The obvious answer is more guns. Then a gun carrying bystander can come in and shoot the person who is about to commit multiple homicides.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515
    Personally, I don't want to go up against a guy with a military grade rifle that can easily point and shoot me from 50 yards or more with a handgun.

    Seriously though, how many "good guy with a gun" stories have you seen in the news?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,024
    The solution to gun violence is pretty much the solution to all of our problems.

    More money to the bottom of of the population, more money to education, more money to infrastructure, and regulations that keep the rich and powerful in check.

    The problem is that none of that happens as long as money is not out of politics, and very few lawmakers want to solve that issue.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •