Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thoughts after the mass shooting

Apparently the mother of the young man who killed eight people at FedEx had notified police of his intention to commit suicide by police in March of 2020. He was taken into custody for mental evaluation and a shotgun removed from his possession.

Why is an individual like this able to purchase a military grade rifle and use it to kill innocent people about 24 hours later? How do gun rights nuts defend the lack of a system to keep people like this from making the purchase?

Four Sikh people were killed in the attack but it appears to be random. They were probably preparing to have lunch together. Well a meal, anyway. Two young girls were killed along with a couple of men my age, so there is no initial evidence that this was racially motivated at this point.

American has 5% of the world's population but accounts for 30% of mass shootings. Anyone see a problem with that math? One might guess it is the availability of weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    Apparently the mother of the young man who killed eight people at FedEx had notified police of his intention to commit suicide by police in March of 2020. He was taken into custody for mental evaluation and a shotgun removed from his possession.

Why is an individual like this able to purchase a military grade rifle and use it to kill innocent people about 24 hours later? How do gun rights nuts defend the lack of a system to keep people like this from making the purchase?

Four Sikh people were killed in the attack but it appears to be random. They were probably preparing to have lunch together. Well a meal, anyway. Two young girls were killed along with a couple of men my age, so there is no initial evidence that this was racially motivated at this point.

American has 5% of the world's population but accounts for 30% of mass shootings. Anyone see a problem with that math? One might guess it is the availability of weapons.
    And the gun nuts on here will tell you that it's a people problem, not a gun problem. If that's the case then the US has major problem with mental instability

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    And the gun nuts on here will tell you that it's a people problem, not a gun problem. If that's the case then the US has major problem with mental instability

I did make a couple of comments on my local Senator's Facebook page. As you would expect, there was some pretty vehement pushback. Interestingly enough, I mostly see women proclaiming God and Country (oh and guns) on their pages. It is a bit disturbing how many polarized pseudo Christians you see out there. Totally indoctrinated and unwilling to consider any points of view other than the ones they have been taught. Can these people be reached? I fear the answer is no.

At the risk of sounding like I am defending the so-called gun nuts — I am not — it very much IS a people problem...AND a gun problem.

The real problem is that too often folks push the “people problem” assertion only as an method for them to deflect away from the “gun problem.” They have zero intention to pursue solutions to either problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    At the risk of sounding like I am defending the so-called gun nuts — I am not — it very much IS a people problem...AND a gun problem.

The real problem is that too often folks push the “people problem” assertion only as an method for them to deflect away from the “gun problem.” They have zero intention to pursue solutions to either problem.
    The people who push it being a people problem only (not saying you) have had several thousand mass shootings over the last number of years to come out and tell us what they're going to do about the human problem and never once have they done so. What is the NRA's bill (I know they're busy with that whole being a bankrupt and corrupt organization thing) to deal with mental health issues in this country?
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The people who push it being a people problem only (not saying you) have had several thousand mass shootings over the last number of years to come out and tell us what they're going to do about the human problem and never once have they done so. What is the NRA's bill (I know they're busy with that whole being a bankrupt and corrupt organization thing) to deal with mental health issues in this country?
    I think this is what I said...in different words.

I think this is what I said...in different words.
    Which is why I went out of my way to specify I wasn't saying you.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

I have a son who is Bipolar. Still lives with us because he cannot strike out on his own. I can tell you with complete confidence that the mental health care and the funds spent on it are shiet.

I fully understand it's a people problem as well as a gun problem. My point is that there are mentally unstable people everywhere. The majority of the civilized world has some form of gun control and there's very little mass shootings, whereas the US operates like the wild west and there's mass shootings on a daily basis. Access to guns is a major problem but common sense gun control works unless the argument is the states is chalk full of mentality unstable people.

I'm.not really sure if I'm being clear in my argument and if so, I'll blame the unintended hangover I'm suffering from

I fully understand it's a people problem as well as a gun problem. My point is that there are mentally unstable people everywhere. The majority of the civilized world has some form of gun control and there's very little mass shootings, whereas the US operates like the wild west and there's mass shootings on a daily basis. Access to guns is a major problem but common sense gun control works unless the argument is the states is chalk full of mentality unstable people.

I'm.not really sure if I'm being clear in my argument and if so, I'll blame the unintended hangover I'm suffering from

And how do you limit the access of guns when there’s so many guns on the streets currently? Do you think gang members or criminals will give up their weapons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    And how do you limit the access of guns when there’s so many guns on the streets currently? Do you think gang members or criminals will give up their weapons?

One of my favourite responses to the problem. Might as well just come out and say it. We're cool with innocent people dying, as long as I get to keep my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post

Buy them back, you won't get them all. Make it a ridiculous amount if you need to. America has to start doing something. These are preventable deaths.

Consider that Switzerland has a gun ownership rate of around 25% (second highest in the world) and they don't have anywhere near as many mass shootings per capita.

Russia has virtually ZERO personal gun ownership, yet their homicide rate is double the US, with half our population.

Guns aren't the problem.
    Also, what is morally worse about someone murdering a person with a gun as opposed to a knife, or a car, or a baseball bat etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Consider that Switzerland has a gun ownership rate of around 25% (second highest in the world) and they don't have anywhere near as many mass shootings per capita.

Russia has virtually ZERO personal gun ownership, yet their homicide rate is double the US, with half our population.

Guns aren't the problem.
    Also, what is morally worse about someone murdering a person with a gun as opposed to a knife, or a car, or a baseball bat etc.
    Switzerland has mandatory military service which both provides responsible firearm training and explains why so many people have a gun. They also have a ton of more regulations on guns sales and ownership (a registry, licensing, attempts to prevent people with a violent past, drug, alcohol, or mental health problem from getting licenses, and many have to to take a test on how use a firearm).

Sadly they don’t have any of these things for bats and knives so the number of murders per capita is roughly the same

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Switzerland has mandatory military service which both provides responsible firearm training and explains why so many people have a gun. They also have a ton of more regulations on guns sales and ownership (a registry, licensing, attempts to prevent people with a violent past, drug, alcohol, or mental health problem from getting licenses, and many have to to take a test on how use a firearm).

Sadly they don’t have any of these things for bats and knives so the number of murders per capita is roughly the same

Actually, when you leave the military you're allowed to buy the gun that was issued to you directly from the govt. Unlike all the activists here who talk about "there is no need for people to own a military-grade weapon" (despite the fact that YOU CAN'T in the USA, and things like the AR-15 ARE NOT military weapons) in Switzerland, they DO sell military weapons to their citizens.
    When your in the military and off duty you take your military-grade weapon home with you.

First of all, Russia doesn't have the same homicide rate, they have TWICE the homicide rate. Secondly, what do you mean it's SAD they don't have the same regulations around knives and bats (I don't think they have many baseball bats in Russia, to begin with) but how would you even go about regulating those things.

Hell, people in prisons MAKE knives out of **** lying around, look at photos of confiscated Shivs. There is no way you could regulate ownership of all blunt and sharp objects.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast