Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: God and Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    You made a stupid argument and got an appropriate answer back. Valade asked a legitimate question and I attempted to give a legitimate answer, but I don't have the same respect for you and I'm not going to entertain your nonsense.

You're confusing didn't answer with can't answer, as per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post

You're confusing didn't answer with can't answer, as per usual.
    I like some of the people on PSD, but Iím not here to engage in conversation with everyone on everything in every thread. You seem to be the professional forum user. Always here, always quick with a reply. Judging by your views and tone in most posts, you strike me as being fairly young. My advice to you is to go outside and live and stop spending so much of your time on an Internet forum arguing with people youíll never meet. The less time Iím here, the more I like this place. And the less time I have for conversations I donít care to be a part of because they serve no propose other than to feed those who just get off on arguing about literally everything. So, if I donít respond to a message of yours, it isnít necessarily personal and it certainly isnít that I canít respond, I just donít want to because I donít care to waste my life in constant debate here.

I like some of the people on PSD, but Iím not here to engage in conversation with everyone on everything in every thread. You seem to be the professional forum user. Always here, always quick with a reply. Judging by your views and tone in most posts, you strike me as being fairly young. My advice to you is to go outside and live and stop spending so much of your time on an Internet forum arguing with people youíll never meet. The less time Iím here, the more I like this place. And the less time I have for conversations I donít care to be a part of because they serve no propose other than to feed those who just get off on arguing about literally everything. So, if I donít respond to a message of yours, it isnít necessarily personal and it certainly isnít that I canít respond, I just donít want to because I donít care to waste my life in constant debate here.
    I wasn't here for years.

I only wish I was "fairly young."

You are as good at this as you are at making a rational, coherent argument.

I wasn't here for years.

I only wish I was "fairly young."

You are as good at this as you are at making a rational, coherent argument.
    I wonít waste my time with anything that doesnít make me happy or serve my life in a fulfilling way and that means Iím not going to spend my time here arguing with people I donít respect. I donít have that much free time and I wouldnít waste it on this place in pointless debates.

I wonít waste my time with anything that doesnít make me happy or serve my life in a fulfilling way and that means Iím not going to spend my time here arguing with people I donít respect. I donít have that much free time and I wouldnít waste it on this place in pointless debates.
    You can imagine how devastated I am.

He'd preach the exact same things he preached in the Bible. The word never changes.

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God's law will disappear until its purpose is finished." - Matthew 5:18 (NLT)

"Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear." - Matthew 24:35 (NLV)
    At the risk of being overly pedantic ó which is actually appropriate sometimes ó these are most certainly not the words of Jesus and, add to it, they have changed over time. These are but a rough (and probably imperfect) translation of a translation of what some writer named Matthew recorded on paper many years after the manís death.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    At the risk of being overly pedantic ó which is actually appropriate sometimes ó these are most certainly not the words of Jesus and, add to it, they have changed over time. These are but a rough (and probably imperfect) translation of a translation of what some writer named Matthew recorded on paper many years after the manís death.
    Language has changed, of course. We don't even talk the same that Americans did a couple of hundred years ago. But, to believe the Bible to be the word of God, which I do, is to believe that he is capable of getting his word as he wanted it to all of the people on earth. If he couldn't, we couldn't very well call him God. Whether it's the NLT or the KJV, the message is the same and I believe it to be 100% the word of God.
    Chicago Cubs ē Chicago Blackhawks ē Buffalo Bills ē Southern Illinois University Salukis

Maria Sakkari ē Angelique Kerber ē Bianca Andreescu

That begs the question of how you explain the contradictions in the Bible.

"`Can you explain this gap in your resume?`

`Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemicĒ" - @LOLGOP

That begs the question of how you explain the contradictions in the Bible.
    There are none.

Chicago Cubs ē Chicago Blackhawks ē Buffalo Bills ē Southern Illinois University Salukis

There are none.

That's demonstrably not true.

When the women found the tomb empty, did they tell people? Matthew 28 and Luke 24 say yes; Mark 16 says they told no one.

Who was Joseph's father? Matthew 1 tells us it's Jacob; Luke 3 says it's Heli.

All this is because Jesus needed to be a descendant of David, but there's the obvious problem here: Joseph isn't Jesus' father. His genealogy is irrelevant and it still is contradictory.

When was Jesus crucified? Matthew 26 (as well as Mark and Luke) has Jesus at the Passover meal, then being crucified; John 19 has the Passover occurring after the crucifixion.

The whole creation story in Genesis is a mess. Genesis 1 and 2 contradict each other repeatedly.

In Genesis 1, trees were created before man.
    In Genesis 2, man was created before trees.

In Genesis 1, animals were created before man.
    In Genesis 2, man was created before animals.

In Genesis 1, man and woman were created at the same time.
    In Genesis 2, man was created first and woman was created later.

Genesis 2 also tells us that if you eat the forbidden fruit you'll die that day.
    Genesis 5 tells us Adam lived for 930 years.

Genesis 6 tells us that the "days of man's life" will be 120 years.
    In Genesis 9, Noah lives to be 950.

Genesis 6 tells us there were giants before the flood.
    Genesis 7 tells us all creatures except Noah and those on the Ark were killed in the flood.
    Numbers 13 suddenly has giants again, obviously after the flood.

Galatians 4 tells us Abraham had two sons, Isaac and Ishmael; Hebrews 11 tells us he only had one son, Isaac.

Genesis 50 says Jacob was buried in a cave in Canaan at Machpelah bought from Ephron the Hittite; Acts 7 tells us he was buried in the sepulchre at Shechem bought from the sons of Hamor.

I could do this all day. The book is riddled with contradictions, in both the Old and New Testament.

Iím sure God ó with all the demands of putting together a whole universe in six days ó didnít have the time or energy to go over the draft with a fine-toothed comb in order to sort out all the inconsistencies, much less the contradictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Iím sure God ó with all the demands of putting together a whole universe in six days ó didnít have the time or energy to go over the draft with a fine-toothed comb in order to sort out all the inconsistencies, much less the contradictions.
    Yeah. Never dawned on the Schmendrick to hire a freaking Copy Editor. Instead He had to to everything Himself.

Oy.

That's demonstrably not true.

When the women found the tomb empty, did they tell people? Matthew 28 and Luke 24 say yes; Mark 16 says they told no one.

Who was Joseph's father? Matthew 1 tells us it's Jacob; Luke 3 says it's Heli.

All this is because Jesus needed to be a descendant of David, but there's the obvious problem here: Joseph isn't Jesus' father. His genealogy is irrelevant and it still is contradictory.

When was Jesus crucified? Matthew 26 (as well as Mark and Luke) has Jesus at the Passover meal, then being crucified; John 19 has the Passover occurring after the crucifixion.

The whole creation story in Genesis is a mess. Genesis 1 and 2 contradict each other repeatedly.

In Genesis 1, trees were created before man.
    In Genesis 2, man was created before trees.

In Genesis 1, animals were created before man.
    In Genesis 2, man was created before animals.

In Genesis 1, man and woman were created at the same time.
    In Genesis 2, man was created first and woman was created later.

Genesis 2 also tells us that if you eat the forbidden fruit you'll die that day.
    Genesis 5 tells us Adam lived for 930 years.

Genesis 6 tells us that the "days of man's life" will be 120 years.
    In Genesis 9, Noah lives to be 950.

Genesis 6 tells us there were giants before the flood.
    Genesis 7 tells us all creatures except Noah and those on the Ark were killed in the flood.
    Numbers 13 suddenly has giants again, obviously after the flood.

Galatians 4 tells us Abraham had two sons, Isaac and Ishmael; Hebrews 11 tells us he only had one son, Isaac.

Genesis 50 says Jacob was buried in a cave in Canaan at Machpelah bought from Ephron the Hittite; Acts 7 tells us he was buried in the sepulchre at Shechem bought from the sons of Hamor.

I could do this all day. The book is riddled with contradictions, in both the Old and New Testament.
    Imagine my surprise that the very first thing you would list would be the creation events of Genesis 1 and 2. This is a common one that people attempting to discredit the Bible will often point to first and it has been explained, debunked, whatever word you want to use, time after time. This is baby town frolics to anyone who has actually spent time studying the book. It's actually funny to me when people go for this one first because it just reveals how little you understand about the subject you're debating. You read an article once that told you that Genesis 1 and 2 contradict each other and you ran with it. That's all the proof you needed, right? lol

Genesis 1 is God's description of the sequence of creation. Genesis 2 only covers one day, the sixth, during that 6 days of creation (one day of rest) and identifies man as the culmination of that creation.

The Hebrew words for vegetation (trees, plants, etc.) used in Genesis 1 and 2 are different. The second referring to agricultural vegetation. No farmable vegetation grew until after the creation of man.

The Bible isn't for the simple minded as so many like to suggest it is. It requires study and not simply just reading it. There are pastors who spend months, even years, just breaking down and teaching one book in the Bible to his congregation. If your understanding of the Bible is as simple as reading a few pages and an Internet article telling you what you want to hear, it's too much for you to understand and it's probably wise to put it away and do something else with your time.

I, too, could do this all day. The Bible, once you dive into it and study it, is air-tight. Your simplistic view of it and lack of understanding what you're reading is the only issue. Good try though, mate.

Imagine my surprise that the very first thing you would list would be the creation events of Genesis 1 and 2. This is a common one that people attempting to discredit the Bible will often point to first and it has been explained, debunked, whatever word you want to use, time after time. This is baby town frolics to anyone who has actually spent time studying the book. It's actually funny to me when people go for this one first because it just reveals how little you understand about the subject you're debating. You read an article once that told you that Genesis 1 and 2 contradict each other and you ran with it. That's all the proof you needed, right? lol

Genesis 1 is God's description of the sequence of creation. Genesis 2 only covers one day, the sixth, during that 6 days of creation (one day of rest) and identifies man as the culmination of that creation.

The Hebrew words for vegetation (trees, plants, etc.) used in Genesis 1 and 2 are different. The second referring to agricultural vegetation. No farmable vegetation grew until after the creation of man.

The Bible isn't for the simple minded as so many like to suggest it is. It requires study and not simply just reading it. There are pastors who spend months, even years, just breaking down and teaching one book in the Bible to his congregation. If your understanding of the Bible is as simple as reading a few pages and an Internet article telling you what you want to hear, it's too much for you to understand and it's probably wise to put it away and do something else with your time.

I, too, could do this all day. The Bible, once you dive into it and study it, is air-tight. Your simplistic view of it and lack of understanding what you're reading is the only issue. Good try though, mate.
    This literally only addresses the plants. When it says animals, does it mean domesticated? I donít know why it would ever say men and women created at the same time in light of the rib fable.

I agree there are people who spend years studying the Bible and all itís intricacies, many of them would be the first to tell you it contains inconsistencies.

My "understanding of the Bible" comes from both the religious school I attended for seven years and the multiple churches I went to until my mid-20's or so, as well as plenty of reading in the time since then. It's why I know that part of the reason they contradict is that they were likely written by different people, given their different literary styles, and probably with a significant amount of time between them.

But contradictions like this, and the accompanying inaccurate, shouldn't be surprising with a book constructed like the Bible was. It's why there has to be whole fields of study dedicated to trying to explain them.

"`Can you explain this gap in your resume?`

`Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemicĒ" - @LOLGOP

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast