Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: 2021 Season

2021 Season

The Brewers sit 7-5. Post thoughts and ideas for the season.

I don't get Counsil pulling starters after 70 or 80 pitches when they have given up 1 or 2 hits in 6 innings. Surely they could go 90 and he would still be showing caution, I get now a days that some of these decisions come from the front office but we could easily be 9-3 if we let Woody and Burnes go another inning or more into Hader.

The offense is coming around, Yeli should be back soon but we really need a leadoff hitter to get going. Shaw and Narvaez have been sensational, Urias is starting to show the top prospect potential. I am surprised by Huira's slow start, he looked good in spring but can't hit anything up.

The pen has been shaky, however it usually does until guys settle into roles. If Devin Williams can knock the rust off it looks like Feyereisen and Boxberger will be solid 7th inning guys and Hader is better than ever.

What can you say about the rotation, Woody, Burnes, and Peralta look like a dream 1,2,3 in the playoffs and Houser has been great.

I am super pumped with this team right know. If we get 2 or 3 bats going like they should this team has a higher ceiling that just about any Brewers team I can remember.

I absolutely agreed with pulling burnes the other day. Long innings on offense, especially if the pitcher gets on, can sap some energy for pitchers. So given we had a big lead, I liked it alot.

That being said, it's a long season. I have no issue pulling starters semi early in the year. Both burnes and Woody made comments about how they did start to get tired late in their first starts. Let's not over extend these guys early in the year. The pen hasn't been perfect but it should be pretty good in general, so taking it semi easy with pitchers makes alot of sense to me.

I'm still concerned about the bats. As a whole, the hitting hasn't been good, but it's been semi timely so scoring hasn't always been awful. But expecting Shaw to stay fully on track is probably a big ask. Narvaez will come back down to earth, but I do expect him to be decent. And our timing luck will diminish. Granted, others have to improve, so it should offset, but we're still probably a bottom half of the NL offense.

One of my biggest issues is with Hiura. I've been all over the map with him. I was excited when we drafted him. As he rose through the minors, I was lower on him than most. I preached that he has more downside risk than most people think due to his high K/low BB profile. Bit then he tore his rookie year up and I assumed I was just wrong. Maybe he was kind of a unicorn. He's not as bad as he's been, but I'm starting to worry he's a league average type bat with no defensive home, which isn't super valuable.

I expect that we will have a trade or two coming in the next month or so. With McKinney and Taylor playing so well Garcia, Cain, or JBJ are prime trade candidates. LoCain to SF makes a lot of sense, JBJ back to Boston or maybe Houston. At the deadline we could pursue a bigger name bat like Trevor Story or Jose Rameriz for a package like Urias, Huira, and a pitching prospect (Small or Ashby) with some save money from an OF deal. We could then go after a 1B like Trey Mancini. I could also see Max Scherzer being a candidate with all the issue Washington has (Strasburg/Corbin), that would be a crazy 1-3 or 4 with our current staff.

Big series with the cubs this week who just swept the Mets. Welp, its 6-0 in the 1st hopefully we can get back in it.

This is such an embarrassing offense. I know we have injuries, but even when healthy, this roster lacks quality batters. Wong is a nice hitter. Idk if he's an elite leadoff guy, but he'd leadoff for alot of teams or bat like 6th. Yeli is a middle of the order bat when healthy. Narvaez is an above average hitting catcher. Everyone else is a below average hitter for their position. In his prime, Cain was a good hitter. Now best case is that he's league average at the player. JBJ has almost never consistently hit above average. Avi has always been streaky. Everyone else just flat out stinks and has pretty much always stunk.

This offense is so rough. This team is good enough to hang in playoff contention most of the year. But I don't think we're good enough to be full fledged buyers either. We are in a really awkward spot as a whole. We won't be bad enough to sell, especially sell a guy like Hader, but we aren't good enough and don't have the farm to be major buyers.

I wonder if we end up in a buy and sell type of mode. Trade an OF for some middling prospects and then either flip those same middling prospects or move our own middling prospects for some help at 1st or 3rd. Trevor story would make a ton of sense for this team, but if we were to do a move for him, it would take some decent named prospects, so we better be ready to make a big offer to get him to stay in FA.

Really frustrating offense to watch. I think at this point urias has cemented himself as the every day 3B with Adames at SS. Shaw started hot but had been awful. Robertson has been evem worse. 1B can be Hiura and Dan V for the time being, but if hiura keeps struggling, I'd send him down again and just leave him there for a month or more.

We need to make a move at 1st or 3rd. Zach Green has been raking at AAA. In sure he's not actually good, but at this point, they need to bring him up and give him a chance. I get he's not on the 40 man, but we have enough fluff on the 40 man with guys like Tim Lopes, Jake Hager, Pablo Reyes and Luke Maile that we can afford to risk one of them bit clearing waivers. And honestly, if we DFA shaw or Robertson and lose them, it's not a big loss. At some point we have to do something to jump-start the offense at the corner IF spots. Like I said, as currently constructed, urias should be the every day 3B but I'm not opposed to finding a new 3B and having him be a super utility type of player as well.

I agree with you crewfan even though this was a month ago lol. Wilson probably deserves a chance to come up and show what he can do. Plenty of bums on 40-man to burn through to give these guys a shot unless going to deal for someone.

The SP and Hader has carried this squad. Boxberger been good too and seems to pitch every damn day lol

What a win today!! Brewers have had some great wins vs. the Cards the last few years. Vogelbach walkoff slam has you feeling like something special might be brewing with this team (pun intended).