Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang

Are they serious? Moving the rubber back a foot and a new DH rule?

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/artic...13237_34630943

I know it's the Atlantic league but the skinny is this,
    When the starting pitcher comes out, the team loses its DH and the pinch hitter must bat for the pitcher or the pitcher hits. This is to "incentivize" teams to use their starters deeper into games.
    But while they do this, they also want to move the rubber back a foot on the mound.

So let me get this straight commissioner, arm injuries are up in pitchers so teams are protecting them by pitching them for fewer pitches, you want them to increase those numbers? Ok. But you feel that making the pitcher throw a greater distance will help with that? Yes, of course you've conducted a study and seen that it has no effect on the stress of throwing. I'm certain you've tracked this over the course of a full season? How about the cumulative effect No? Right, so you are going to effectively use minor leaguers as your guinea pigs and see how their arms do? Fabulous.

He is truly the worst commissioner of any sport, I have ever seen. He is also a giant twat of a human being.
    Last edited by drt1010; 04-15-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Ignorance is bliss

Couldnít this be brought up in the thread about new rules being implemented in the minors ? I donít see the need for practically a second thread on a very similar subject that another thread was already created for . Especially a thread that has expletives in it ...,

But that being said I have to agree with your opinion of manfred, he is the most pathetic baseball commissioner ever .
    Last edited by Posada20; 04-15-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post

When the starting pitcher comes out, the team loses its DH and the pinch hitter must bat for the pitcher or the pitcher hits. This is to "incentivize" teams to use their starters deeper into games.
    But while they do this, they also want to move the rubber back a foot on the mound.

So let me get this straight commissioner, arm injuries are up in pitchers so teams are protecting them by pitching them for fewer pitches, you want them to increase those numbers? Ok. But you feel that making the pitcher throw a greater distance will help with that? Yes, of course you've conducted a study and seen that it has no effect on the stress of throwing. I'm certain you've tracked this over the course of a full season? How about the cumulative effect No? Right, so you are going to effectively use minor leaguers as your guinea pigs and see how their arms do? Fabulous.

He is truly the worst commissioner of any sport, I have ever seen. He is also a giant twat of a human being.
    I am 100% in lock step agreement with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Couldnít this be brought up in the thread about new rules being implemented in the minors ? I donít see the need for practically a second thread on a very similar subject that another thread was already created for . Especially a thread that has expletives in it ...,

But that being said I have to agree with your opinion of manfred, he is the most pathetic baseball commissioner ever .
    Now you are a back seat mod?! Imo it's thread worthy.

I think it's asinine they are even discussing the rule change, 60' 6" is a fundamental tenant of BB. The playing field can vary in dimension, but the base paths and pitchers mound don't. The intent I assume is to slow the ball and increase offense. I agree with clown, what is the risk to the arms?

DH rule, silly imo. What value is there in letting a tired pitcher, getting shelled, go longer?
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Now you are a back seat mod?! Imo it's thread worthy.

I think it's asinine they are even discussing the rule change, 60' 6" is a fundamental tenant of BB. The playing field can vary in dimension, but the base paths and pitchers mound don't. The intent I assume is to slow the ball and increase offense. I agree with clown, what is the risk to the arms?

DH rule, silly imo. What value is there in letting a tired pitcher, getting shelled, go longer?
    I asked an honest question . Arenít I allowed to do that ?

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    I asked an honest question . Arenít I allowed to do that ?
    If you were actually honest, you could ask an honest question but you aren't, so it's viewed as whiney and antagonistic.

The reason for this thread is because it is a different set of rules. It isn't the same ones being discussed in another thread. These are vastly different from those.
    Had you read the article, you would understand that simple fact.

Ignorance is bliss

If you were actually honest, you could ask an honest question but you aren't, so it's viewed as whiney and antagonistic.

The reason for this thread is because it is a different set of rules. It isn't the same ones being discussed in another thread. These are vastly different from those.
    Had you read the article, you would understand that simple fact.
    Actually I did read it and it is about testing some new Rules in the minors , one of them being the distance between the mound and the plate . In case you didnít notice , there is a thread titled ď thoughts on new rules being tested in the minors. ď . That is why I asked that question .

There must be something in the drinking water to be coming up with all these asinine new rules.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Before I guage new rules... I have to understand why they are needed....

Let's look at the increase in the pitching distance. Why?
    I'm going to compare to softball for a moment. just over 10 years ago, the NCAA (and most other rules specs have followed suit) increased the pitching distance in softball from 40 ft to 43 ft. This was done simply because pitching was utterly dominating the game... it was to the point that a game between two top teams often ended in extra inning 1-0 finals.. with after 7 innings, not uncommon for both teams pitchers to be throwing no-hitters or perfect games. Pitching dominated there like it has never done anywhere in either baseball or softball before.
    After the change, hitters now have a much better chance of actually putting the ball in play and getting a hit..not to the point though that it's become like slo-pitch... a hitters game... but a nice balance has been seen....

Now using that as a comparison... is pitching that dominate???? Not just no.. but Hell no!.. yes, pitchers are throwing 100+ way more often (which is really what is causing more injuries than anything else)..but hrs are at an all time high.. yes K's are way up.. but that's more a product of the all or nothing mindset that hitters today walk to the plate with.

So, why make the change.. the only thing I can see is this would make the high velocity throwers less effective by giving the hitters more time to react. That actually could have the effect of helping pitchers... when high velocity is neutralized... you suddenly need to rely on movement primarily and not working on just throwing harder and harder... this might actually help prevent injuries over the long haul...

So my answer on moving the rubber back a foot... I'm interested to see how it results over a full season. Though I think it will need 4-5 full seasons to really see if that has any effect.

Now, the change in DH... Why do it? Sounds like they want to balance between the leagues... Why?... No really WHY? I have always enjoyed the fact that the two different leagues played with different rules. By doing this you: 1. effectively kill the idea of the BP guy being an opener... if that's your goal.. go back to hell where you belong.. 2. what happens on that rare game (and it happens all the time) where a starter can't even get out of the first inning... We've all seen these.. just with the Yanks both for and against... so you lose your DH before you even get to bat?

Lets get real... with the DH rule change.. let's fix the REAL problem... KILL INTERLEAGUE PLAY ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!! So I'm on board with hating this rule change from top to bottom....
    Last edited by evilemplover; 04-19-2021 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    Before I guage new rules... I have to understand why they are needed....

Let's look at the increase in the pitching distance. Why?
    I'm going to compare to softball for a moment. just over 10 years ago, the NCAA (and most other rules specs have followed suit) increased the pitching distance in softball from 40 ft to 43 ft. This was done simply because pitching was utterly dominating the game... it was to the point that a game between two top teams often ended in extra inning 1-0 finals.. with after 7 innings, not uncommon for both teams pitchers to be throwing no-hitters or perfect games. Pitching dominated there like it has never done anywhere in either baseball or softball before.
    After the change, hitters now have a much better chance of actually putting the ball in play and getting a hit..not to the point though that it's become like slo-pitch... a hitters game... but a nice balance has been seen....

Now using that as a comparison... is pitching that dominate???? Not just no.. but Hell no!.. yes, pitchers are throwing 100+ way more often (which is really what is causing more injuries than anything else)..but hrs are at an all time high.. yes K's are way up.. but that's more a product of the all or nothing mindset that hitters today walk to the plate with.

So, why make the change.. the only thing I can see is this would make the high velocity throwers less effective by giving the hitters more time to react. That actually could have the effect of helping pitchers... when high velocity is neutralized... you suddenly need to rely on movement primarily and not working on just throwing harder and harder... this might actually help prevent injuries over the long haul...

So my answer on moving the rubber back a foot... I'm interested to see how it results over a full season. Though I think it will need 4-5 full seasons to really see if that has any effect.

Now, the change in DH... Why do it? Sounds like they want to balance between the leagues... Why?... No really WHY? I have always enjoyed the fact that the two different leagues played with different rules. By doing this you: 1. effectively kill the idea of the BP guy being an opener... if that's your goal.. go back to hell where you belong.. 2. what happens on that rare game (and it happens all the time) where a starter can't even get out of the first inning... We've all seen these.. just with the Yanks both for and against... so you lose your DH before you even get to bat?

Lets get real... with the DH rule change.. let's fix the REAL problem... KILL INTERLEAGUE PLAY ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!! So I'm on board with hating this rule change from top to bottom....
    I for one would not be sorry to see a bp game go away . I never seen the point of it . And I kind of like the new dh rule . Brings back the game of chess style in baseball . But I would only have no problem with that dh rule if the dh was brought to both leagues . Itís the moving of the mound that I think is dumb , I see more pitching injuries as a result of it .
    Last edited by Posada20; 04-19-2021 at 07:50 PM.

I'm in favor of either moving the rubber back a foot or reducing the heigth of the mound by several inches as was done back after the '68 season, the last time that pitching was dominating the game. At that time the heigth was dropped from something like 18" (?) to around the current 12" (?). I'm unsure as to whether the heigth can be reduced much more without hurting pitcher's arms so rubber distance may have be adopted. Maybe just 6" back would be enough.
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 04-19-2021 at 08:40 PM.