Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    I understand that viewpoint. I don’t agree, but you’re not necessarily wrong. I just think he’s one of our best players AND the youth. I ride with him first, or at least make sure he gets as much time as possible
    I'd like to see IQ work on short pull-up jumpers in the paint. He is starting his floaters farther out than he used to because he's starting to see them get blocked.

SNY, nice piece to what has been discussed:

There are fans who probably would prefer that the Knicks were battling for ping pong balls at this point in the season, fans who’d rather see Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox in the rotation ahead of veterans like Elfrid Payton, Reggie Bullock, and Alec Burks.

But Thibodeau was never going to give young players minutes if he didn’t think they gave the Knicks the best chance to win. That’s not in his DNA. If the Knicks wanted to tank ahead of a deep 2021 NBA Draft, they shouldn’t have hired Thibodeau, because he was always going to play veterans ahead of young players if he felt the vets gave the Knicks the best chance to win.

Of course, you can agree or disagree with that approach to team building.

When we look back at this season a few years from now, it will be an interesting test case for fans who want the Knicks to tank.

Would RJ Barrett have improved as much as he has if the Knicks were getting blown out regularly? Would Immanuel Quickley be further along if the Knicks had put him in the starting lineup but ended up 18 games under .500? What about Knox and Ntilikina?

It’s impossible to know.

But Barrett certainly sees value in the Knicks veterans.

“I’m kind of like a sponge everyday -- getting a chance to grow, make mistakes, keep learning. So it’s great to have vets, they always pick you up,” Barrett said last week when asked about the veterans on the roster. “After I had that turnover in the game against Boston (last week), there was a timeout. (I) went to the bench and the whole team, everybody, picked me up. Taj (Gibson), was like, ‘It's alright, you’re going to get it back. Watch.’ And then the next play, I made a shot to tie the game. So it's great to have vets like that around.”

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    SNY, nice piece to what has been discussed:
    I dont think the argument has ever been about the value of vets. It's more about the role of vets on a rebuilding team. If the youngins don't show the kind of promise you want to build around, then you'll be in the position to draft another one. Now, we won't be because of the role we have our vets playing.

I think we had to do this because Randle came out of nowhere this yr and he definitely needed help but I don't see how not playing the young ones, helps them grow or helps this team long term. Burks and Bully will always be secondary players and they'll never get you over the top unless you already have your studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    I dont think the argument has ever been about the value of vets. It's more about the role of vets on a rebuilding team. If the youngins don't show the kind of promise you want to build around, then you'll be in the position to draft another one. Now, we won't be because of the role we have our vets playing.

I think we had to do this because Randle came out of nowhere this yr and he definitely needed help but I don't see how not playing the young ones, helps them grow or helps this team long term. Burks and Bully will always be secondary players and they'll never get you over the top unless you already have your studs.

burks and bully will be great pieces moving on with more pieces, you think with 50-60m in cap depending, we get nobody?

This is the first year I actually feel confident players young and vets will want to come here. We know Ball wants to come, and I can see a Deroz wanting to come, past years no freakn way.

So yea your playing for draft picks yet again, i've seen that road before it don't work, Philly is not an example unless your drafting a guy that will be out for a year and half and tanking for like 5 years ok, but you have Randle, Mitch and RJ, sorry none of them would want this to happen differently, and RJ already said it.

Enjoy the ride, I am, i'm not for putting my eggs into a lottery that is so different now a days, when you finish last and then hear we were lucky to get the third pick, what the hell are we tanking for then?

and top 5 is not a guarantee, a guarantee is getting talented FA's that want to come with all the cap we got because we are winning. We still have draft picks they just may be used to get a very good player,

Each season you play for top 4 to have home court advantage, well we are 1.5 games out of 4th, this year top 6 is in, well we are presently in.

Why now are we pissed off about the lottery? We have been dangling 4th almost all season, and to my surprise it has continued and i am so pleased about it, no more playing for lottery and ping pong balls, what a refreshing change we are actually playing meaningful basketball and your unhappy, go figure?

How many when the season started thought with 16 games left and playing Dallas tomorrow for one thing a meaningful game but just the point we actually think we have a shot to win the game, and without Mitch?

Not me lol

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    burks and bully will be great pieces moving on with more pieces, you think with 50-60m in cap depending, we get nobody?

This is the first year I actually feel confident players young and vets will want to come here. We know Ball wants to come, and I can see a Deroz wanting to come, past years no freakn way.

So yea your playing for draft picks yet again, i've seen that road before it don't work, Philly is not an example unless your drafting a guy that will be out for a year and half and tanking for like 5 years ok, but you have Randle, Mitch and RJ, sorry none of them would want this to happen differently, and RJ already said it.

Enjoy the ride, I am, i'm not for putting my eggs into a lottery that is so different now a days, when you finish last and then hear we were lucky to get the third pick, what the hell are we tanking for then?

and top 5 is not a guarantee, a guarantee is getting talented FA's that want to come with all the cap we got because we are winning. We still have draft picks they just may be used to get a very good player,

Each season you play for top 4 to have home court advantage, well we are 1.5 games out of 4th, this year top 6 is in, well we are presently in.

Why now are we pissed off about the lottery? We have been dangling 4th almost all season, and to my surprise it has continued and i am so pleased about it, no more playing for lottery and ping pong balls, what a refreshing change we are actually playing meaningful basketball and your unhappy, go figure?

How many when the season started thought with 16 games left and playing Dallas tomorrow for one thing a meaningful game but just the point we actually think we have a shot to win the game, and without Mitch?

Not me lol
    I agree 100%. First you learn how to win within a system, then players will want to be part of it. How anyone cannot be happy with this team right now makes me wonder what kind of fans they really are. Every single team but one doesn't win a ring. Respectability comes first, then the chance to win it all. We are finally respected.

The Knicks Front Office made the right coaching hire but where they go from there is anyone's guess.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516