Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Jorge YOU are the one who brought Stanton into the convo suggesting Torres was being "instructed" to be a HR hitter. My original point, which I believe has ample substance, he always had power.
    I never denied bringing Stanton into this conversation so what the heck are you talking about ? My original point is that while Torres has some power , he doesn’t have the power that Stanton or judge possess . And I am in the belief that someone has implanted in his head that he does and that hitting hrs is the main thing he should be trying to do at the plate . Hence why he keeps swinging so hard and out of his shoes in a lot of his at bats .

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Really I was insinuating that they go the whole season with wade or estrada ? If I was really doing that then answer this simple question . What would happen to both dj and Torres once voit came back ? You and that Chapin guy can’t possibly think that I would advocate benching either Torres or dj in favor of wade or estrada . Especially when I never even said that or even hinted that .
    I think you are that foolish to insulate that. Yes. I think you are that ignorant to think that. Yes. That is how you present everything. Foolish comments then backpedal into the victim.
    Yes. I think if Wade had a week of hitting 280 or better, you would be screaming that Torres should be gone or benched.

For the record, DJ is absolutely a superior defensive first baseman to Voit. It's not close. Voit has improved but DJ is a gold glove level fielder at every position in the infield.
    You are wrong about that as well.

You also ran away on that. You said Voit is better than DJ at first base. Then you said DJ isn't that much better.

Now I am sure there will be some nonsensical response to this with a yeah, but ... but... but...

The only but in any of this is, I would consider your comments to have any sort of legitimacy BUT I don't and no one else does.

You are a troll. That's it.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    They are soft. They fold up like charmin when they are losing but will certainly pump out their chests when. they win. This team right now, has zero heart.
    I remember Leo talking about a split in the clubhouse between guys who liked Voit and guys who, liked Stanton. I thought that very possible then, even more so now. I think there are guys who, don't really want to play at all costs and guys who do.
    Stanton, Torres, Gary, Hicks are all guys I see in the "not so much" category.
    Voit, Gardner, Frazier, DJ, Gio are guys who would do whatever it takes.
    That makes Boone a peace keeper. I do think he's good at that. I can only imagine if Girardi was here and had to deal with that.
    Yeah but "slappy" was a washed up worthless waste of money in 2018 as I recall.

I do agree in some ways. It's plain to see who the gamers are, who plays with intensity. Who literally runs thru walls to make the play.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

IMO Torres has power very similar to Cano when he was here. I think if he turns it around , Torres is a 25-35 hr a yr guy. I think in his prime yrs he could hit 40, depending on the ball.

Torres issue isn't about his power right now. I think when he starts making good contact the hrs will follow. Right now his biggest problem, like most everyone else on this team is his approach. He's swinging out of his shoes and he swing at bad pitches. He just needs to worry about shortening up and making contact right now, if he does that they power should naturally come back.

He still just a kid with most players his age still in the minors or just breaking through. In 18-19 the kid looked like he was going to be a very special player and would like to see the Yanks help him find the player hi is proven he can be, a perennial AS 2nd baseman.

I think at some point you have to look at the hitting coach and why what he is teaching is not working at all. Thames has to get these guys ready to hit at the plate not waiting till they are behind in the count to start swinging. If they make a coaching change my money is on Thames to go first

While I do agree Torres has power I think it’s in the more 20 to 30 hr range . And maybe up to 35 if he has a great year . But beyond that is doubtful since in 2019 everyone and their mother was hitting atleast 10 to 20 hrs that year. I also am not convinced that just replacing Thames will make much of a difference since the next guy will just be another coach who buys into the analytic mantra that cashman has instilled in everyone below him

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Yeah but "slappy" was a washed up worthless waste of money in 2018 as I recall.

I do agree in some ways. It's plain to see who the gamers are, who plays with intensity. Who literally runs thru walls to make the play.
    I love Garnder, Globe, Slappy... To me he is a perfect Yankee.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    IMO Torres has power very similar to Cano when he was here. I think if he turns it around , Torres is a 25-35 hr a yr guy. I think in his prime yrs he could hit 40, depending on the ball.

Torres issue isn't about his power right now. I think when he starts making good contact the hrs will follow. Right now his biggest problem, like most everyone else on this team is his approach. He's swinging out of his shoes and he swing at bad pitches. He just needs to worry about shortening up and making contact right now, if he does that they power should naturally come back.

He still just a kid with most players his age still in the minors or just breaking through. In 18-19 the kid looked like he was going to be a very special player and would like to see the Yanks help him find the player hi is proven he can be, a perennial AS 2nd baseman.

I think at some point you have to look at the hitting coach and why what he is teaching is not working at all. Thames has to get these guys ready to hit at the plate not waiting till they are behind in the count to start swinging. If they make a coaching change my money is on Thames to go first

Agreed.

Also, all the Talk about who will be where and when? The guy who will get moved IMO will be Gio.
    He will be a UFA in 24. After this year, he has 2 years of arbitration. He will be 31 when he's a UFA. He is the ultimate trade piece. including this year, 3 years of control? Damn.
    I could see the Yankees keeping him until they move Torres to 3rd and bring in another SS or even better, my hope for Peraza comes true and he takes over at SS.

Ignorance is bliss

I love Garnder, Globe, Slappy... To me he is a perfect Yankee.
    I have always felt that way. Reason I would defend him.

Seems too many guys today don't want to get their uni dirty! More concerned how they will look on camera. Not Gardy.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Agreed.

Also, all the Talk about who will be where and when? The guy who will get moved IMO will be Gio.
    He will be a UFA in 24. After this year, he has 2 years of arbitration. He will be 31 when he's a UFA. He is the ultimate trade piece. including this year, 3 years of control? Damn.
    I could see the Yankees keeping him until they move Torres to 3rd and bring in another SS or even better, my hope for Peraza comes true and he takes over at SS.
    While I agree about urshela being moved eventually and before 24 , moving Torres to third base is not the way to go when he lacks range and he doesn’t have the throwing arm to make good throws from ss to first base . How can you expect him to make strong accurate throws from third to first when it’s a greater distance from ss to first ? I am thinking if they trade usherela after next season , that it could Alvarez that replaces urshela . He is a solid glove at 3b and had a 114wrc+ in double A 2 years ago .
    Last edited by Posada20; 04-20-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    While I agree about urshela being moved eventually and before 24 , moving Torres to third base is not the way to go when he lacks range and he doesn’t have the throwing arm to make good throws from ss to first base . How can you expect him to make strong accurate throws from third to first when it’s a greater distance from ss to first ?
    What? Wrong again. Wow. SS is the farthest throw on the field. That's why SS have the best arms in the IF. Good lord dude. Really? 3rd is a longer throw? If you want to say the occasion when he's all the way back? Yes. But in general, Look where the SS stands. Watch when the SS goes deep into the hole between 3rd and Short and makes that throw, oh yeah. You don't watch.
    Think Jeter running into the hole and jumping to make the throw.
    SS have the better arms.

In any case

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/ml...gleyber-torres

Arm (60) – This could be a touch low. I only put Torres at a 60 due to him having plus- to plus-plus arm strength, but struggling at times to get his feet right under him, especially during cutoffs.

Torres could be a solid third baseman with his arm strength. I do think his arm plays well at short to help him remain at the position for at least the short term.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/y...e-in-the-bronx

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2018/04/y...ase_call-.html
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 04-20-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Ignorance is bliss

What? Wrong again. Wow. SS is the farthest throw on the field. That's why SS have the best arms in the IF. Good lord dude. Really? 3rd is a longer throw? Look where the SS stands. Watch when the SS goes deep into the hole between 3rd and Short and makes that throw, oh yeah. You don't watch.

In any case

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/ml...gleyber-torres

Arm (60) – This could be a touch low. I only put Torres at a 60 due to him having plus- to plus-plus arm strength, but struggling at times to get his feet right under him, especially during cutoffs.

Torres could be a solid third baseman with his arm strength. I do think his arm plays well at short to help him remain at the position for at least the short term.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/y...e-in-the-bronx

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2018/04/y...ase_call-.html
    Still don’t see the point in moving Torres to yet a third position when they have a couple minor league third basemen who could be ready in 2 years . Because if Torres is around in 2 years he will likely be at 2b by then and doing well there . With dj likely at first by then. And btw Torres is a free agent after the 2024 season too . So it’s not guaranteed that he will be here for the long term either .
    Last edited by Posada20; 04-20-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234