Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Analyzing Gleyber Torres’s strange start at the plate to 2021

Analyzing Gleyber Torres’s strange start at the plate to 2021
    The Yankees’ shortstop has struggled catching up to the heat.
    By Tom Krosnowski Apr 14, 2021, 10:00am EDT

Much has been made about Gleyber Torres’s defense early on in 2021. He’s had a hard time acclimating to shortstop at the big league level, leading to questions about his long-term fit. However, there weren’t supposed to be serious questions about Torres’s bat. He’s a career 120 OPS+ hitter who has a 38-homer season to his credit and should only be growing at age 24.

However, Torres’s offensive performance has been inconsistent since the abbreviated 2020 season. That year, he became more selective at the plate, but he was also sapped of his power and hit just .243. Given his strong finish to the season and solid playoff performance, it seemed fair to say that Torres’s dip was just a 43-game sample size aberration rather than a true issue.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2021/...mp-2021-season
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Was he juicing his fantastic year? Sadly, that's always a question. I don't think so but who knows.

He has certainly been less than what was expected. Again, it's so early in the year that I am not yet concerned but as discussed previously, the work ethic is a question.

You read about Dominguez and how he lives his life. You hear about it with Judge, Stanton, Frazier. You don't with Torres. (Or Sanchez). The FO pushes the narrative that they work very hard but I am starting to doubt that more and more.
    To be clear and fair, Gleybar is nowhere near the level of lazy that Sanchez is but as a kid who has not yet proven himself, because I don't consider 1 great year as proof, he needs to work harder than ever.

Ignorance is bliss

There was a rumor he had a buzzer. It was him specifically not any other Yankees. I think the astros did this and I think it’s very possible he did this.

I think one thing that is screwing up Torres is that someone in coaching and/or the front office convinced him because of that one season that he is a big time home run hitter like judge and Stanton . He is constantly trying to swing for the fences instead of just trying to get on base or move the runners over . In other words someone is trying to turn Torres into something he is clearly not .

Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    There was a rumor he had a buzzer. It was him specifically not any other Yankees. I think the astros did this and I think it’s very possible he did this.
    I forgot about that and it's a great point. Certainly it's a consideration.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    I think one thing that is screwing up Torres is that someone in coaching and/or the front office convinced him because of that one season that he is a big time home run hitter like judge and Stanton . He is constantly trying to swing for the fences instead of just trying to get on base or move the runners over . In other words someone is trying to turn Torres into something he is clearly not .

Well, they need to stop because he looks terrible. Not getting good swings at all.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Imo, his problems with the glove are in his head and effecting his AB's. He's pressing. The media scrutiny doesn't help the situ. He's too good a player to look this bad.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Hogwash. He hit 24 hr's his rookie season and slashed .271/.340/.480/.820 in 123 games. In 2019 he hit 38 and slashed .278/.337/.535/.871 in 144 games played. He ALWAYS had the power no convincing required.

Imo his glove is effecting his bat. Media is on his case which only serves to magnify the issue and increase the anxiety. He looks lost at the plate, definitely not getting good hacks. Not seeing the ball well at all. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Imo, his problems with the glove are in his head and effecting his AB's. He's pressing. The media scrutiny doesn't help the situ. He's too good a player to look this bad.
    I agree with this as well. My only thoughts above were it was a rumor and who knows? Maybe he was using a device his first 2 years.
    I think he is crappy at SS and it is carrying over to the plate.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I agree with this as well. My only thoughts above were it was a rumor and who knows? Maybe he was using a device his first 2 years.
    I think he is crappy at SS and it is carrying over to the plate.
    Clown you are right, who knows....but there is also ample evidence that the allegation was a twitter conspiracy (employing doctored photo) and debunked. Why would the Yankees take the time, money and risk to set up a pitch surveillance system for one guy? A rookie no less! Wouldn't they all be wearing them?

Considering the fallout from the Houston scandal (they fired A.J. Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow, after they were suspended for one year, the Sox parted with Alex Cora) would the Yankees take the risk amidst such scrutiny from the commissioners office?

Sign stealing is as old as the game. Sophisticated electronic surveillance systems go beyond what is condoned on "the field." Are the Yankees innocent? Hell no. However, in this case I believe a twitter conspiracy theory got blown way out of proportion. I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but there are questions of credibility of sources that must always be given consideration.

Maybe short stop is to Much for him and we need to move him back to 2nd.

If that is the case then maybe he isn’t as great as people thought he was .

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Just think Roberto Kelly. Trade him for a vet who needs a change of scenery and hits left handed.
    Soundgarden
    1. Fell on Black Days( Cornell with vocal perfection)
    2. Outshined
    3. Spoonman
    4. Black Hole Sun
    5. Loud Love
    6. Ugly Truth

Can’t go back now....They are committed to DJ not Torres.....trade Torres NOW!
    Soundgarden
    1. Fell on Black Days( Cornell with vocal perfection)
    2. Outshined
    3. Spoonman
    4. Black Hole Sun
    5. Loud Love
    6. Ugly Truth

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Can’t go back now....They are committed to DJ not Torres.....trade Torres NOW!
    Cant argue with that , I mean moving dj around the diamond this season hasnt helped the defense so far . Unfortunately if the Yankees really want to improve defense at ss they need to trade Torres and trade tor a better defensive ss

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast