Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let Conforto GO

Let Conforto GO

IMO, I think the Mets are better off letting Conforto leave as a FA. Just move Nimo over and sign/trade for a CF. I know, I know itís early. Whatever, we need a proven CF and I think Nimo is a better player than Conforto. And thatís what it comes down to.
    I downloaded free trading app and have been making a lot of money ever since. Everything green energy is flying

Not ready to say this, but if the choice is between Nimmo and Conforto long term yeah Nimmo might be the better choice to keep.

Again depends on what he wants and how the year plays out, right now Nimmo stock is up and Conforto is down.

Nimmo is a LF though and if Conforto is gone, you will need to find a RF(perhaps Lee) and a CF.

Nimmo certainly might be better than Conforto. Conforto is better than what he's shown. Conforto isn't as good as Springer and doesn't warrant a contract approaching Springer's. Given Boras' history, Conforto's asking price may exceed his true "smart" value, and I agree that we shouldn't overpay for him.

That being said, I think there's gonna be a lockout after the 2021 and all of the above will be somewhat irrelevant.
    "If we want to be an iconic franchise, which I think we are capable of doing, we have to write more good stories than bad, and occasionally we have to write a really epic story." --Sandy Alderson

The season is a week old, and I would rather Steve and friends open up their wallets and retain Michael.

"Nimmo is only a 4th outfielder."

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    The season is a week old, and I would rather Steve and friends open up their wallets and retain Michael.

"Nimmo is only a 4th outfielder."

I could not disagree more about Nimmo. Imo, he has more of a proven track record than Conforto

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    I could not disagree more about Nimmo. Imo, he has more of a proven track record than Conforto
    I once got into with someone here about Nimmo being a 4th outfielder. They felt Sandy should trade him for Gregory Polanco, this person claimed Nimmo is nothing more than a 4th outfielder.

I remember listening to an interview with Chad MacDonald back in 2013/14, Chad was the director of amateur scouting when Nimmo was drafted, basically saying he has the best pitch recognition he has ever drafted. Chad went on to say that once he refines his strike zone, he will be a perennial .380+ obp player. Scouts saw him as nothing more than a passive hitter. Hell, even Keith Hernandez often criticized Nimmo for that. These scouts also claimed after his 1st few seasons he is nothing more than a platoon player.

Scouts usually called Nimmo as nothing more than a 4th outfielder, fans picked up the mantle. I like to make fun of them for those remarks, hence the quotes.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Actually Nimmo has a better arm than Conforto. If you recall, Conforto came up as a LF (Nimmo as a CF/RF). What moved Conforto to RF was the acquisition of Cespedes. It was ok for awhile in 2015 when Cespedes would play CF once in awhile but when he signed the extension he said he wouldn't play CF anymore and the Mets handed the LF spot to Yoenis - and that moved Conforto to RF. Nimmo became a 4th outfielder, since Lagares was supposed to be in CF. Nimmo was also not available due to various injuries so he never really was counted on too much in those years. Nimmo will be an excellent right fielder. Pillar is here for another year and should play regularly. And let Khalil, Almora and Crow-Armstrong develop as the center fielder of the future. The Mets offense begins with Nimmo with his on base skills. Conforto can be replaced I think - just a power hitting guy who is very streaky.

I'd definitely take Nimmo over Conforto any day but I don't think it should be either or. I like Nimmo more because he likely will cost 75% to 80% of what Conforto will cost (maximum) and his OBP tool is elite. Conforto may be the better player but Nimmo IMO is more future proof.

But I think we need both unless we plan to get Bryant or someone else

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I'd definitely take Nimmo over Conforto any day but I don't think it should be either or. I like Nimmo more because he likely will cost 75% to 80% of what Conforto will cost (maximum) and his OBP tool is elite. Conforto may be the better player but Nimmo IMO is more future proof.

I want Bryant AND Conforto plus Nimmo.
    I don't care if people think I am Veruca Salt.

I want the world...I want the whole world...Give it to me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I want Bryant AND Conforto plus Nimmo.
    I don't care if people think I am Veruca Salt.

I want the world...I want the whole world...Give it to me now!
    I like this Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Extend Conforto 8/160

Extend Syndergaard 1/25

Extend Stroman 4/110

Extend Nimmo 5/75

Extend Dom 7/100

Extend Pete 7/100

Extend McNeil 5/80

Easy.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Oh and extend deGrom 15/600

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post

Unless their production starts to diverge substantially, I don't see why this would be the case. If Nimmo remains healthy in 2021-2022, he'll likely replicate his 2018 campaign for those two seasons...or better...and if he does that, he'll be very well-positioned for a Springer-type contract.
    "If we want to be an iconic franchise, which I think we are capable of doing, we have to write more good stories than bad, and occasionally we have to write a really epic story." --Sandy Alderson

Let Conforto go, we can do better

I cant see Cohen paying Conforto and another big market position player. I dont see Alderson being that aggressive either so if letting Conforto walk nets us Bryant, I'll take it. That should be their main focus unless someone takes that 3rd base position by the horns.

Conforto is a good player but he's not worth it imo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast