Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Probably not all that bad for us, money always talks and US money still spends pretty good.

That said I'm for massively increasing our support of UN intervention and making our military MUCH smaller. If the US left and the UN stepped in would you have the same issues with what will happen?
    Without our allies the US would lose everything.

And with China vyeing for world super power already, it would be incredibly bad timing.

And you know... there's the whole ethical dilema... is it OK to blow up countries and cause a mass genocide of civilians? Um... probably not?

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    That is why we shouldn't go to war lightly. Civilians are fair game in war. collateral damage like hospitals, and schools are often acceptable to accomplish the mission. Human errors can't be avoided in the fury of armed combat. War is hell on earth where it happens.

I can't imagine being on an American city street during a bombing or trying to live in the rumble of my home.
    Don't forget what Hawkeye said.

Hawkeye: War isnít Hell. War is war, and Hell is Hell. And of the two, war is a lot worse.

Father Mulcahy: How do you figure that, Hawkeye?

Hawkeye: Easy, Father. Tell me, who goes to Hell?

Father Mulcahy: Sinners, I believe.

Hawkeye: Exactly. There are no innocent bystanders in Hell. War is chock full of them ó little kids, cripples, old ladies. In fact, except for some of the brass, almost everybody involved is an innocent bystander.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Without our allies the US would lose everything.

And with China vyeing for world super power already, it would be incredibly bad timing.

And you know... there's the whole ethical dilema... is it OK to blow up countries and cause a mass genocide of civilians? Um... probably not?
    My point was that the US can get away with a lot because there is enough money moving to get people to overlook some crap behavior.

I think the UN is the answer to the ethical question. We have international world cops, we don't need to do it directly.

My point was that the US can get away with a lot because there is enough money moving to get people to overlook some crap behavior.

I think the UN is the answer to the ethical question. We have international world cops, we don't need to do it directly.
    I see all the counter points to my position and accept that they are valid in many respects. However, after we leave and the Taliban overrun the home guard we left behind and slaughter 1,000s or more, how do we react? Send in the UN after many or most of the deaths occur?

Perhaps we should just let the chips fall. I remember a very nice young man who went to school with my older son that was over there something like 2-3 tours. Worked as a bartender for a time--before he killed himself. I'm sick of it and think everyone else is too. But what is to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    I see all the counter points to my position and accept that they are valid in many respects. However, after we leave and the Taliban overrun the home guard we left behind and slaughter 1,000s or more, how do we react? Send in the UN after many or most of the deaths occur?

Perhaps we should just let the chips fall. I remember a very nice young man who went to school with my older son that was over there something like 2-3 tours. Worked as a bartender for a time--before he killed himself. I'm sick of it and think everyone else is too. But what is to be done?
    Why can't the UN step in as we leave? Why leave a time gap? The US should never have gone in, it should have been the UN from the beginning. How about we get the UN members to sponsor people who want to leave conflict areas for opportunities elsewhere where they can be safer from daily violence and oppression rather than trying to force our government/culture on that land?

Why can't the UN step in as we leave? Why leave a time gap? The US should never have gone in, it should have been the UN from the beginning. How about we get the UN members to sponsor people who want to leave conflict areas for opportunities elsewhere where they can be safer from daily violence and oppression rather than trying to force our government/culture on that land?
    Actually, one of the reasons given for extending the date was the evacuation of about 7,000 NATO troops besides our 2,500. Guess everyone is getting out for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    Actually, one of the reasons given for extending the date was the evacuation of about 7,000 NATO troops besides our 2,500. Guess everyone is getting out for the time being.
    And that seems backward to me.

The more I read up on this the more I'm convinced either one of 3 things. From least to most likely.

1. This is entirely political and Biden wants to make sure Trump doesn't receive credit.

2. He's hoping there's a regional force willing to take the USAs place.

3. Something behind the scenes is happening.
    Last edited by MRSpock; 04-18-2021 at 01:46 AM.

The more I read up on this the more I'm convinced either one of 3 things. From least to most likely.

1. This is entirely political and Biden wants to make sure Trump doesn't receive credit.

2. He's hoping there's a regional force willing to take the USAs place.

3. Something behind the scenes is happening.

NOPE
    https://thegrayzone.com/2021/04/16/b...g-contractors/

Apparently, it's all just a stunt, contractors, intel op's, and special forces (which are activity duty military members) will remain in Afganistan.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    NOPE
    https://thegrayzone.com/2021/04/16/b...g-contractors/

Apparently, it's all just a stunt, contractors, intel op's, and special forces (which are activity duty military members) will remain in Afganistan.
    If this is true it's terrible news. But I'm gonna want a better source. Gray Zone has a checkered past.

They are the epitome of self proclaimed journalist that are actually just bloggers they make **** up and lie all the time.

Edit: Oh and I should mention they're also anti-American. Pro China.

They propagated solemani as some amazing guy. They deny the camps settup in Northern China. And even have a history of defending the actions of Nirth Korea.
    Last edited by MRSpock; 04-18-2021 at 06:09 AM.

It would cause a massive backlash from the rest of the world. Rally a ton of people to their cause and likely kill 100s of thousands of civilian deaths. Not to mention being an unethical massive war crime

People get up in arms about our use of drones. Which are extremely efficient.

It would be an awful decision that would likely make way to a domino effect if very bad things happening to America. Our allies would shun us and cut us off from Intel.
    That's cute. You care about war crimes now

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    That's cute. You care about war crimes now

Didn't know I ever wasn't.

I know it's a hot take but I'm also against mass genocide.

Didn't know I ever wasn't.

I know it's a hot take but I'm also against mass genocide.
    You seem ok with a president unilaterally deciding it's alright dropping drones in a country they are not at war with

You seem ok with a president unilaterally deciding it's alright dropping drones in a country they are not at war with

Given the attack was clearly to disable militias in Syria's ability to attack our allies.... especially when they had already attacked less than a week...

And you need to learn what a war crime is. You just massively contradicted yourself.

Thatís the problem with the AUMF that weíre using. There isnít a country declared. Itís a group/ideology that is declared. It says that the government has to allege they were involved with the attack on the US. It has been used to justify attacks on 14 countries. Almost equally between Obama and Bush and even twice by Trump.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast