Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    As opposed to second most post season receptions in... regular season history?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Itís the Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Hines*

Also itís a bit closer than it initially looks. Plus Hines had Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Byron Leftwich, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham throwing him the ball in a running era.

Edelman had Tom Brady.

Additionally:

https://twitter.com/averyperri/statu...485299713?s=21

I always liked Hines and his physical play style, but I honestly can't recall many memorable moments the way Edelman had. Like SB49 where he ran a route to get wide open for the game winning TD (9/109/1TD); or the circus catch in SB51 (5/89/0); or the production in SB53 (10/140/0; also had a **** load of 1st downs).

When people think of Edelman I think they think of of the guy he was over the 7 year stretch from 2013 through 2020. In those 7 years he missed an entire year with a preseason injury and had a season he missed a whole second half before coming back for playoffs. So I look at it as a 5.5 year run of production (Iím not going to factor in the game missed here or there because thatís a part of life as opposed to real long term injuries). He had 540 catches for 5793 yards in those 5.5 years. That translates to about 98/1053 per season.

Thatís very good, but not elite. He wasnít an elite player. And 5.5 years is not any sort of great longevity.

If he had done that over a 10 year span then heíd at least have longevity. And with the postseason career, Iíd at least hear an argument for it pushing him into the HOF. Because beyond postseason numbers he has postseason ďmomentsĒ for me. The game winner vs SEA, catching Amendolas pass vs BAL, the 1st downs vs KC in arrowhead, the crazy catch in the ATL comeback. Lots of big, iconic plays that honesty are part of the fabric of NFL history in a pretty significant way. I donít even really care about the SB MVP that much since it was really just a stat compilation game as opposed to any one play being truly special or meaningful.

That stuff does matter for me. If he had longevity or was better for the short run he had as a primary receiver Iíd probably be on board. But the level of player he was for as short as he was just isnít enough for me to let that push him in.

Iím not saying Edelman is a HOFer here but look at some of the WRís in the HOF. Not great. Hell, even Namath was not that great of a player. But He was iconic.

I think thereís an argument to be made outside of statistics. And past HOF voting shows that itís not always about the statistics. Iconic moments and other players of your time comparatively also matter. Winning matters and key players on dynastyís are also favored .

Thinking of some of the WRís who will be up for the HOF when Edelman would be, I donít see many shoe ins. Thereís a couple, but IDK. The NFL doesnít only care about the numbers, otherwise TO would be in first ballot.

Just as thereís an argument against the stat compilation players thereís an argument for guys like Edelman. He wonít be a first ballot HOFer. But who knows, when some years go by and the highlight films of the era are played, Edelman is going to be in a lot of them. The HOF is a museum of NFL history and I think Edelman has a big place in that. More so than some of the stat compilers like Phillip Rivers.
    Last edited by Oakmont_4; 04-13-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Iím not saying Edelman is a HOFer here but look at some of the WRís in the HOF. Not great. Hell, even Namath was not that great of a player. But He was iconic.

I think thereís an argument to be made outside of statistics. And past HOF voting shows that itís not always about the statistics. Iconic moments and other players of your time comparatively also matter. Winning matters and key players on dynastyís are also favored .

Thinking of some of the WRís who will be up for the HOF when Edelman would be, I donít see many shoe ins. Thereís a couple, but IDK. The NFL doesnít only care about the numbers, otherwise TO would be in first ballot.

Just as thereís an argument against the stat compilation players thereís an argument for guys like Edelman. He wonít be a first ballot HOFer. But who knows, when some years go by and the highlight films of the era are played, Edelman is going to be in a lot of them. The HOF is a museum of NFL history and I think Edelman has a big place in that. More so than some of the stat compilers like Phillip Rivers.
    Mario Manningham and David Tyree should be in for their iconic moments too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Edelman is certainly not a HOF guy.

If the likes of Art Monk, Lynn Swann, Joe Namath, Bob Greise, Bob Hayes can get in, I donít see how anyone can say matter of factly that Edelman wonít get consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Edelman is certainly not a HOF guy.
    Agreed.
    85 career starts with 36 career receiving TDS just isnít enough.
    I like the guy and heís much better then his stats but no where close to being a HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    If the likes of Art Monk, Lynn Swann, Joe Namath, Bob Greise, Bob Hayes can get in, I donít see how anyone can say matter of factly that Edelman wonít get consideration.
    Art Monk is undoubtedly a lot better then Edelman.

I also think playoff stats shouldnít be weighed nearly as much as regular season stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Has there ever been a guy voted in who has never made the pro bowl?
    We all know pro bowls are stupid but some of the older voters take them a bit more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Art Monk is undoubtedly a lot better then Edelman.
    Iíd agree heís better. And has a better case but mostly due to longevity. He really only had 1 elite season. The rest of his numbers were compilation numbers and he gets a ton of gas because he was on a dominant team and played in 3 Super Bowls.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I also think playoff stats shouldnít be weighed nearly as much as regular season stats.

Why?

Joe Namath is one of the most famous QBs in Pro Football history; it would be silly not to have him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Yeah, his stats stink compared to today, but it's not like he wasn't a top QB for his era.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 04-13-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Joe Namath is one of the most famous QBs in NFL history; it would be silly not to have him in the Hall of Fame.

Yeah, his stats stink compared to today, but it's not like he wasn't a top NFL QB for his era.
    Of course he is. And I have no issue with him being there. But him being there is one of many examples of players who are in the HOF for reasons outside of statistics. Yes he has some numbers that are relevant to him being there. But I think we can both admit his numbers are not the reason heís in

City of Champions

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast