Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2021 NBA Draft thread

With the Timberwolves it looks like y'all are picking 1st again for the 2nd year in a row from mocks that I've seen virtually everywhere and taking Cade Cunningham with the #1 overall pick

Have to wait and see what happens in the lottery. If we keep our pick(has to be in the top 3) I would think it will be somewhat similar to last year, "expect the wolves to shop their top pick for a star" headlines will fill your Twitter feeds. If we don't keep our pick, it will be interesting to see what Rosas does. He likes to make trades and be active on draft night, so I would expect him to try and get back into the draft if the pick ultimately goes to the warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowKG View Post
    Have to wait and see what happens in the lottery. If we keep our pick(has to be in the top 3) I would think it will be somewhat similar to last year, "expect the wolves to shop their top pick for a star" headlines will fill your Twitter feeds. If we don't keep our pick, it will be interesting to see what Rosas does. He likes to make trades and be active on draft night, so I would expect him to try and get back into the draft if the pick ultimately goes to the warriors.
    This year is good up top the draft, and we could badly use Cade ot Jalen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    This year is good up top the draft, and we could badly use Cade ot Jalen.
    I think Mobley, Cade, and Suggs would all be great additions. I'm not sure what the haul ultimately would have been for the number 1 pick last year but I would have to think a top-three pick this year could be moved easier and for a better return. It's a good thing our pick is top 3 protected, at least you aren't losing out on one of those three assets if the pick ends up in the warriors hands.

I like Green and even Kuminga some too based on what I have seen but in the end it only really matters if we land top 3 or not. I think adding any of the top guys is going to be a major factor in our outlook moving forward and if we are likely to truly be a competitive team or more of a fringe playoff type.

We haven't had beasley but Russell came back now and with Edwards developed and Towns healthy too we actually have played well. I haven't noticed tons with the new coaching other than rotations and he lets em play a bit but overall seems solid to me so far.

We really need to keep that pick though.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I like Green and even Kuminga some too based on what I have seen but in the end it only really matters if we land top 3 or not. I think adding any of the top guys is going to be a major factor in our outlook moving forward and if we are likely to truly be a competitive team or more of a fringe playoff type.

We haven't had beasley but Russell came back now and with Edwards developed and Towns healthy too we actually have played well. I haven't noticed tons with the new coaching other than rotations and he lets em play a bit but overall seems solid to me so far.

We really need to keep that pick though.
    Certainly wouldn't hurt to add Cade, Suggs, or Mobley to this team now that we have seen they could be a competent team when fully healthy....I'd feel better about the Wiggins trade if we keep our top three this year and then we finish middle of the pack next year and only give away a 12-16 pick next year. I have watched most of the Finch-coached games and I think he has done way more than just better rotations. Even if we lose our pick because of playing well over the end of the season, I do see some value in the continuity with this team and having this momentum carry into the offseason. Not as much value as getting a top-three pick but the roster is at least proving it can win some games.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowKG View Post
    Certainly wouldn't hurt to add Cade, Suggs, or Mobley to this team now that we have seen they could be a competent team when fully healthy....I'd feel better about the Wiggins trade if we keep our top three this year and then we finish middle of the pack next year and only give away a 12-16 pick next year. I have watched most of the Finch-coached games and I think he has done way more than just better rotations. Even if we lose our pick because of playing well over the end of the season, I do see some value in the continuity with this team and having this momentum carry into the offseason. Not as much value as getting a top-three pick but the roster is at least proving it can win some games.
    Ya I noted before the season how risky that was and here we are. I agree if it had just been next years pick instead we would be looking much better but making it this years could really limit us from taking a big step forward.

I mean it gets said every season the team does better in the 2nd half. We often seem to have a stretch like this but even ignoring that itís still a big difference between winning some games and truly competing. The pick is going to be the difference and if we lose it that will be a killer to the idea we will get to that next level we will be very limited going forward (unless we still suck in which case... well we would basically start over around Edwards).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Ya I noted before the season how risky that was and here we are. I agree if it had just been next years pick instead we would be looking much better but making it this years could really limit us from taking a big step forward.

I mean it gets said every season the team does better in the 2nd half. We often seem to have a stretch like this but even ignoring that itís still a big difference between winning some games and truly competing. The pick is going to be the difference and if we lose it that will be a killer to the idea we will get to that next level we will be very limited going forward (unless we still suck in which case... well we would basically start over around Edwards).

With the new lottery odds, the Wolves can't really win enough games to have a large enough effect. We've moved down to 4/5 even when our odds were like 70% to be in the top 3. As a realist, I will assume we are losing this pick and if we somehow end up keeping it, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I suggest you do the same. The truth is, how strong\weak a draft is is purely subjective. If anything, this past draft has already proven that. The 2020 draft may very well end being one of the best and deepest drafts in recent years. In fact, I am willing to bet on it.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

2021 NBA Draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    With the new lottery odds, the Wolves can't really win enough games to have a large enough effect. We've moved down to 4/5 even when our odds were like 70% to be in the top 3. As a realist, I will assume we are losing this pick and if we somehow end up keeping it, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I suggest you do the same. The truth is, how strong\weak a draft is is purely subjective. If anything, this past draft has already proven that. The 2020 draft may very well end being one of the best and deepest drafts in recent years. In fact, I am willing to bet on it.
    Well I was the one worried about losing it at the beginning of the year and said it could be high lol. I have been the expecting us to possibly lose a higher pick for a while thatís why I said the trade was riskier due to that possibility (and itís obviously looking more and more risky). We donít know what the options were but if he could have given something else like unprotected 22 itís a much better outlook for our future.

Even so itís seen as strong right now which would matter for trade value if long term we didnít see the prospects that way via scouting. The value of losing that pick is pretty high given where itís likely to end up.

I definitely agree though just expect not to have it. Itís always nice to dream of the what ifís though and how great of an outlook we could have if so.