Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    28,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I donít really think itís fair to just say Docís teams always underachieve without taking a deeper look. In Orlando his stars were decimated by injury. In Boston he had 2 finals appearances and 1 ring before again having an injury to KG and another to Shaq (yes I know he was at the end but if he was healthy that team couldnít have been stopped). LAC with Paul, Griffin and Jordan was a good but not great team - the only legitimate HOF player in that group was Paul but compared to his competition I never thought he had a better team than the top 2-3 teams in the league at the time. The only complete failure I can see in his career was last season in LAC. That was a complete failure and he lost the team. But he has an underperforming Philly team playing very well.

    You canít put Stevens ahead of him with no finals appearances at all. Carlisle has a better argument but I just disagree there.
    Also it wouldnít be a stretch to say that last years failures had a little something to do with PG13 disappearing also. Although I also heard that Rivers lost the locker room. Maybe a combination of both was the problem. But you canít have your 2nd best player just disappear.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,279
    Carlisle made the post Mavericks trailer park trash teams compete somehow. I remember Dirk having Monte Ellis as his Robin taking the eventual NBA championship Spurs to 7 games in the first round of the playoffs one season.

    Anyone not having Carlisle in their top 5 has short term memory.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

    San Antonio Spurs

    PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    Carlisle made the post Mavericks trailer park trash teams compete somehow. I remember Dirk having Monte Ellis as his Robin taking the eventual NBA championship Spurs to 7 games in the first round of the playoffs one season.

    Anyone not having Carlisle in their top 5 has short term memory.
    Carlisle also made OJ Mayo a good player.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    Carlisle made the post Mavericks trailer park trash teams compete somehow. I remember Dirk having Monte Ellis as his Robin taking the eventual NBA championship Spurs to 7 games in the first round of the playoffs one season.

    Anyone not having Carlisle in their top 5 has short term memory.
    I have Carlisle #6 behind Snyder. I could go either way with those 2. Carlisle has the championship but Snyder hasnít had the talent Carlisle did. Itís so close.

    I think ranking NBA coaches is harder than any other league, mainly because the the league is so Star driven.

    You can be a great coach (Stevens, Snyder) but if you donít have a top 10 player, you can only go so far. Then thereís the Pops and Jacksonís of the world that have had top 5 players for most of their careers and cashed in on them. And then thereís the current day coaches like Lue and Vogel who had LeBron. I donít think theyíre great coaches, but theyíll have LeBron for a couple seasons and win a championship or 2.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    28,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I have Carlisle #6 behind Snyder. I could go either way with those 2. Carlisle has the championship but Snyder hasnít had the talent Carlisle did. Itís so close.

    I think ranking NBA coaches is harder than any other league, mainly because the the league is so Star driven.

    You can be a great coach (Stevens, Snyder) but if you donít have a top 10 player, you can only go so far. Then thereís the Pops and Jacksonís of the world that have had top 5 players for most of their careers and cashed in on them. And then thereís the current day coaches like Lue and Vogel who had LeBron. I donít think theyíre great coaches, but theyíll have LeBron for a couple seasons and win a championship or 2.
    I mean Carlisle didnít have a super team. Thatís why I respect his ring more. Especially since his mavs beat a super team to get their ring.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,577
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I mean Carlisle didnít have a super team. Thatís why I respect his ring more. Especially since his mavs beat a super team to get their ring.
    Agreed. But he did have Dirk, and I probably rank Dirk higher than most people do. Dirk was a special talent man. Loved watching him. It killed me that Dallas drafted him before the Celtics could

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    Carlisle made the post Mavericks trailer park trash teams compete somehow. I remember Dirk having Monte Ellis as his Robin taking the eventual NBA championship Spurs to 7 games in the first round of the playoffs one season.

    Anyone not having Carlisle in their top 5 has short term memory.
    Carlisle also lost to the 8th seed Warriors.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    28,449
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Carlisle also lost to the 8th seed Warriors.
    Yeah but it took huge heroics by Baron Davis. I think that was an epic series.

    And that Warriors team was no slouch with Davis, Ellis, Richardson, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington. I loved that Warriors team they were so exciting to watch.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 04-09-2021 at 04:33 PM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    28,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Agreed. But he did have Dirk, and I probably rank Dirk higher than most people do. Dirk was a special talent man. Loved watching him. It killed me that Dallas drafted him before the Celtics could
    He was amazing but he didnít have a super team around him. The Mavs beat the Heatles. Thatís impressive as hell to me.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,988
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I think Terry Stots and Michael Malone get left off these lists a lot and while I wouldn't put them #1, I do think they are pretty good.
    People in Portland go crazy on Stotts all the time, but it's really more about the roster being back-loaded with undersized, non-defensive guys, with a lack of talent and health up front.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,997
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'll never understand the love for Doc Rivers. Like, I've not usually someone who places a ton of emphasis on rings alone, but he's coached a ton of incredibly talented players in his career and he has one ring and one other Finals appearance to show for it. His teams have never overachieved, and I'd argue they've underachieved more often than not.

    I would probably put him in my top 10 coaches, but I don't think he's top five. Off the top of my head, I'd at least rank Pop, Carlisle, Spoelstra, Nurse, Snyder and Stevens ahead of him. Kerr, too, although I'd like to see his teams succeed with an all-time great roster around him for once.
    Agreed for the most part on Doc. I think Terry Stotts deserves a shout as well, along with maybe Monty Williams and James Borrego as top 10 coaches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •