Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best coaches in the league??

Rank em

Top 5 (not in order)

Doc Rivers
    Greg Pop (though I do think heís a bit overrated, I donít think heís #1)
    Eric Spo
    Nick Nurse
    Quin Snyder

I heavily value the coaches who can win without top tier talent over those coaching super stars. If youíre coaching top 5 players - you need to be absolutely dominant for a long stretch of time.

My top 10

Pops
    Carlisle
    Spo
    Kerr
    Nurse
    Rivers
    Stevens
    Vogel
    Thibs
    Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Top 5 (not in order)

Doc Rivers
    Greg Pop (though I do think heís a bit overrated, I donít think heís #1)
    Eric Spo
    Nick Nurse
    Quin Snyder

I heavily value the coaches who can win without top tier talent over those coaching super stars. If youíre coaching top 5 players - you need to be absolutely dominant for a long stretch of time.
    Thatís a nice list. I agree the make up of their respective rosters make a significant difference

LeBron

Kawhi

KD

I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but I'd have those guys in my top 5 current coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    LeBron

Kawhi

KD

I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but I'd have those guys in my top 5 current coaches.
    I made this thread to settle a debate in the Raptors forum. And you just nailed it. My point has always consistently been that the roster itself really determines how good a coach looks. If Lue wins another ship with Kawhi after winning one with Lebron, I think he would be the perfect example of that.

Meh, Kawhi and KD don't really coach

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Meh, Kawhi and KD don't really coach

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Kawhi is a mute lol he leads with his actions

I think having 2 finals MVPs with 2 separate teams speaks a bit to a guys value.

I'll never understand the love for Doc Rivers. Like, I've not usually someone who places a ton of emphasis on rings alone, but he's coached a ton of incredibly talented players in his career and he has one ring and one other Finals appearance to show for it. His teams have never overachieved, and I'd argue they've underachieved more often than not.

I would probably put him in my top 10 coaches, but I don't think he's top five. Off the top of my head, I'd at least rank Pop, Carlisle, Spoelstra, Nurse, Snyder and Stevens ahead of him. Kerr, too, although I'd like to see his teams succeed with an all-time great roster around him for once.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'll never understand the love for Doc Rivers. Like, I've not usually someone who places a ton of emphasis on rings alone, but he's coached a ton of incredibly talented players in his career and he has one ring and one other Finals appearance to show for it. His teams have never overachieved, and I'd argue they've underachieved more often than not.

I would probably put him in my top 10 coaches, but I don't think he's top five. Off the top of my head, I'd at least rank Pop, Carlisle, Spoelstra, Nurse, Snyder and Stevens ahead of him. Kerr, too, although I'd like to see his teams succeed with an all-time great roster around him for once.
    Our top 5 looks similar.

I mean of the 30 coaches in the league I do believe Rivers is top 10.

lol someone putting lebron in the top 5 is probably actually correct

I think Terry Stots and Michael Malone get left off these lists a lot and while I wouldn't put them #1, I do think they are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I think Terry Stots and Michael Malone get left off these lists a lot and while I wouldn't put them #1, I do think they are pretty good.
    I agree. Huge respect for Malone.

My list is just my list. Itís not what I think is the general consensus. Youíre welcome to share youíre top 10. Thatís what the thread is about. Iím interested to see who yíall think are the best coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post

I donít really think itís fair to just say Docís teams always underachieve without taking a deeper look. In Orlando his stars were decimated by injury. In Boston he had 2 finals appearances and 1 ring before again having an injury to KG and another to Shaq (yes I know he was at the end but if he was healthy that team couldnít have been stopped). LAC with Paul, Griffin and Jordan was a good but not great team - the only legitimate HOF player in that group was Paul but compared to his competition I never thought he had a better team than the top 2-3 teams in the league at the time. The only complete failure I can see in his career was last season in LAC. That was a complete failure and he lost the team. But he has an underperforming Philly team playing very well.

You canít put Stevens ahead of him with no finals appearances at all. Carlisle has a better argument but I just disagree there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast