Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    My employees get direct deposit with their check statement emailed to them. They never look at it. They verify that their pay is in the bank and they worry about their W-2 form in Jan/Feb. That's about it.

If you take an employee that makes $500 a week and takes home $400 a week, they'll say they earn $400 a week.And they will have no idea that it costs me an additional $30-$40 in matching taxes. It's unbelievable how little some of them know.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    100% agree
    Classic "old men yell at cloud".

Geezus, how dense can you be. It was a round number example for the sake of simplicity. I guess you would have been happier if I used $1000/$800; $2,000/$1600????

FYI……lowest paid employee a year ago before Covid layoffs was $13 an hour (unskilled labor, 2 months on the job. His spit work now falls to me, retirement is postponed.). Current lowest paid employee is $19 an hour with health insurance (50%) (skilled worker, several years on the job). Hopefully this meets with your approval.
    I’m sorry Covid affected your business that severely.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I’m sorry Covid affected your business that severely.
    Thanks.

And going back to a previous (or is it prior) point about being directly responsible for one's own success……many business are gone. Several of my competitors are gone. I'd like to think that my "skills" allowed us to weather the storm and remain viable. It was my skills that allowed me to keep debt low so I could weather the storm, be able to qualify for payroll grants, keep key employees loyal and motivated, and maintain a customer base. It had nothing to do with the road outside and the building I'm in.

Thanks.

And going back to a previous (or is it prior) point about being directly responsible for one's own success……many business are gone. Several of my competitors are gone. I'd like to think that my "skills" allowed us to weather the storm and remain viable. It was my skills that allowed me to keep debt low so I could weather the storm, be able to qualify for payroll grants, keep key employees loyal and motivated, and maintain a customer base. It had nothing to do with the road outside and the building I'm in.
    Your skills did allow you to weather the storm. Where did you learn these skills? We’re you born with good business acumen, or did someone teach you?

I believe that the government needs to stay out of religious affairs (Marriage)
    Marriage is a broadly accepted cultural institution, not a de facto religious institution.

Your skills did allow you to weather the storm. Where did you learn these skills? We’re you born with good business acumen, or did someone teach you?
    Parents, although poor, were extremely straight laced and made sure I was educated (although I did not do to well in high school). Military taught me self reliance. Came out of the army and proved myself to be a good employee for a bank. My boss got the company to agree to pay for college (a privilege given to one or two employees a year.) There's that opportunity I keep harping on. Military allowed me to have the GI bill. GI bill also paid for college and between the employee college and GI bill college funding I was able to get educated for free (thru graduate school) and also save for a down payment on a house. (There's that opportunity again rearing its ugly head.) By now I was considered a good employee with seniority and was able to buy a house without closing costs or attorney fees. I rubbed elbows with most of the senior people in the company (golf, dinners, benefits etc.) and learned from all of them. I also learned what not to do from some of them.

Someone mentioned luck. There is no such thing as a lucky person. Everyone will eventually come across "luck," it just happens and you need to do something with it when it does. My luck came from a superior retiring and being asked to name a successor. I wasn't considered but went in and made a case and got the promotion. Within a year a few major events came along that I settled foir the company and my career took off. Eventually, things went south. We merged, I hit a major career roadblock, negotiated a nice buyout and moved to Florida and went into self employment.

So I've had a good job and been self employed. Given the choice,, I would prefer a good long term job in a good company. However, (big however) those types of jobs are disappearing, if not already gone. Now some businesses would rather fire the 50 year old making $75K and hire the 25 year old for $35K …and that hurts both parties, not to mention the company. I feel for those coming out of college looking for jobs. And it is going to get worse.

Parents, although poor, were extremely straight laced and made sure I was educated (although I did not do to well in high school). Military taught me self reliance. Came out of the army and proved myself to be a good employee for a bank. My boss got the company to agree to pay for college (a privilege given to one or two employees a year.) There's that opportunity I keep harping on. Military allowed me to have the GI bill. GI bill also paid for college and between the employee college and GI bill college funding I was able to get educated for free (thru graduate school) and also save for a down payment on a house. (There's that opportunity again rearing its ugly head.) By now I was considered a good employee with seniority and was able to buy a house without closing costs or attorney fees. I rubbed elbows with most of the senior people in the company (golf, dinners, benefits etc.) and learned from all of them. I also learned what not to do from some of them.

Someone mentioned luck. There is no such thing as a lucky person. Everyone will eventually come across "luck," it just happens and you need to do something with it when it does. My luck came from a superior retiring and being asked to name a successor. I wasn't considered but went in and made a case and got the promotion. Within a year a few major events came along that I settled foir the company and my career took off. Eventually, things went south. We merged, I hit a major career roadblock, negotiated a nice buyout and moved to Florida and went into self employment.

So I've had a good job and been self employed. Given the choice,, I would prefer a good long term job in a good company. However, (big however) those types of jobs are disappearing, if not already gone. Now some businesses would rather fire the 50 year old making $75K and hire the 25 year old for $35K …and that hurts both parties, not to mention the company. I feel for those coming out of college looking for jobs. And it is going to get worse.
    Then how can you say that anyone successful did it on their own when you’ve listed no less than half a dozen people that helped you get to where you are?

Would you be the same person if your parents hadn’t cared about you? Would you have learned the same level of self reliance if not for the Army? Would you have been able to pay for college completely if your boss hadn’t convinced the company to pay for it? Would you have done as well without the luck of your superior retiring, or the company agreeing to promote you after you made your case?

All of that was due to your hard work and aptitude, but also due to the mentorship, education, caring, and actions of all those other people. Without them, you would not be where you are. It is the same for any successful person. There are many people who did not have half the opportunities you did, and that is not to belittle your accomplishments, as all the opportunities you had would not have mattered if you did not work hard to take advantage of them.

But the idea that no one helped you along the way is ridiculous.

But you (hopefully) aren’t against interracial marriage, which was my point. The Liberals of the 60’s didn’t grow up and get smart by adopting the then conservative viewpoint interracial marriage was wrong, they became conservative because their previously liberal view that interracial marriage was acceptable became a conservative view in that they only though interracial marriage was acceptable, but not gay marriage, and the new liberal viewpoint was gay marriage.

Point is, as people get older they are not changing their views to become conservative, their views are becoming conservative as new progressive ideas become the liberal viewpoint.
    I am in an interracial marriage and government needs to stay out of ALL marriages. That's the point. Government out of religion.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Marriage is a broadly accepted cultural institution, not a de facto religious institution.
    It's accepted because government butted into where they did not belong. Sorry that you keep missing points but that is upon you.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

It's accepted because government butted into where they did not belong. Sorry that you keep missing points but that is upon you.
    Marriage is a legal binding document. Wtf you mean you want govt to stay out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The first recorded marriage in human history dates back to roughly 2000-3000 years before Jesus and occurred in Mesopotamia. The fact of the matter is that religion co-opted marriage not the other way around.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

I am in an interracial marriage and government needs to stay out of ALL marriages. That's the point. Government out of religion.
    I take it then, you think Government should not offer any tax incentives for marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    They literally can't go crazy enough to scare their base away. The only way they do that is if they work with Democrats. Which is why you haven't seen one Republican vote for a copy and paste COVID stimulus from when Trump was president and we haven't seen anyone step up willing to work on infrastructure. Even on things that, once again Trump supported, such as broadband investment.
    How was it copy and paste I was told by our media that this was a totally original idea by Biden, and that the democrats crafted everything on their own without any outside influence, also the 600 we got at the end of Trumps tenure counts as part of the 2k Biden promised somehow.

It’s not necessarily that the youth change and become republicans it’s that their previously liberal views become conservative over tune as more progressive views take hold.

For example the conservative view used to be that interracial couples couldn’t get married and the liberal one was that they should be able to. Now everyone believes that but you are a conservative if you don’t believe in gay marriage. In another 50 years everyone will think gay marriage is acceptable but there will be some other conservative viewpoint that in another 50 years will be the default.
    The states that were against interracial marriage were Democratic states bro.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    The states that were against interracial marriage were Democratic states bro.
    So how did republicans end up becoming so racist?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast