Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Should the Warriors retool?

The once-great Warriors have a negative record and are barely hanging on to a spot in the play-in tournament. Even with Klay Thompson back, it doesn't seem like they're going to be contenders. Steph Curry is already 33, while Thompson and a diminished Draymond Green are close behind at 31. James Wiseman appears to ó understandably, given his experience ó taking longer than the Warriors would like to become a serviceable center.
    Is it time for the Warriors to cash in their chips, including Wiseman and/or the Minnesota pick, for another star?

Edit: I changed the title from whether they should "trade Wiseman" to whether they should "retool". I realized the first version was a bit leading, as there are other moves they could make.
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 04-07-2021 at 11:04 PM.

I'm of the mind that they should cash the chips in to contend as long as they have the greatest-shooting back court of all time. We've seen how long Ray Allen stayed meaningful.
    Ironically, Minnesota came to mind. Towns doesn't seem like the alpha on a good team, and Minnesota doesn't have the personnel to make him into one.
    How about Andrew Wiggins, Wiseman, Minnesota's 2021 first- and second-rounders, the Warriors' 2022 first-rounder, a 2022 second-rounder from Toronto, the Warriors' 2025 first-rounder and a 2025 second-rounder from Charlotte for Towns and Jake Layman?
    I think that sets the Timberwolves up for another true rebuild, with plenty of picks to draft and/or deal. Wiseman can have some room to breath. He, Malik Beasley and Anthony Edwards are all locked down for four years, by which point Minnesota can hopefully inflate and trade at least two of D'Angelo Russell, Wiggins and Ricky Rubio for more assets. Does that seem worse than sucking with Towns and eventually trading him on a shorter contract for lesser value?
    Towns could really blossom into another alpha under the tutelage of the Warriors' core. I think he puts them right back into real contention.

Too early for this thread

Sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

If they wanna win now AKA next season sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I'm of the mind that they should cash the chips in to contend as long as they have the greatest-shooting back court of all time. We've seen how long Ray Allen stayed meaningful.
    Ironically, Minnesota came to mind. Towns doesn't seem like the alpha on a good team, and Minnesota doesn't have the personnel to make him into one.
    How about Andrew Wiggins, Wiseman, Minnesota's 2021 first- and second-rounders, the Warriors' 2022 first-rounder, a 2022 second-rounder from Toronto, the Warriors' 2025 first-rounder and a 2025 second-rounder from Charlotte for Towns and Jake Layman?
    I think that sets the Timberwolves up for another true rebuild, with plenty of picks to draft and/or deal. Wiseman can have some room to breath. He, Malik Beasley and Anthony Edwards are all locked down for four years, by which point Minnesota can hopefully inflate and trade at least two of D'Angelo Russell, Wiggins and Ricky Rubio for more assets. Does that seem worse than sucking with Towns and eventually trading him on a shorter contract for lesser value?
    Towns could really blossom into another alpha under the tutelage of the Warriors' core. I think he puts them right back into real contention.
    So much this

I donít know that Wiseman has all that much value at the moment. Not saying heís trash - certainly still a ton of upside there. But I just donít seen them adding 1 piece and getting back to the top of the conference again.

Green should be traded in the offseason and a youth movement should begin. Hell Iíd even shop Curry around. If you can get a haul of very good picks and young players - cash that chip in. I think he still has a few good years left in him but sell high.

Bring in some young players on the Wiseman timeline. Let Klay come back and show heís healthy and then trade him too.

GS built their championship team through the draft - cash out and do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I donít know that Wiseman has all that much value at the moment. Not saying heís trash - certainly still a ton of upside there. But I just donít seen them adding 1 piece and getting back to the top of the conference again.

Green should be traded in the offseason and a youth movement should begin. Hell Iíd even shop Curry around. If you can get a haul of very good picks and young players - cash that chip in. I think he still has a few good years left in him but sell high.

Bring in some young players on the Wiseman timeline. Let Klay come back and show heís healthy and then trade him too.

This would be my take, but I would at least give the team time with Klay back on the roster first before blowing it up. If they end up with an elite young prospect from Minnesota on top of a healthy Klay, it might be a good mix of youth and experience that helps them contend again.

If it doesn't work, then you start shopping the vets to build around the young guys. But dealing Wiseman would be a mistake given how short this team's remaining window appears to be.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 04-08-2021 at 11:12 AM.

No, we don't even know what this team is when healthy.

If they're still a fringe playoff team when fully healthy, then maybe look at next steps.

And no where in my next steps would it be trading a 20 year old 7 footer who rim runs and can shoot. Dude is perfect for todays NBA.

If the Wolves pick falls outside the top 3, they get yet another top pick in a deep draft. If their own pick stays in the top 20, they retain it. So potentially 2 first round picks in a deep draft, sign me up.

I'd be looking to see what an Oubre sign and trade this summer can net, along with what value if any Wiggins has, if not there's no issue holding onto him a little longer.

This was always going to be a transition year once Klay blew out his Achilles, then compounded by their rookie and Dray having covid to start the season.

Lastly, the Wolves would not take Wiggins back lol

Someone on reddit made a fantastic thread detailing Wiseman's negative impact on the team. Long Story short, His BPM is the worst among starting centers and rivals Kwame Brown, the team performs atrociously bad when he's on the court, and even worse when both him and Oubre are on the court.

The only silver lining is that he only played 3 college games and no summer league or preseason to prepare.

Give him one more season to prove his worth, otherwise it's time to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post

You lost most people at "shop Curry around." If there's only one more player who will stay with a single franchise, it's Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban Linx View Post
    Someone on reddit made a fantastic thread detailing Wiseman's negative impact on the team. Long Story short, His BPM is the worst among starting centers and rivals Kwame Brown, the team performs atrociously bad when he's on the court, and even worse when both him and Oubre are on the court.

The only silver lining is that he only played 3 college games and no summer league or preseason to prepare.

Give him one more season to prove his worth, otherwise it's time to trade him.
    BPM is far from gospel, especially with the "new" RAPTOR stat by 538.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    BPM is far from gospel, especially with the "new" RAPTOR stat by 538.
    He's the worst player when it comes to RAPTOR as well.

Offensive Raptor: -7.5
    Defensive Raptor: - 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban Linx View Post
    He's the worst player when it comes to RAPTOR as well.

Offensive Raptor: -7.5
    Defensive Raptor: - 1.2
    Fair point, BUT his total is dragged down by his offensive rating. He's closer to about mid pack on defense, still a negative to be sure.

Furthermore, if you look at how much time he spends on the court with Oubre and Wiggins who are also just flat atrocious based on offensive Raptor, they aren't doing the kid any favors.

I'd be holding onto him for at least 4 more seasons when some solid wings can be put around him. Curry's game should age well.

Who could Wiseman bring in at this point that could allow GS to contend? If Towns yes, but Wisemanís value was highest when he was still a pick, and GS should have traded the asset then if they wanted to adopt this strategy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast