Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

GT#52 Mahatma Knicks (25-26) @ Boston Celtics (25-26): Lucky Charms

Not since Bernard King have the Knicks depended so much on one player, General Julius Randle to carry them to the Playoffs. Randle is 0.1 min from being tied with James Harden for averaging the most minutes/game in the NBA. As the Knicks' season draws to a close, every game feels like a playoff elimination game. Throw some salt, fingers crossed, and bon-four-tuna.
    Random Thoughts:

1. Interesting Numbers: Identical payrolls at $190M but Boston Celtics are slightly younger than the Knicks by virtue of only 2 men who are 30 or older (while the Knicks have 3). Yet the Knicks have only $43.3M/$190M committed to next season as opposed to Boston who has $166.6M/190M committed to next season.

2. Player Management: Celtic coach Brad Stevens runs out there 4 starters over 30 min/game as opposed to Knick coach Thibodeau runs out there only 2 starters over 30 min/game. The Celtics have 16 players in double digit minutes/game while the Knicks have 13 players in double digit minutes/game. Essentially both coaches heavily depend on their starters to carry the team (all teams do) but the Knicks solely depend on Julius Randle and RJ Barrett, then a drop off till Bullock who averages the 3rd most minutes.

3. Could General Julius Randle's legs fall off (?): As it stands presently, General Julius Randle is 0.1 mpg from being tied with James Harden for averaging the most minutes per game played: 37 min/game. That's a 5 min/game upswing from the previous season. I'm still a fan of Thibs but the General should not be playing 30 min while the Knicks are up by 40 pts. Randle should not be out there against the Nets back ups while the Knicks are up by 13 pts. This is where Thibs' stubborn stance on giving rookies 5 min/game comes off as being petty. IF Randle blows out his knee, the fortunes of the Knicks franchise will go up in smoke and there will be intense second guessing.

4. Is there more to Kevin Knox and Frank Ntilkina DNP (?): Call me a cynic but I have a feeling that Thibs is basically making a point to GM Scott Perry, Bean Counter Brock Aller that the Knicks really don't have much in terms of elite talent (from the draft) after RJ Barrett. Next tier is Mitchell Robinson and Immanuel Quickley who are serviceable but questionable in terms of starter material. Obi Toppin is fighting to stay relevant. I think, Toppin is Thibs vs Rose. After that, it's a free fall. Now, drafting talent is never a sure thing but what kills me is the fact, this franchise has never addressed the point guard position...and NO, Immanuel Quickley is not point guard material. Fight me.

5. Elfrid Payton is still on this team (?): Time after time since last season, I point out how much of a disappointment this guy has been...going back to his days in Orlando under Perry. Scott Perry's boy has more lives than a cat. Meanwhile Isaiah Thomas signed with the Pelicans for a coupon at Panera Bread. I don't get this franchise. If the Knicks don't want to commit to big contracts, losing assets...fine. I don't understand not doing anything. Can you imagine if the Knicks didn't bother to trade for Derrick Rose and just had Dennis Smith Jr collect DNPs? Foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post

Not since Bernard King have the Knicks depended so much on one player, General Julius Randle to carry them to the Playoffs. Randle is 0.1 min from being tied with James Harden for averaging the most minutes/game in the NBA. As the Knicks' season draws to a close, every game feels like a playoff elimination game. Throw some salt, fingers crossed, and bon-four-tuna.
    Random Thoughts:

1. Interesting Numbers: Identical payrolls at $190M but Boston Celtics are slightly younger than the Knicks by virtue of only 2 men who are 30 or older (while the Knicks have 3). Yet the Knicks have only $43.3M/$190M committed to next season as opposed to Boston who has $166.6M/190M committed to next season.

2. Player Management: Celtic coach Brad Stevens runs out there 4 starters over 30 min/game as opposed to Knick coach Thibodeau runs out there only 2 starters over 30 min/game. The Celtics have 16 players in double digit minutes/game while the Knicks have 13 players in double digit minutes/game. Essentially both coaches heavily depend on their starters to carry the team (all teams do) but the Knicks solely depend on Julius Randle and RJ Barrett, then a drop off till Bullock who averages the 3rd most minutes.

3. Could General Julius Randle's legs fall off (?): As it stands presently, General Julius Randle is 0.1 mpg from being tied with James Harden for averaging the most minutes per game played: 37 min/game. That's a 5 min/game upswing from the previous season. I'm still a fan of Thibs but the General should not be playing 30 min while the Knicks are up by 40 pts. Randle should not be out there against the Nets back ups while the Knicks are up by 13 pts. This is where Thibs' stubborn stance on giving rookies 5 min/game comes off as being petty. IF Randle blows out his knee, the fortunes of the Knicks franchise will go up in smoke and there will be intense second guessing.

4. Is there more to Kevin Knox and Frank Ntilkina DNP (?): Call me a cynic but I have a feeling that Thibs is basically making a point to GM Scott Perry, Bean Counter Brock Aller that the Knicks really don't have much in terms of elite talent (from the draft) after RJ Barrett. Next tier is Mitchell Robinson and Immanuel Quickley who are serviceable but questionable in terms of starter material. Obi Toppin is fighting to stay relevant. I think, Toppin is Thibs vs Rose. After that, it's a free fall. Now, drafting talent is never a sure thing but what kills me is the fact, this franchise has never addressed the point guard position...and NO, Immanuel Quickley is not point guard material. Fight me.

5. Elfrid Payton is still on this team (?): Time after time since last season, I point out how much of a disappointment this guy has been...going back to his days in Orlando under Perry. Scott Perry's boy has more lives than a cat. Meanwhile Isaiah Thomas signed with the Pelicans for a coupon at Panera Bread. I don't get this franchise. If the Knicks don't want to commit to big contracts, losing assets...fine. I don't understand not doing anything. Can you imagine if the Knicks didn't bother to trade for Derrick Rose and just had Dennis Smith Jr collect DNPs? Foolishness.
    Well said Knicks FO is just dumb hired by a dumb owner who are only sticking to FA meetings they're scared of trades and have no clue how to build a team they just want to bring in star player so they can fill in seats and waste the poor guys prime years like Melo.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

well Boston has philly tonight on ESPN so there is that, we have the day off.

so with all the crying of Boston's giving out 3 big salaries, if they lose tonight both teams are tied at 25-26, go figure.

I'm thinking we give the FO a bit of break, you know they didn't mortgage the house to get a player in a trade that will be a FA, hmmm
    they didn't overpay for players that will be FA's either and they didn't make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

I'm not sure about that rumor about Ball, so if you want to roll with it, go for it, but let's see the offers he gets in FA and if Pel's match for the sake of trading him then or 3 months later.

Big, big, big game......

Kemba Walker will play in Tuesday's game vs. the 76ers, but he will sit out Wednesday's matchup with the Knicks.

i'm a bit concerned with Indy now, they are tied with the Knicks in the loss column and play Minny tomorrow and something tells me they won't do what the Knicks did. Hope it they do though lol

i'm actually getting to the point that I want the Knicks to earn their way in, not back in because other teams are simply losing. It's time to prove your for real if that is the case.

Evan Fournier (health and safety protocols) is not expected to return to action before the end of this week, according to Brad Stevens.

It worries me, other teams are resting their players on the second game of a back to back while the Knicks just continue to play the same starters...and with the high minutes of Julius Randle, it's a bit disconcerting.

GT#52 Mahatma Knicks (25-26) @ Boston Celtics (25-26): Lucky Charms

A lot of talk about Randle not being a finisher. He has missed some big shots but I can't really argue much with the look. Their has also been a lot of talk of Randle being tried. He leads the league in mins and leads in 2nd half mins. Maybe he needs a little more 4th quarter rest. There doesn't seem to be a set mark where he returns in the 4th but it feels like the second unit needs to be throwing a shut out for him to get over 3 mins of 4th quarter rest.

We definitely need to not only add scoring but play making/passing. Randleís load is insane. It would be really nice if someone else set up Bully and got him an easy look sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 04-07-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    A lot of talk about Randle not being a finisher. He has missed some big shots but I can't really argue much with the look. Their has also been a lot of talk of Randle being tried. He leads the league in mins and leads in 2nd half mins. Maybe he needs a little more 4th quarter rest. There doesn't seem to be a set mark where he returns in the 4th but it feels like the second unit needs to be throwing a shut out for him to get over 3 mins of 4th quarter rest.

We definitely need to not only add scoring but play making/passing. Randleís load is insane. It would be really nice if someone else set up Bully and got him an easy look sometimes

Heís been pretty bad when itís money time. Only shot heís hit all season is the Philly shot.

https://twitter.com/sbondynydn/statu...067136002?s=21

Whether itís too many minutes or too much of a load to carry as an overmatched #1 idk, but heís not a reliable closer. Not really his fault though, most power players arenít really closers.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Heís been pretty bad when itís money time. Only shot heís hit all season is the Philly shot.

https://twitter.com/sbondynydn/statu...067136002?s=21

Whether itís too many minutes or too much of a load to carry as an overmatched #1 idk, but heís not a reliable closer. Not really his fault though, most power players arenít really closers.
    I really thought the last one was going to go down. I wanted a 3 and we can all nick pick but he got a pretty good look. Iíd like to see the quality of those 7 shots. I feel a lot of them are good looks. Most guys are going to be worse in that situation verses regular game numbers (going against a locked in set D) but 1 of 7 is particularly bad

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Randle has a lot going against him late in games. Much easier to defend him when you can lock in on him for a few possessions. He's also been carrying the team for most games, fatigue late in games has to be an issue. he has no PG, and he's not an in your face shooter. he tends to resort to poor % fadeaways. he's def not a #1 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Randle has a lot going against him late in games. Much easier to defend him when you can lock in on him for a few possessions. He's also been carrying the team for most games, fatigue late in games has to be an issue. he has no PG, and he's not an in your face shooter. he tends to resort to poor % fadeaways. he's def not a #1 guy.
    I think when there is less of a threat to drive late in the clock itís much easier to play him tight and he doesnít shoot well contested. When defenders sag and he can get set and shoot relatively open heís dangerous but thatís not gonna happen when the game is on the line and itís also tougher to get to your spot when the clock is winding down.

Similar to RJ who can shoot well when heís set and in his spot, Randle can do that but once heís off beat just a little bit heís not a good shooter and itís tough to close games that way.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I think when there is less of a threat to drive late in the clock itís much easier to play him tight and he doesnít shoot well contested. When defenders sag and he can get set and shoot relatively open heís dangerous but thatís not gonna happen when the game is on the line and itís also tougher to get to your spot when the clock is winding down.

Similar to RJ who can shoot well when heís set and in his spot, Randle can do that but once heís off beat just a little bit heís not a good shooter and itís tough to close games that way.
    Thatís fair. But thatís also the difference between a #1 guy, and everyone else

Randle is a great player but heís not a superstar. Heís not someone who can carry a team. The Knicks depend a lot on him but heís taken them as far as he can, a .500 team. Donít get me wrong, heís worth keeping but...

This is the worry with a Thibs team. Randle had been averaging 37 min/game and almost tied with James Harden for averaging the most minutes per game. This is worrisome because the risk for a serious injury is much higher as well.

When I think about how Derrick Roseís career as a starter was shortened. Bernard King...etc.

Tristan Thomspon (COVID-protocols, conditioning) will play on Wednesday against the Knicks.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast