Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I thought you were saying "it would be a waste" meaning that the difference between Teddy and Darnold would be negligible. I was just saying that even if they're equally bad, Teddy's attitude has soured the relationship with Rhule/Brady. I was honestly surprised to see Teddy finish the year without being benched.
    He should have been benched during the season because after the season he unfollowed social media when they moved to replace him?

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/...610023936?s=21

Following the trade for Sam Darnold, the #Panthers spoke with QB Teddy Bridgewater and allowed him the opportunity to talk with teams to potentially facilitate a trade, sources say. Carolina is open to Bridgewater returning, but will give him a chance to have a say in his future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    He should have been benched during the season because after the season he unfollowed social media when they moved to replace him?
    No, he should've been benched because he sucks and he outright defied the gameplan (per the coaches) in 3 games that costed us possible wins, AND he tried blaming the coaches for his failure to execute.

Game 1: vs DEN with the chance at a game winning drive he checked down on 2nd down with the clock winding to the 2 minute warning, he hurried up to get another play off which was a bust, so then they were stuck in 4th and long which he checked down again. The coaches were visibly upset when he hurried to the line, and mentioned it in the post game that they wanted to use the 2 minute warning to use a better play on 3rd.

Game 2: vs GB, Teddy tried to QB dive at the goal line on an early down after we marched on their defense; a defender slapped the ball out of his hands resulting in a GB recovery in scoring range. The coaches at half time stated that our offense knows not to QB dive and that they stress not to do it at all, much less in an early down situation.

Game 3: vs MIN, Teddy on 3rd and goal overthrew DJ Moore so bad that Moore sprained his ankle. The play would've sealed the game, instead we kicked a FG and lost when they scored a TD the following drive. Teddy criticized the coaches for calling the play rather than taking blame for missing an easy layup TD. The coaches criticized his piss poor throw and stated that we need to be willing to target downfield.

The Teddy project was a ****ing disaster and it's pretty clear it's time to end it.

I thought you were saying "it would be a waste" meaning that the difference between Teddy and Darnold would be negligible. I was just saying that even if they're equally bad, Teddy's attitude has soured the relationship with Rhule/Brady. I was honestly surprised to see Teddy finish the year without being benched.
    Do you think Darnold can take your team on a deep playoff run? I don't. So if he never does, I'd consider this trade a waste even if he ends up being better than Bridgewater.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Do you think Darnold can take your team on a deep playoff run? I don't. So if he never does, I'd consider this trade a waste even if he ends up being better than Bridgewater.
    No, unless a change of scenery/coaching can unlock his maximum potential and basically make him a brand new QB (i.e. Tannehill). I honestly didn't like him that much as a prospect back when he was drafted.

That said, I think he could maybe be a top 15-20 guy who could appear much better than he is by having a great offense around him. CMC + Moore + Anderson makes for a very QB friendly weapons group, maybe add some OL help or a quality TE and he could basically drive the vehicle that takes us somewhere (like Goff in LAR). Brady basically needs someone who can operate his system and allow him and Rhule to establish an offending philosophy. It's a very friendly system with lots of easy throws and YAC potential. Our defense is honestly going to be what determines if we make playoffs the next two years.

My take is if we get middle of the pack QB play out of this it's a huge win. If we get top 25 QB play on a cheap rookie contract while we get to prolong our franchise QB search I'll say we break even. For the price of a future 2nd, the only way I can really be disappointed with this move is if he's Jimmy Clausen level of terrible.

No, unless a change of scenery/coaching can unlock his maximum potential and basically make him a brand new QB (i.e. Tannehill). I honestly didn't like him that much as a prospect back when he was drafted.

That said, I think he could maybe be a top 15-20 guy who could appear much better than he is by having a great offense around him. CMC + Moore + Anderson makes for a very QB friendly weapons group, maybe add some OL help or a quality TE and he could basically drive the vehicle that takes us somewhere (like Goff in LAR). Brady basically needs someone who can operate his system and allow him and Rhule to establish an offending philosophy. It's a very friendly system with lots of easy throws and YAC potential. Our defense is honestly going to be what determines if we make playoffs the next two years.

My take is if we get middle of the pack QB play out of this it's a huge win. If we get top 25 QB play on a cheap rookie contract while we get to prolong our franchise QB search I'll say we break even. For the price of a future 2nd, the only way I can really be disappointed with this move is if he's Jimmy Clausen level of terrible.
    But the rookie contract is only cheap for 1 more year. The 5th year option for a QB picked in the Top 10 is already not cheap anymore. (Unless we're talking about someone like Patrick Mahomes.) For Darnold it's expected to be around $19 million. I'd say there is a decent chance Darnold is a Panther for only 1 year. And that's worth a 2nd round pick? Eh, I dunno.

I would have Darnold as starter and Bridgewater as a backup...either way Carolina needs to surround Darnold with weapons

But the rookie contract is only cheap for 1 more year. The 5th year option for a QB picked in the Top 10 is already not cheap anymore. (Unless we're talking about someone like Patrick Mahomes.) For Darnold it's expected to be around $19 million. I'd say there is a decent chance Darnold is a Panther for only 1 year. And that's worth a 2nd round pick? Eh, I dunno.
    I'm cool with that though. We literally paid Teddy Shitwater 23M/season (the cheapest multi-year non-rookie deal at the time), so I'd have no problem getting a second year look at Darnold for 19M after paying him only 5M in 2021. A 2 year/26M deal is super low risk for a team with our amount of future cap space. Obviously he can be cut before 2022 and we don't have to pay him his 5th year option (unless injured). I don't think he's likely to be one-and-done unless he's bad enough to get us a top 3 pick or if he gets hurt and a rookie/backup plays well in his place.

But I'm not sure why so many people are hung up on the 2nd. It's a future year 2nd round pick, which is roughly a current year 3rd round pick in value. We're gambling a current year 3rd round value on a starting QB who let's us move on from Teddy and MAAAAYBE turns into something decent. The Carolina Panthers have pissed away 2nd round picks like nobody's business for the last 15 years, so I'm really not torn up on a 2nd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    I would have Darnold as starter and Bridgewater as a backup...either way Carolina needs to surround Darnold with weapons
    Teddy honestly needs to go if anyone is willing to trade. It might make sense to let him stick around a year as backup if we can't pull off any trade, but I can't imagine he'll be good for the locker room if he's expected to be the backup or even compete for the job. Someone will have an injury before the season, so I have to imagine he'll have some level of trade value eventually.

I'm cool with that though. We literally paid Teddy Shitwater 23M/season (the cheapest multi-year non-rookie deal at the time), so I'd have no problem getting a second year look at Darnold for 19M after paying him only 5M in 2021. A 2 year/26M deal is super low risk for a team with our amount of future cap space. Obviously he can be cut before 2022 and we don't have to pay him his 5th year option (unless injured). I don't think he's likely to be one-and-done unless he's bad enough to get us a top 3 pick or if he gets hurt and a rookie/backup plays well in his place.

But I'm not sure why so many people are hung up on the 2nd. It's a future year 2nd round pick, which is roughly a current year 3rd round pick in value. We're gambling a current year 3rd round value on a starting QB who let's us move on from Teddy and MAAAAYBE turns into something decent. The Carolina Panthers have pissed away 2nd round picks like nobody's business for the last 15 years, so I'm really not torn up on a 2nd rounder.
    Well, if you piss away draft picks then none of them would be worth anything.

Trubisky signed for 1 year / 2.5 million. Would you give up a 2nd round pick for him? If Darnold doesn't have some miracle turnaround, he's literally Mitch Trubisky in 2022.

Well, if you piss away draft picks then none of them would be worth anything.

Trubisky signed for 1 year / 2.5 million. Would you give up a 2nd round pick for him? If Darnold doesn't have some miracle turnaround, he's literally Mitch Trubisky in 2022.
    No, because I think they're different scenarios. Trubisky has had a much better chance at success than Darnold ever did. Nagy is miles above Gase, the defense was nasty which meant he could just manage most weeks, and I've seen him miss layups to A-Rob bad enough to make me ill. Maybe there's a chance a change of scenery does him well, but I think I've seen him with enough decent surroundings and still fail miserably.

I'll admit that Darnold could be total trash and maybe we waste a 2nd. But it's fair to say he's had very little help in NYJ and the place is pretty damn toxic. I'm not expecting the type of turn around Tannehill had (I'd be thrilled if that happened) but I can see a scenario where he's good enough to hang onto for several years until we stumble into a better QB situation.

Also while on he topic of Trubisky: yes, I would've been happy with acquiring him for 2.5M in 2021 over running it back with Teddy. Teddy is such a known quantity at this point, he's played for 4 different teams and each time he's the same guy. I'm confident in saying Trubisky won't get any better, but at least the mystery is still there to be solved if he can improve on a new team. I wouldn't have given up a future 2nd for him, but maybe a future 3rd/current 4th.

If you pick up the 5th year option you canít cut him in 2022 for nothing. 5th year options are fully guaranteed. And that decision to pick up is shortly after the draft.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    If you pick up the 5th year option you canít cut him in 2022 for nothing. 5th year options are fully guaranteed. And that decision to pick up is shortly after the draft.
    I thought the 5th year option wasn't guaranteed until the start of that fiscal year (in Darnold's case, March 2022) unless there was an injury? Isn't that what happened with RG3 when the Skins basically refused to play him in year 4 so they wouldn't be on the hook for his 5th year option that they initially agreed to?

I thought the 5th year option wasn't guaranteed until the start of that fiscal year (in Darnold's case, March 2022) unless there was an injury? Isn't that what happened with RG3 when the Skins basically refused to play him in year 4 so they wouldn't be on the hook for his 5th year option that they initially agreed to?
    Donít remember The particulars on RG3. But the option has to be decided by May 3rd. If they pick it up itís fully guaranteed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast