Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I thought the 5th year option wasn't guaranteed until the start of that fiscal year (in Darnold's case, March 2022) unless there was an injury? Isn't that what happened with RG3 when the Skins basically refused to play him in year 4 so they wouldn't be on the hook for his 5th year option that they initially agreed to?
    Rule changes starting with this crop of rookies I think. The decisions made this year are for full guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    If you pick up the 5th year option you canít cut him in 2022 for nothing. 5th year options are fully guaranteed. And that decision to pick up is shortly after the draft.
    No, they are only guaranteed for injury.

Unless the new CBA changed that.

EDIT: It did. Fully guaranteed now.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Rule changes starting with this crop of rookies I think. The decisions made this year are for full guarantees.
    Ah, I didn't even hear about that change. I'm assuming it covers all 5th year contracts and not just the 2022 and beyond ones?

Ah, I didn't even hear about that change. I'm assuming it covers all 5th year contracts and not just the 2022 and beyond ones?
    As far as I can tell itís all.

I donít think it makes much of a difference for Carolina. Theyíre going to invest 2 years in Darnold or why else make the trade. As youíve previously mentioned - 2/$26m is completely reasonable. Darnold is still under 25. Minimal risk. On an annual basis itís well worth the gamble

City of Champions

Starting with the players from 2018 draft, so yeah from this year on it's everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/...610023936?s=21

Following the trade for Sam Darnold, the #Panthers spoke with QB Teddy Bridgewater and allowed him the opportunity to talk with teams to potentially facilitate a trade, sources say. Carolina is open to Bridgewater returning, but will give him a chance to have a say in his future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heís going to go back to the Saints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, because I think they're different scenarios. Trubisky has had a much better chance at success than Darnold ever did. Nagy is miles above Gase, the defense was nasty which meant he could just manage most weeks, and I've seen him miss layups to A-Rob bad enough to make me ill. Maybe there's a chance a change of scenery does him well, but I think I've seen him with enough decent surroundings and still fail miserably.

I'll admit that Darnold could be total trash and maybe we waste a 2nd. But it's fair to say he's had very little help in NYJ and the place is pretty damn toxic. I'm not expecting the type of turn around Tannehill had (I'd be thrilled if that happened) but I can see a scenario where he's good enough to hang onto for several years until we stumble into a better QB situation.
    Exactly -- Trubisky and Darnold are miles apart in what they were afford to work with. That's before you consider the different talent levels as both prospects and currently constructed players. How many players have survived absolute putrid rosters AND coaching? Not many..

2018: Crowell, Bilal Powell, Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Jermain Kearse, and Chris Herndon

2019: Bell, Robby Anderson, Jamison Crowder, the ghost of Demaryius Thomas, and Ryan Griffin

2020: Bell, Frank Gore, Perriman, Jamison Crowder, Denzel Mims, and Chris Herndon

All of these guys didn't even play 75% of the season like Crowell, Mims, Bell, etc.

Gase is one of the worst head coaches in the past 15 years and the metrics back that sediment. Very little motion, pace, situational play calling, or any ability for adjustments. Was a terrible hire when they did it and even worse looking back thinking this shmuck was going to help Darnold in any way.

Darnold's ability to push the ball down the field should match well with the Joe Brady system. You weren't going to land one of the top quarterbacks, 2022 doesn't look nearly as loaded for QB, and there is legit upside for a Tannehill type turnaround here.
    Last edited by Westbrook36; 04-06-2021 at 06:14 PM.

This seems like such a waste for the Panthers. And surely the Jets will waste the draft capital. Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    As far as I can tell itís all.

I donít think it makes much of a difference for Carolina. Theyíre going to invest 2 years in Darnold or why else make the trade. As youíve previously mentioned - 2/$26m is completely reasonable. Darnold is still under 25. Minimal risk. On an annual basis itís well worth the gamble
    I can see this from Carolina thinking.

Joe Brady will be a hot commodity IF Sam Darnold have a good season.

The situation Wilson/Fields will be walking into is night-and-day different from what Darnold walked into.

LaFleur installing that wide-zone offense, play-action heavy offense that has a great track record at making things easier for QBs will help whatever rookie. The WRs we currently have (Corey Davis, Denzel Mims, Crowder, and Cole) aren't terrible. We got the Franchise LT. And we have 21 picks the next two years to add OL help and more Receivers to the core.

Barring a complete organizational failure at drafting if the next QB fails it will be on their shoulders

Late to the party but I love the move for Carolina. Darnold had no help in NY and Gase was a joke. So it'll be great to see what Rhule can do with him. He's better than Teddy for sure.

Darnold is still only 24

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    I would have Darnold as starter and Bridgewater as a backup...either way Carolina needs to surround Darnold with weapons
    If nobody wants to trade for shitwater he will be our 2nd post june 1st cut.

We need O-line worse than weapons, our weapons are pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunuu View Post
    If nobody wants to trade for shitwater he will be our 2nd post june 1st cut.

We need O-line worse than weapons, our weapons are pretty solid.
    It's a shame we didn't retain Samuel, I'd argue we might've had the best weapons in the league in 2020 before CMC got hurt. We could definitely use an upgrade at TE or WR3 now, but definitely OL needs to be the priority.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast