Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    He's for sure an above average hitter but unless his power stroke returns he's not elite, I'll be tempted since we know he has huge raw power and you have to love his versatility, the dude can play all 3 OF positions along with 1B and 3B. His price is probably high and might cost us Waters, as you said, Harris will soon pass him in the depth chart, and I've never trust that Waters swing and miss tendencies will get better in the majors so I won't be mad if his the center piece of the deal. I would have to dig deeper into available bats this deadline to see if Gallo is the best target though.
    MLBTR posted their top 40 likely trade candidates. Trevor Story was the top bat but that's a pipe dream. After that it's Mitch Haniger, Adam Frazier, and David Peralta. Mitch Haniger makes a lot of sense and he's likely cheaper than Gallo but I would rather have Gallo. Haniger was awesome in 2018 but since then he's been injured (some freak injuries) and when he has been on the field he's struggled to get on base. His SLG has been good though.
    2021 Vikings Draft:
    1: Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
    3: Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M
    3: Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina
    3: Wyatt Davis G Ohio State
    3: Patrick Jones III DE Pittsburgh
    4: Kene Nwangwu RB Iowa State
    4: Camryn Bynum S California
    4: Janarius Robinson DE Florida State
    5: Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR Iowa
    5: Zach Davidson TE Central Missouri St.
    6: Jaylen Twyman DT Pittsburgh

Acuna scratched from tonights lineup with lower back tightness, it seems carrying this team on his back has finally taken its toll

I really have to wonder if the Braves pitching coach just plain sucks. Its so weird that our top pitching prospects (outside of Anderson) dominate in the minors but then are brought up and just plain suck. I know its not every one and eventually some of them start figuring something out (like Ynoa, Touki was doing alright etc) and I know some players just can't handle the big leagues but, like I said the guys that are our "top" guys just plain suck when they get the call up.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I really have to wonder if the Braves pitching coach just plain sucks. Its so weird that our top pitching prospects (outside of Anderson) dominate in the minors but then are brought up and just plain suck. I know its not every one and eventually some of them start figuring something out (like Ynoa, Touki was doing alright etc) and I know some players just can't handle the big leagues but, like I said the guys that are our "top" guys just plain suck when they get the call up.
    I think it seems worse because we've had so many young pitchers the last few years. Go back to 2017 and these were the arms in our system (per MLB.com):

2. Kolby Allard
    3. Kyle Wright
    4. Mike Soroka
    5. Ian Anderson
    6. Luiz Gohara
    7. Joey Wentz
    8. Max Fried
    11. Kyle Muller
    13. Touki Toussaint
    16. Patrick Weigel
    18. Bryse Wilson
    20. A.J. Minter
    23. Tucker Davidson
    28. Huascar Ynoa

That's a massive list. 14 pitchers. I read about 70% of BA's top 100 prospects fail to become average players (average = 1.5 WAR). Of this list I would say Soroka, Anderson, Fried, and Minter are hits. Ynoa looks like one but we need to see more. Muller and Davidson are off to a good start. Even if we just use the top 4 guys I mentioned that is 28.5% so we're right in line with the success rate of top 100 players. If Ynoa hits then it's 35.7%. Plus that's 80% of your starting rotation. I think we're doing a good job overall.
    2021 Vikings Draft:
    1: Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
    3: Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M
    3: Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina
    3: Wyatt Davis G Ohio State
    3: Patrick Jones III DE Pittsburgh
    4: Kene Nwangwu RB Iowa State
    4: Camryn Bynum S California
    4: Janarius Robinson DE Florida State
    5: Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR Iowa
    5: Zach Davidson TE Central Missouri St.
    6: Jaylen Twyman DT Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I think it seems worse because we've had so many young pitchers the last few years. Go back to 2017 and these were the arms in our system (per MLB.com):

2. Kolby Allard
    3. Kyle Wright
    4. Mike Soroka
    5. Ian Anderson
    6. Luiz Gohara
    7. Joey Wentz
    8. Max Fried
    11. Kyle Muller
    13. Touki Toussaint
    16. Patrick Weigel
    18. Bryse Wilson
    20. A.J. Minter
    23. Tucker Davidson
    28. Huascar Ynoa

That's a massive list. 14 pitchers. I read about 70% of BA's top 100 prospects fail to become average players (average = 1.5 WAR). Of this list I would say Soroka, Anderson, Fried, and Minter are hits. Ynoa looks like one but we need to see more. Muller and Davidson are off to a good start. Even if we just use the top 4 guys I mentioned that is 28.5% so we're right in line with the success rate of top 100 players. If Ynoa hits then it's 35.7%. Plus that's 80% of your starting rotation. I think we're doing a good job overall.
    Yeah, I think the Braves have done just fine, Allard was a bit weird, I remember when we called him up, his fastball was 87-89 and as soon as we traded him he was up to 94. He probably wasn't healthy at the time and maybe the Braves where anxious to get something out of him (Chris Martin), Gohara had bad habits, nothing the Braves could do there. Wentz was a good prospect but not elite, he had TJ surgery and has struggle so far this year, we probably made a good decision by trading him, most of the other guys are still in the organization and Davidson and Ynoa are promising, Muller seems like a guy that will contribute in some way, I see nothing wrong with our developing department..

Allard has quietly had some success with the Rangers this season and has moved into their rotation. It will be interesting to see if he is able to hold down a starting rotation spot long-term. Folty, on the other hard, is getting hit hard and giving up lots of homers in Texas.

Allard is an interesting one, as he was touted as having the ability to top out at 95MPH when he was drafted but really worked in the low 90s with his fastball during his time in the Braves org. Not sure if the back injury sapped some his velocity or if his pre-draft velocity reports were inflated.

Allard's 4 seam fastball velocity was all the way down to 89.4MPH during the 2018 season but has bounced back a bit since then to 92.4MPH in 2019, 91.5MPH in 2020 and 91.8MPH in 2021:
    https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...r-pitching-mlb

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425