Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    Sanheim and Myers aren't a good pair. They are too soft in front of the net. most of the Flyers D men do a poor job of picking up the open man and tend to get caught watching the puck.
    I have just as much data showing they were a great pair together as you do saying they aren't.

I don't have a clue what the right thing to do with this roster is. But I have a few things I'd like to see.

1st- I'd like to see a bonafide top pairing RHd dman added.

2nd- a mixup in the bottom two is fine. I'm of the belief this teams chance of competing soon relies heavily on 6+5 bouncing back next season. Hagg/morin/ghost/braun seems like too many bodies. Mix it up.

3rd- I want at least one change up front in the top nine. The mix is wrong. Somehow some way this team has 6 forwards producing like top liners and 2 or 3 more producing like 2nd liners. A couple more producing like 3rd liners. It's not a talent issue imo. It's a fit issue. It wouldn't shock me to see one swap make things fit better throughout the lineup.

On top of those three keys to my roster, I'm cleaning out my assistants. All of um. AV gets one more year to figure this out. The rest don't. Especially therien and lappy.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    I don't have a clue what the right thing to do with this roster is. But I have a few things I'd like to see.

1st- I'd like to see a bonafide top pairing RHd dman added.

2nd- a mixup in the bottom two is fine. I'm of the belief this teams chance of competing soon relies heavily on 6+5 bouncing back next season. Hagg/morin/ghost/braun seems like too many bodies. Mix it up.

3rd- I want at least one change up front in the top nine. The mix is wrong. Somehow some way this team has 6 forwards producing like top liners and 2 or 3 more producing like 2nd liners. A couple more producing like 3rd liners. It's not a talent issue imo. It's a fit issue. It wouldn't shock me to see one swap make things fit better throughout the lineup.

On top of those three keys to my roster, I'm cleaning out my assistants. All of um. AV gets one more year to figure this out. The rest don't. Especially therien and lappy.
    I like everything said here ... Iíd go so far as to say ... we need a guy who loves scoring and has a killer instinct, I donít think we have anyone who wants to win every single game ... top 6 goal scoring wing. We need someone who can carry the load of scoring so everyoneís production isnít as under a microscope and couturier doesnít have to be the best player on the ice ... things will flourish if we had someone like that

D needs a top pairing RHD ... Iíd give Sanheim and Myers one more year. Myers was great until he separated his rib / rib issue. We need a vet RHD ... Gudas is what this team needs right now as a 3rd pairing RHD guy ... letís you play a ghost (if not taken), York (who will be in the AHL for a year), or Zamula ... even Hagg ... we need to add someone comparable on the 3rd pairing

... ... that is A LOT of needs.

and that's a loss.

my keys:

-trade/sign for a top pairing guy for provorov. a stable one, not a stop gap. This man has played with scrubs until niskanen came and is back to playing with scrubs. Braun should never be off the 3rd pair, ever. Hagg should never be in the top 4, ever. Hagg-braun should never be a 3rd pair as well, ever.

-sign bernier, reliable vet
    -allison needs to stay
    -fix the 4th line
    -pray that Seattle takes braun or hagg or jvr

lets say seattle takes jvr:

g-couts-farabee
    lindblom-hayes-tk
    laughton-frost-patrick
    paquette-lowry-allison
    nak-laczynski

provorov-X
    sanheim-oleksiak/martinez
    york-myers
    morin-braun

-get rid of one of hagg/braun and ghost.
    -sign oleksiak or Martinez for the bottom pair
    -sign sign lowry and Paquette..guys that can change dynamic and are hard to play against

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    tuch had played 6 games in the NHL.
    haula and kalrsson were 3rd liners coming off a year where they combined for 21 goals and 50 points in 153 games.
    marchessault was a career AHLer, who had 1 good year (where he was -21) on a bad team.
    Even so, Minnesota made a terrible call. tuch was a nice prospect and fletcher essentially gave him away for free to protect other guys. it was a bad move.

Then florida the exact same thing with marchassault and reilly smith.

Ducks ****ed up and gave them theodore when they should've protected him over other players. He was the top d prospect

Marchassault scored 30 goals right before wtf?!?!??! He was not a career ahler lmao

Seattle is going to get some amazing goaltenders like vegas: dreiger, vanicek, khudobin, holtby, etc. But the fwd talent is going to be slim. They are not going to get free marchassault and smith from the same team again ...that was insane. They might be able to luck out on top prospects so that teams can protect other players, but i still think that it will be harder to get top 6 nhl talent that vegas got. My point stands that they might take on a contract like jvr. Vegas did with smith (although it was cheaper). They are going to need to do that in order to get top 6 talent immediately.

tired of this advanced stats ********. If you cant see how ****ing soft sanheim and myers play together you need to stop watching and become a fan of golf or some ****... Our own announcers LAUGHED at how far off sanheim plays when guys are near the net etc. Jesus christ.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    tired of this advanced stats ********. If you cant see how ****ing soft sanheim and myers play together you need to stop watching and become a fan of golf or some ****... Our own announcers LAUGHED at how far off sanheim plays when guys are near the net etc. Jesus christ.
    The flyers have had that same issue in front of the net for over a decade now. I can't fathom it's strictly a personell issue.

I have just as much data showing they were a great pair together as you do saying they aren't.
    Does you data show what they do without the puck, whether they pick up an open man or get caught standing still and watching the play unfold? Does it show whether they clear the porch or not? The Flyers D is too hospitable to their opponents. They are very friendly to play against. No one dreads playing the Flyers.
    Last edited by jc27; 04-16-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    Does you data show what they do without the puck, whether they pick up an open man or get caught standing still and watching the play unfold? Does it show whether they clear the porch or not? The Flyers D is too hospitable to their opponents. They are very friendly to play against. No one dreads playing the Flyers.
    Literally yes. The way they play without the puck directly correlates to their shot metrics, Their expected goals for and against metrics, and literally every other "advanced" stat.

People who play poorly without the puck, have poor advanced stats. It's literally the point of the stats. To find an easier way to help evaluate players.

They aren't the end all be all. They're best used in combination with the eye test. To write them off as useless is a major mistake that is proven year after year If the time is taken to look at the evidence.

Last season, by stats AND the eye test sanheim and myers were great. This season they haven't been. That's my point.

At this point, anyone with even a slight injury should be shut down for the year. Bring up anyone you don't need to protect and play them. Can't hurt to see what we have. Allison doesn't look out of place, maybe some of the others can match his play.

Iím ready for something new and fresh. We know this team wonít win a cup, it is time to change the names on the back of the jerseys. G and Couturier are the only ones who I care stay to build a bridge to the next group.

We are in big trouble over the next 3 years. We might see day light again in 2026.
    i can't say you're wrong, but i just can't endorse any plan where making the playoffs is off the table for 3ish years.

i think the best plan for this offseason is to be stubborn and pretend like this season didn't happen. go out and find a defenseman who can approximate what niskanen used to do, and hope that will magically solve everything that went wrong.

because the alternatives i see this summer are either trading the veterans who played well to build around the prospects who didn't; or trading the prospects whose value is down to bolster a group of veterans that have never been good enough anyway. neither one of those is acceptable, imo.

new goalie comes in and gives up 6... still wanna blame Hart? Elliot/hart have gotten ****ed.

Literally yes. The way they play without the puck directly correlates to their shot metrics, Their expected goals for and against metrics, and literally every other "advanced" stat.

People who play poorly without the puck, have poor advanced stats. It's literally the point of the stats. To find an easier way to help evaluate players.

They aren't the end all be all. They're best used in combination with the eye test. To write them off as useless is a major mistake that is proven year after year If the time is taken to look at the evidence.

Last season, by stats AND the eye test sanheim and myers were great. This season they haven't been. That's my point.
    No, advanced stats do not show how the player plays without the puck, whether they get caught just watching the play or whether they pick up an open man. The Flyers D often gets caught watching the play. They do a poor job of clearing the front of the net.
    Last edited by jc27; 04-18-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast