Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    Great comeback win last night. Is anyone glad that we resigned Turner? He lost some tonnage and is playing great. Not so much on defense but his bat speed is incredible.

Dodgers are like "we can beat you on any given night with a Bellinger tied behind our backs"
    Dude, JT is a notoriously slow starter when it comes to power, but heís been killing it. 30-40 homers is not out of the question if heís already in mid-season form.
    The Tweeter Handle: @DSchneider_05

Padres throwing the ball around that inning...you hate to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fernando Testis Jr. with the free gift.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Roberts just cost us the game with a defensive shift on Wil Myers' single that should have been a GIDP under normal positioning.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 04-17-2021 at 01:25 AM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Clutch hit by Turner.

Future Hall of Shamers:

Even though we won, I really hate the extra-inning baserunner rule.

Future Hall of Shamers:

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Roberts just cost us the game with a defensive shift on Wil Myers' single that should have been a GIDP under normal positioning.

So, I have mixed feelings on this. Iím not a fan of such aggressive shifts in the sport as a whole. I think itís part of a number of changes that have stagnated the odds of finesse hitters and speedsters to succeed without fairly significant power. Sure, there are no more wasted outs from a Raphael Belliard, but there are also no more Kenny Loftons, Brett Butlers, or even Tony Gwynns (and even still, Iím conflicted because present day players should learn to beat the shift and/or the basic skill of bunting!)

Still, while itís allowed, I canít fault those front offices whoíve figured out that the sport on the whole is a game of angles and odds. This FO implemented aggressive shifts when it came onboard.

From 2010 - 2015 the Dodgers finished better than 10th in opponents BABIP one time (8th).

Since 2016, the Dodgers have finished a year worse than second in opponents BABIP only once (6th).

Once that strategy is implemented, you play the odds. It canít be a matter of sometimes playing the odds and sometimes playing to gut feeling; that would be a recipe for disaster.

When the shift does work, usually it looks like a routine grounder or fly out. When it doesnít work, we see it and itís frustrating. Still, thereís no question that the team is winning the shifts far more often than not.

What a series so far fellas! CK with another 6 scoreless, team shuts out the Pads despite a taxed pen and Jurickson Profarís cheap hack job to extend CK in the 4th.

So far this series is showing how truly hard it is going to be to beat this team, not just over the course of a series, but just 1 game is a mountain.

On one side of the ball, the team is hitting like theyíre all going to the hall of fame, and thatís without our cleanup hitter! And theyíre so damn diverse, they have multiple players that can moves all over the field for double switches or just to keep players fresh. JT is hitting like itís October in April. This is the guy we always knew could win an MVP if he could stay healthy and get started early... so far so good.

On the other side, you have to get through 5 starters that are bona fide aces or number twos, then get to a bullpen full of additional starter level pitchers and high leverage relievers. Then, even when that pen is taxed and we have to go to less experienced players to close, you hit a line drive that could tie the game and, instead, it ends on a web gem by a Gold Glover.

13-2 fellas - thatís an .867 W%. Let that simmer for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    So, I have mixed feelings on this. Iím not a fan of such aggressive shifts in the sport as a whole. I think itís part of a number of changes that have stagnated the odds of finesse hitters and speedsters to succeed without fairly significant power. Sure, there are no more wasted outs from a Raphael Belliard, but there are also no more Kenny Loftons, Brett Butlers, or even Tony Gwynns (and even still, Iím conflicted because present day players should learn to beat the shift and/or the basic skill of bunting!)

Still, while itís allowed, I canít fault those front offices whoíve figured out that the sport on the whole is a game of angles and odds. This FO implemented aggressive shifts when it came onboard.

From 2010 - 2015 the Dodgers finished better than 10th in opponents BABIP one time (8th).

Since 2016, the Dodgers have finished a year worse than second in opponents BABIP only once (6th).

Once that strategy is implemented, you play the odds. It canít be a matter of sometimes playing the odds and sometimes playing to gut feeling; that would be a recipe for disaster.

When the shift does work, usually it looks like a routine grounder or fly out. When it doesnít work, we see it and itís frustrating. Still, thereís no question that the team is winning the shifts far more often than not.
    It sure is frustrating when it doesn't work. It occurred again during the Hosmer single in the ninth inning.

What do you think about Roberts going with Graterol in today's game, who is just coming off the DL, while we are leading in a 2-1 game? He sure looked rusty.

Future Hall of Shamers:

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    It sure is frustrating when it doesn't work. It occurred again during the Hosmer single in the ninth inning.

What do you think about Roberts going with Graterol in today's game, who is just coming off the DL, while we are leading in a 2-1 game? He sure looked rusty.
    To the first part, for sure. When we see it show up in big spots, from a qualitative standpoint, it seems like horse **** and, to your point, itís happened more frequently early in this year than is typical. I can even provide some quantity to back the observation by saying so far this year, the Dodgers are actually 6th in in the league in Opponent's BABIP which, still isnít bad, but can be reflective of the observations weíve made. However, itís a small sample size and plays like that popping up early have a larger impact. Still, unless opposing players start taking a more finesse approach to swinging the bat, I do believe things will even out and weíll be back at the top of the league.

As far as using Graterol, I didnít see a problem with it. I think we placed a bit of stress on the BP during this series starting with May not making it through 5 against the Rockies. With May going again today, I Think Dave thought it might be a good idea to give our higher leverage guys a rest day as opposed to getting them up for three more yet again. I think Dave has confidence in Graterol and this was an opportunity to get him work regardless of the situation; sure it was a one-run game, but he started the 7th with a clean slate. And still, if Seager doesnít make an errant throw in the 9th, weíre likely playing in extras instead of taking the L.

Lots of things can be pointed to in a loss, but when it comes down to it, we took 2 of 3 on the road against the supposed 1B best team in baseball, without our cleanup hitter, and are off to a 13-3 start. We could point to shifting as being a reason for losing a game, but itís also likely more a contributor to the wins than a detriment.

First back to back regular season losses since Sept 12 of last year. We are 24-7 in the regular season over that span (.774)

Dude, JT is a notoriously slow starter when it comes to power, but heís been killing it. 30-40 homers is not out of the question if heís already in mid-season form.
    Agreed.

I've noticed a lot of pitchers are using that identical grip now for their curves. Maybe they have been for years and I've just noticed it on my new tv LOL.

I've noticed a lot of pitchers are using that identical grip now for their curves. Maybe they have been for years and I've just noticed it on my new tv LOL.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast