Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 39 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    He's trying to throw the ball really hard which brings me back to my original point on Pearson. He's a thrower, not a pitcher.
    Shame. If he doesnít make it then thatís an entire draft out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Shame. If he doesnít make it then thatís an entire draft out the window.
    Thatís not true. Iím sure Atkins got some fringe MLBers in that draft that are worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Terrible start by Pearson.

They showed his form and by the time he releases the ball, he's not looking at the plate. How does that not get fixed by minor league coaches?
    Easy. This was his first MLB start after only having one start with the Bison against one of the best hitting teams in the AL. I wasn't expecting much in this start from Pearson and he didn't disappoint. The Jays should have left him stay in AAA until he pitched at least 2-3 games before rushing him. However, the state of our injured pitching took that out of the equation. At this point in his conditioning, I'd rather have given the start to Zeuch and let him shake out the rust in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Thatís not true. Iím sure Atkins got some fringe MLBers in that draft that are worth mentioning.
    Maybe of the Tim Mayza or SRF variety

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Terrible start by Pearson.

They showed his form and by the time he releases the ball, he's not looking at the plate. How does that not get fixed by minor league coaches?
    I did a frame by frame comp between this start and his dominant relief appearance vs the Rays in the post season. His mechanics look exactly the same, he does have a violent finish (like most hard throwers) but both look the same, his average FB velocity is down though

vs Rays 98.1
    vs Astros 95.7

That's a considerable difference. Relief vs starting can account for some of that difference but not all of it. Maybe they asked him to dial it back a bit (?) doubt it/maybe that messed him up(?). Let's see what he does in his next start.

Every time I see him pitch it reminds me of the struggles that Glasnow went through when he was with the Pirates
    Last edited by hanton; 05-10-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Lack of starting pitching is killing us right now. Calling up Pearson this soon after injury/after he had a mediocre start with the Bisons was a mistake, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Easy. This was his first MLB start after only having one start with the Bison against one of the best hitting teams in the AL. I wasn't expecting much in this start from Pearson and he didn't disappoint. The Jays should have left him stay in AAA until he pitched at least 2-3 games before rushing him. However, the state of our injured pitching took that out of the equation. At this point in his conditioning, I'd rather have given the start to Zeuch and let him shake out the rust in AAA.
    I probably would have let him stay in AAA more as well if he needed to shaoe of the rust.

I would sign Liriano but thats jusd me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post

Yes exactly that. Failed specs that had value at one point and should have been cashed in on while they had value to supplement the ML club. 100%.

I hope Pearson works out because re-working a scouting staff that did very well the previous draft, and then completely flopping in the subsequent draft would be a major black mark on Atkins tenure with the jays.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    I did a frame by frame comp between this start and his dominant relief appearance vs the Rays in the post season. His mechanics look exactly the same, he does have a violent finish (like most hard throwers) but both look the same, his average FB velocity is down though

vs Rays 98.1
    vs Astros 95.7

That's a considerable difference. Relief vs starting can account for some of that difference but not all of it. Maybe they asked him to dial it back a bit (?) doubt it/maybe that messed him up(?). Let's see what he does in his next start.

Every time I see him pitch it reminds me of the struggles that Glasnow went through when he was with the Pirates
    2.5ish mph seems exactly like the difference between starting/relieving to me.

2.5ish mph seems exactly like the difference between starting/relieving to me.
    Or not having spring training and a month of games. He will need at least a 2-3 more starts to actually get into game shape. Having to pitch vs the Astros probably did him no favours either, tomorrow vs the Braves would have made more sense for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Those are high quality players.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Pompey signs with Angels.

Glad to see him get another chance after his concussion history.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Or not having spring training and a month of games. He will need at least a 2-3 more starts to actually get into game shape. Having to pitch vs the Astros probably did him no favours either, tomorrow vs the Braves would have made more sense for him.
    fine line between reality and excuses. Just saying it's time for him to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    fine line between reality and excuses. Just saying it's time for him to show up.
    It is, but he hasn't been stretched out yet, that's on management. He had one start since February I believe. There's another kid that looks to be ready, let him come up and pitch.

Page 39 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast