Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Also, in a discussion about Ainge not being aggressive enough, saying “well nobody called Boston to trade for their assets” is further confirmation of his lack of aggressiveness. Being aggressive is not waiting for your phone to ring...
    Again - literally never said that.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Lol same.
    I get players. You get invested and then watch them regularly. Seeing players you are invested in through rose colored glasses can happen to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

In all seriousness, what made Danny Ainge such a great GM was his aggressiveness.

When KG was reluctant to go to Boston, Ainge went out and aggressively traded for Ray Allen to entice KG to want to go to Boston.

When he saw that the Celtics Big 3 were not going to get it done, he aggressively traded them before their value fell to nothing.

When he saw that the Celtics weren't going to beat Bron with Isaiah Thomas as the top guy, he aggressively went out and traded for Kyrie instead.

But after that he started to become reactive instead of proactive.

When it became apparent Kyrie may not stay in Boston, instead of either trading Kyrie or trading for another superstar to entice Kyrie to stay (as he did with KG), he stood pat and Kyrie left for nothing.

He let Horford walk, which given Horford's production wasn't a bad move, but the old aggressive Ainge probably would have traded him for something prior to letting him walk.

He did get Kemba, but that was a reactive move instead of a proactive one. He made the best of Hayward leaving to Charlotte, but it's not like that would have been his first choice or preference.

Throughout all that, he did not want to give up what it would take to bring in one of the half dozen superstars that hit the market the past few years.

Ainge went from a very aggressive proactive GM to a very passive, reactive one. The old, aggressive Ainge was one of, if not the best GMs in the league. The new reactive one, while still a good GM, is definitely not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    In all seriousness, what made Danny Ainge such a great GM was his aggressiveness.

When KG was reluctant to go to Boston, Ainge went out and aggressively traded for Ray Allen to entice KG to want to go to Boston.

When he saw that the Celtics Big 3 were not going to get it done, he aggressively traded them before their value fell to nothing.

When he saw that the Celtics weren't going to beat Bron with Isaiah Thomas as the top guy, he aggressively went out and traded for Kyrie instead.

But after that he started to become reactive instead of proactive.

When it became apparent Kyrie may not stay in Boston, instead of either trading Kyrie or trading for another superstar to entice Kyrie to stay (as he did with KG), he stood pat and Kyrie left for nothing.

He let Horford walk, which given Horford's production wasn't a bad move, but the old aggressive Ainge probably would have traded him for something prior to letting him walk.

He did get Kemba, but that was a reactive move instead of a proactive one. He made the best of Hayward leaving to Charlotte, but it's not like that would have been his first choice or preference.

Throughout all that, he did not want to give up what it would take to bring in one of the half dozen superstars that hit the market the past few years.

Ainge went from a very aggressive proactive GM to a very passive, reactive one. The old, aggressive Ainge was one of, if not the best GMs in the league. The new reactive one, while still a good GM, is definitely not as good.
    This is pretty accurate and a reasonable take. The only difference between the 2 eras was KG was open minded and winning was really his only goal. He was leery of coming to Boston. Luckily Danny had Pierce who was a childhood friend who also got in his ear. KG still said he didn’t think he and Pierce were enough. And you’re right Danny went out and got Allen to seal the deal.

Perfect storm really. But to his credit Danny made it happen.

Kyrie had already won. Kyrie when he came to Boston just wanted to be anywhere but Cleveland. And due to the time of the offseason there weren’t many suitors so he accepted it. Hayward getting hurt game 1 doomed it from the start. Not only was that a massive loss talent wise. But Ainge now had a $30mil contract with zero trade value. By this time Butler and PG already had been dealt. They were competitive still so he laid his hopes on the development in Tatum and Brown. Then Kyrie gets hurt for the playoffs. They go in an incredible run anyways.

At that point I agree. Kyrie should have been dealt. Preferably for Kawhi.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I get players. You get invested and then watch them regularly. Seeing players you are invested in through rose colored glasses can happen to anyone.
    Mayb he just really loved Danny as a player and now that's why he defends him as an executive [emoji23]

I think its a combination of things...

Over the last few years:

1. They have definitely not made the most of the trove of draft picks they had. Plain and simple, they messed that up.

2. A lot unfortunate things...Kyrie trade not working out, hayward injury first game in, Kemba's knee etc etc

This year:

1. Health. They have not had the team together, at really any point this season. Kemba in and out, Smart missing a month, Tatum Covid, TT health and safety. Along with making a few trades at the deadline, this team has not had their roster for any amount of time on the court together.

2. Stevens. He is a hell of a coach, but to me..something is just off.

3. Just a weird year, alot of teams are being pretty uncharacteristic. ( not an excuse, Celtics have been way under performing regardless).

However, they still have 2 premiere young wings and a center in Rob Williams that has appeared to finally put it together a bit. Still a lot to see unfold with how they all develop between Williams, Langford, Nesmith. Fournier has been a nice addition to solve some of our shooting/bench woes.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Oh my:

https://twitter.com/gary_tanguay/sta...126990848?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tanguay is a turd

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Tanguay is a turd
    Lol do what about all the fans in his comments agreeing?

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Lol do what about all the fans in his comments agreeing?

It’s long been known the general Boston fan base are ridiculous. And this is coming from a Boston fan (born and raised) but now living in NY. I have far more respect for the NY fans and media. It’s a complete 180 from Boston. Boston’s fan base is generally uneducated, loyal to the name Boston only, and their general feelings sway with any slight breeze based on the events solely on what’s happening in the moment.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789