Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    It's debatable where Stevens is on the coach rankings compared to guys like Nurse and Spoelstra. As far as the team, the Celtics basically whiffed in their pursuit of a point guard and center.
    Kemba has had too many injuries and looks to be not worth his contract. Boston made a mistake not trading Hayward for Turner, a defensive ace who would have fit great with their timeline. Thompson was a waste of cap space.
    At this point, I feel like the Celtics should explore a swap of Walker to Houston for Wall. Tillman's cheap, so maybe he'll swap Wall straight up for Walker to save the $18 million difference on the last two years of their contracts.
    Despite his limitations, Wall is a better floor general and defender for Stevens' switching schemes. There's the torn Achilles, but Wall's been healthier this season than Walker, who it doesn't seem is going to get past this arthritis.
    I'm sure Westbrook will eventually be available to...
    Wall would be worse than Kemba here.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    taking Olynyk over Giannis also didn't help.
    Danny hasnít drafted great save for the top 5 but letís not act like Giannis was a slam dunk draft pick that Danny just skipped over. He was taken mid first - half the league passed him up.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    This is a big part of it, Boston is a cautionary tale of being too conservative at the GM level.
    In what way?

Horford was a good pass. Heís declined extremely quickly and you could see it his last year in Boston. That contract is toxic.

I do place blame on Danny for the Kyrie situation. Not for trading for him - that was the right move that just didnít work out. But the minute Kyrie uncommitted to Boston - Danny shouldíve been on the phone dealing him away.

Hayward could have turned out better obviously. But Danny also didnít have complete control over that situation. We donít know all the details.

Danny hasnít drafted well outside the top 5. Thatís been his biggest issue.

I also just donít get his vision with this current roster. Iíve been on board with his moves up until this past offseason. Weíve had a major need for off ball shooting for a while and he hasnít really tried to even bring a single guy in to help that need. Outside of drafting Nesmith who hasnít looked great. Idk if thatís Danny or Stevens influence though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I know I might be too stat heavy at times, but like come on Wall has a sub .500 ts% right now.

They need continuity. Itís been to much of a card shuffle every year. Like a revolving door. Give these guys a solid supporting cast and give them some time to develop chemistry. Itís not like their missing core talent.

In what way?

Horford was a good pass. Heís declined extremely quickly and you could see it his last year in Boston. That contract is toxic.

I do place blame on Danny for the Kyrie situation. Not for trading for him - that was the right move that just didnít work out. But the minute Kyrie uncommitted to Boston - Danny shouldíve been on the phone dealing him away.

Hayward could have turned out better obviously. But Danny also didnít have complete control over that situation. We donít know all the details.

Danny hasnít drafted well outside the top 5. Thatís been his biggest issue.

I also just donít get his vision with this current roster. Iíve been on board with his moves up until this past offseason. Weíve had a major need for off ball shooting for a while and he hasnít really tried to even bring a single guy in to help that need. Outside of drafting Nesmith who hasnít looked great. Idk if thatís Danny or Stevens influence though.
    In the way that Boston was allegedly working deals for Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, James Harden, and others and didn't trade for any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    In the way that Boston was allegedly working deals for Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, James Harden, and others and didn't trade for any of them.
    I donít know that you can lay that all on Danny being too conservative.

Anthony Davis publicly stated he wouldnít resign here, so trading for him as a 1 year rental would be way too aggressive and cost far too much. That would have been an awful move

Paul George - though not as public. The rumors were Danny offered a better package but Indy was unwilling to deal him within the conference. Thatís outside of Dannyís control if true.

Kawhi Leonard is one we just donít know. There were rumors Kyrie couldíve been in the trade for him or Jaylen Brown. Also rumors that Pop didnít want Kyrie. But if we could have had him for Brown then yea, thatís a legitimate point. Who knows though

James Harden - Iím happy we didnít trade for him. He never would have been happy here. And idk who we could have possibly traded to get him. Surely it wouldíve cost Brown or Tatum and I would not have done that.

Danny has made aggressive moves. They just havenít panned out. He signed Hayward and Horford, both All Stars. He traded for Kyrie and Kemba, also All Stars. He traded the #1 pick for Tatum. He put the full court press on KD in FA and was the runner up. I mean idk if you can really say those moves are conservative- they just didnít pan out as expected.

Anthony Davis publicly stated he wouldnít resign here, so trading for him as a 1 year rental would be way too aggressive and cost far too much. That would have been an awful move

Paul George - though not as public. The rumors were Danny offered a better package but Indy was unwilling to deal him within the conference. Thatís outside of Dannyís control if true.

Kawhi Leonard is one we just donít know. There were rumors Kyrie couldíve been in the trade for him or Jaylen Brown. Also rumors that Pop didnít want Kyrie. But if we could have had him for Brown then yea, thatís a legitimate point. Who knows though

James Harden - Iím happy we didnít trade for him. He never would have been happy here. And idk who we could have possibly traded to get him. Surely it wouldíve cost Brown or Tatum and I would not have done that.

Danny has made aggressive moves. They just havenít panned out. He signed Hayward and Horford, both All Stars. He traded for Kyrie and Kemba, also All Stars. He traded the #1 pick for Tatum. He put the full court press on KD in FA and was the runner up. I mean idk if you can really say those moves are conservative- they just didnít pan out as expected.
    Those are not aggressive moves. Signing guys into cap space isn't aggressive, that is literally the GM's job.

Now, I applaud him for being able to bring in guys, but it is far from aggressive.

Drafting 27 guys in the past 7 drafts isn't aggressive. That is drafting almost 4 guys per draft, consolidate assets. Take a chance and trade for a couple of Kawhi, Butler, Davis, Harden, Paul George.

In 2018-19 they had Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Rozier, Marcus Morris, Smart, Tatum, and Brown. Just imagine how much better that unit could be going forward if they don't lose 5 of their rotation pieces for basically nothing.

The fact of the matter is after that title in 2008, Danny got comfortable. After fleecing the Nets, he got even more comfortable, and never capitalized on the assets he had at his disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Those are not aggressive moves. Signing guys into cap space isn't aggressive, that is literally the GM's job.

Now, I applaud him for being able to bring in guys, but it is far from aggressive.

Drafting 27 guys in the past 7 drafts isn't aggressive. That is drafting almost 4 guys per draft, consolidate assets. Take a chance and trade for a couple of Kawhi, Butler, Davis, Harden, Paul George.

In 2018-19 they had Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Rozier, Marcus Morris, Smart, Tatum, and Brown. Just imagine how much better that unit could be going forward if they don't lose 5 of their rotation pieces for basically nothing.

The fact of the matter is after that title in 2008, Danny got comfortable. After fleecing the Nets, he got even more comfortable, and never capitalized on the assets he had at his disposal.
    Who were they trading for those guys? Itís easy to say he could have without considering costs. This isnít NBA2K.

How many GMís acquired 4 All Stars in a span of 2-3 years? Not many. Thatís agressive by definition.

City of Champions

Who were they trading for those guys? Itís easy to say he could have without considering costs. This isnít NBA2K.

How many GMís acquired 4 All Stars in a span of 2-3 years? Not many. Thatís agressive by definition.
    No, it's really not. Drafting 4 guys per draft is the most conservative thing a GM can do over a 7 year span.

Signing mid tier free agents from small markets is cool, it's more than some teams/GMs can boast but losing them for nothing makes the first part irrelevant. Losing 5 key rotation pieces for nothing but an old overpaid dude with degenerative knees is one of the most horrible conservative approaches in sports.

Agreed.

Danny hasnít drafted great save for the top 5 but letís not act like Giannis was a slam dunk draft pick that Danny just skipped over. He was taken mid first - half the league passed him up.
    I know, I'm just still bitter over it because I hated the Olynyk aka Real Life Goofy pick and wanted Giannis back then.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVar Ball View Post
    They have the 2nd best coach in the league (behind Pop) in Brad Stevens, and the best executive in the league in Danny Ďthe man!í Ainge.

Why are they struggling so much this season?!
    Brad Stevens is a good coach. Not the second best. I'll take Budenholzer or Spo. Either way that's an opinion.

But Danny Ainge is overrated. He failed to turn all those assets he acquired into something meaningful. I bet plenty of other GMs would have turned it into something special.

nobody is arguing 4.... 1 would have been nice out of KL/Harden/AD etc... When it comes down to it he wont make a trade unless he thinks he can win it 90-10 period. He is nutless.

fournier...

So trading Brown for a half season rental of Kawhi (he was always going to LA) is cool but giving him up as the centerpiece for Harden (whoís got a few more years on his contract) is something you didnít want? Have fun sniffing the butt of the team that Ainge fleeced all those years ago after he wasted what he fleeced. Itís funny that the Nets got back to the Finals before Boston did (assuming they all get healthy this year).

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast