Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 227
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I disagree. Selfishness is only thinking of yourself and thinking of yourself over others. Greed is wanting more and not being happy with what you have. People can be selfish and not be greedy.

    No, the point is the distinction.
    The distinction is irrelevant. And this is yet another instance of you defending the super wealthy. “How DARE you call them greedy!”

    I would say the wealthiest person on earth doing everything he can to ensure his employees do not request more money and not sharing any of his earnings with them is the very definition of greed.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,122
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The distinction is irrelevant. And this is yet another instance of you defending the super wealthy. “How DARE you call them greedy!”

    I would say the wealthiest person on earth doing everything he can to ensure his employees do not request more money and not sharing any of his earnings with them is the very definition of greed.
    The distinction between two words that have different meanings isn't irrelevant. Again, I'm not defending them, I'm saying that they are not all greedy. I'm generally against generalizations.

    I agree that Amazon is trying to protect their system ... I don't know that the order came from Bezos. That said, I think Bezos is driven by a need for power and winning over pretty much anything else even to going to extreme lengths to do so.

    I think something we definitely disagree on is that I generally fight back on blanket statements and you really like them. And I fight back on assumptions and you really like them.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The distinction between two words that have different meanings isn't irrelevant. Again, I'm not defending them, I'm saying that they are not all greedy. I'm generally against generalizations.

    I agree that Amazon is trying to protect their system ... I don't know that the order came from Bezos. That said, I think Bezos is driven by a need for power and winning over pretty much anything else even to going to extreme lengths to do so.

    I think something we definitely disagree on is that I generally fight back on blanket statements and you really like them. And I fight back on assumptions and you really like them.
    They have very similar meanings, they are literally synonyms according to thesaurus.com. It’s irrelevant.

    No, where we disagree is you see me make a generalized statement and believe I’m meaning it as an absolute. It must be exhausting to be your friend. Anytime someone says “Rhodes Scholars are smart” you immediately chime in “well not 100% are smart”. “That restaurants food is good” “well, not every food item on their menu is good”. “Soldiers are brave”, “well not every Soldier is brave”.

    It’s pedantic, and annoying.
    Last edited by valade16; 04-01-2021 at 11:46 AM.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    39,713
    EDIT: Scoots, Do you believe that the super wealthy are in general, greedy? Or more greedy than the average person?
    Last edited by valade16; 04-01-2021 at 11:54 AM.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,122
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    EDIT: Scoots, Do you believe that the super wealthy are in general, greedy? Or more greedy than the average person?
    Probably. I think most see life as a competition and they want to win by a scoreboard of their choosing, whatever it is, and that often means getting more of whatever it is. Bill Gates, generally, was not, I think, a greedy person. His company certainly did some seriously shady anti-competitive things but I don't think they were specifically driven by Gates' greed. When he got out he spent his money and his influence to get other super wealthy people to give money away and to pledge to give most of their money away before they died. He couldn't do that if the thing driving all those people was mainly greed.

    I think the super wealthy are in general driven to a level that is unhealthy for society, and I certainly think they are more greedy than the average person, but I don't think that is the main driving factor in their choices.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,122
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    They have very similar meanings, they are literally synonyms according to thesaurus.com. It’s irrelevant.

    No, where we disagree is you see me make a generalized statement and believe I’m meaning it as an absolute. It must be exhausting to be your friend. Anytime someone says “Rhodes Scholars are smart” you immediately chime in “well not 100% are smart”. “That restaurants food is good” “well, not every food item on their menu is good”. “Soldiers are brave”, “well not every Soldier is brave”.

    It’s pedantic, and annoying.
    Hehe, so you make a blanket statement (which you apparently don't actually mean) and I push back and you make blanket assumptions of why I'm pushing back (despite that assumption being wrong).

    We should both probably stop responding to each others foibles ... or at least stop responding to the responses on our foibles.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Hehe, so you make a blanket statement (which you apparently don't actually mean) and I push back and you make blanket assumptions of why I'm pushing back (despite that assumption being wrong).

    We should both probably stop responding to each others foibles ... or at least stop responding to the responses on our foibles.
    No, I made a blanket generalized statement that no reasonable person would interpret as being an absolute (which I definitely do actually mean) and you pushed back (which you apparently actually agreed with me).

    You literally just said you agreed the super wealthy are greedier than the average person and "probably" greedy, yet you got bent out of shape when I called them greedy.

    Perhaps you should just use common sense and realize when someone makes a statement in a post on a sports site, they don't mean it as an irrefutable absolute and more of a generality.

    If I said North Koreans are malnourished would you pushback because not every North Korean is malnourished, or would you understand that I'm talking in general and not quite literally 100%? Use that same logic from now on and you'll get into far less pedantic inanities.
    Last edited by valade16; 04-01-2021 at 12:46 PM.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,122
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    No, I made a blanket generalized statement that no reasonable person would interpret as being an absolute (which I definitely do actually mean) and you pushed back (which you apparently actually agreed with me).

    You literally just said you agreed the super wealthy are greedier than the average person and "probably" greedy, yet you got bent out of shape when I called them greedy.

    Perhaps you should just use common sense and realize when someone makes a statement in a post on a sports site, they don't mean it as an irrefutable absolute and more of a generality.

    If I said North Koreans are malnourished would you pushback because not every North Korean is malnourished, or would you understand that I'm talking in general and not quite literally 100%? Use that same logic from now on and you'll get into far less pedantic inanities.
    I also said that I don't think their main driving factor is greed.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I also said that I don't think their main driving factor is greed.
    I don't care if it's their main driving factor, it's a large enough one it's a problem. Even what you think their main driving factor is (that they accumulate wealth as a competition to win) creates the same problem as greed: they accumulate all the wealth at the expense of everyone else.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,122
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I don't care if it's their main driving factor, it's a large enough one it's a problem. Even what you think their main driving factor is (that they accumulate wealth as a competition to win) creates the same problem as greed: they accumulate all the wealth at the expense of everyone else.
    I think the tendency of psychopaths to get to positions of power is a bigger issue. Everybody has some greed ... if it's not a main factor driving your decisions does it really matter?

    But I am for legislation that will limit the amount of money they can get.

    Also, the talk of billionaires generally ignores the more problematic billionaires ... the ones who get the money by just moving money from one place to another and taking some along the way. They don't make anything or even deliver a service to the general public.
    Last edited by Scoots; 04-01-2021 at 02:05 PM.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    39,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think the tendency of psychopaths to get to positions of power is a bigger issue. Everybody has some greed ... if it's not a main factor driving your decisions does it really matter?

    But I am for legislation that will limit the amount of money they can get.

    Also, the talk of billionaires generally ignores the more problematic billionaires ... the ones who get the money by just moving money from one place to another and taking some along the way. They don't make anything or even deliver a service to the general public.
    I disagree that it's not a main driving factor in their decisions. The definition of greed is an "intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food." (Side Note: how about that, selfish is literally in the definition of the word).

    It seems you are explaining exactly that (for what is an intense desire for wealth as part of a measurement of achievement in a competition but greed?) but trying to ascribe an end result identical to the effect of greed as anything but greed.

    It is very odd.

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3,836
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I’ve made very few posts about it. I did think it was an interesting union busting tactic and I related their PR stunt to false advertising. I’m sorry you don’t find it interesting.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In what way are fake reviews a *union busting tactic*

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    56,503
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    In what way are fake reviews a *union busting tactic*
    https://gizmodo.com/theres-something...ter-1846572212

    Here is the link from the first post


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    In what way are fake reviews a *union busting tactic*
    For someone who really harps on the nefarious and overreaching impact media has, you really seem to doubt how other avenues of propaganda influence can be possibly successful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3,836
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    https://gizmodo.com/theres-something...ter-1846572212

    Here is the link from the first post


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    None of the examples look like *union-busting* at least none of these bots are engaging in anything that could be considered union-busting, they're just failing at PR.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •