Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,020

    Was Donnie Baseball the best Yankee first baseman ever?

    I say so 100%
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

    "Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by 7chuck7 View Post
    I say so 100%
    I think Lou Gehrig is the best yankee first baseman ever .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,574
    I wish this man would of got a ring. What could of been if he didn’t injure his back. He retired we go on a run winning 4 World Series next 7 years. He was a bench coach here then he didn’t get the head coaching job and we win the World Series right after he leaves.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,305
    He could have been had his back cooperated. Gehrig still owns the top spot imo.

    Some things to consider, 684 RBIs from 1984-89, most in ML history, 9 Gold Glove Awards in 14 years wearing pinstripes.

    Mattingly won the 1984 batting title (.343), besting teammate Dave Winfield (.340) and won the 1985 AL MVP after batting .324 with 35 home runs and 145 RBIs. In 1987, Mattingly set a Major League record (since tied) by belting six grand slams in a single season. Mattingly collected 2,153 career hits, 442 doubles and 1,099 RBIs, second to Gehrig among Yankees first basemen.

    Lou Gehrig: 116.3 fWAR

    Don Mattingly: 40.7 fWAR

    Wally Pipp: 28.4 fWAR

    Bill Skowron: 25.3 fWAR

    Jason Giambi: 21.9 fWAR
    Last edited by drt1010; 03-30-2021 at 07:53 AM.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,747
    Obviously Lou Gehrig, the Iron Horse, unless we are only evaluating their fielding ability. To say otherwise, would be a slap in the face to "the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,801
    Gehrig all the way unless Defense is the weighted quality. Mattingly was a ridiculously good defensive first baseman



    Ignorance is bliss

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    24,558
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    He could have been had his back cooperated. Gehrig still owns the top spot imo.

    Some things to consider, 684 RBIs from 1984-89, most in ML history, 9 Gold Glove Awards in 14 years wearing pinstripes.

    Mattingly won the 1984 batting title (.343), besting teammate Dave Winfield (.340) and won the 1985 AL MVP after batting .324 with 35 home runs and 145 RBIs. In 1987, Mattingly set a Major League record (since tied) by belting six grand slams in a single season. Mattingly collected 2,153 career hits, 442 doubles and 1,099 RBIs, second to Gehrig among Yankees first basemen.

    Lou Gehrig: 116.3 fWAR

    Don Mattingly: 40.7 fWAR

    Wally Pipp: 28.4 fWAR

    Bill Skowron: 25.3 fWAR

    Jason Giambi: 21.9 fWAR
    Lol those stats are absolutely ridiculous.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    He could have been had his back cooperated. Gehrig still owns the top spot imo.

    Some things to consider, 684 RBIs from 1984-89, most in ML history, 9 Gold Glove Awards in 14 years wearing pinstripes.

    Mattingly won the 1984 batting title (.343), besting teammate Dave Winfield (.340) and won the 1985 AL MVP after batting .324 with 35 home runs and 145 RBIs. In 1987, Mattingly set a Major League record (since tied) by belting six grand slams in a single season. Mattingly collected 2,153 career hits, 442 doubles and 1,099 RBIs, second to Gehrig among Yankees first basemen.

    Lou Gehrig: 116.3 fWAR

    Don Mattingly: 40.7 fWAR

    Wally Pipp: 28.4 fWAR

    Bill Skowron: 25.3 fWAR

    Jason Giambi: 21.9 fWAR
    Why are tino’s stats left out ? Imo he was the third best first baseman in Yankees history

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Why are tino’s stats left out ? Imo he was the third best first baseman in Yankees history
    He didn't make the top 5 list, his Yankee WAR: 16.6 rWAR, 16.0 fWAR, Teixeira 18.1 fWAR was actually ahead of him.

    His stats as a Yankee are impressive: 1,054 games, .276/.347/.484, .831 OPS, 113 OPS+, 192 home runs, 739 RBIs.

    As are Teixeira (2009-16) who slugged 206 homers during his eight years with the Yankees -- which included a World Series championship in his first season -- but injuries curtailed his production after 2011. Chambliss (1974-79, ’88) was the hero of the 1976 ALCS and was at his best from 1975-77, when he posted a .295/.332/.440 slash line.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,841
    as old as I am even I did'nt see Lou play,but I will say this,we've been blessed with some REAL SOLID GLOVES at first base,Chambliss, Donnie,Tino,Tex, matter of fact when we got Tex I remeber thinking ,man he's a good hitter but an even better glove,,and I love solid D

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    as old as I am even I did'nt see Lou play,but I will say this,we've been blessed with some REAL SOLID GLOVES at first base,Chambliss, Donnie,Tino,Tex, matter of fact when we got Tex I remeber thinking ,man he's a good hitter but an even better glove,,and I love solid D
    Too bad tex ended up only being a solid glove after 2010 though

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,747
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    as old as I am even I did'nt see Lou play,but I will say this,we've been blessed with some REAL SOLID GLOVES at first base,Chambliss, Donnie,Tino,Tex, matter of fact when we got Tex I remeber thinking ,man he's a good hitter but an even better glove,,and I love solid D
    Another thing about Tex's fielding is his length. Even though Mattingly was a tremendous fielder and was better than just about anyone on a ground ball to first and starting double plays, etc., Tex's length might have taken away more infield hits on throws to first.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cold Spring, NY
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Too bad tex ended up only being a solid glove after 2010 though


    Yeah, those 63 home runs the next two seasons rendered him useless. LOL
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,841
    Yanks guy I have him blocked(can’t imagine why) but seriously he is amazing, no matter what when why or how, he will find the negative

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    Yeah, those 63 home runs the next two seasons rendered him useless. LOL
    I was off by one year. , after 2011 his numbers starting to trend downwards including hrs due to injuries and his famous refusal to adjust to the shift . He did have a decent year in 2015 though .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •