Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    I don't see this as racist. It can be looked at as a form of reparations which most of the country still hasn't done.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    It can be looked at as a form of reparations only kind of furthers the point of race being a major factor. What if it is not supposed to be looked at as reparations and those are called for separately? Then do you think it is racist to single out a race? I don't think implementing more racist policy then justifying it later by saying it can be seen as reparations is a smart way to be moving forward across the country (I also don't let others try and justify their racism with me either).

If this is something specifically done as the answer for past injustice and will be reparations then sure there is more of a discussion to be had. I was more aware of reparations being pushed for African Americans due to slavery so not sure how this specifically addresses the descendants and those specifically impacted though that needs to be explained. Then we need to talk about why only the lowest of income families within certain races when those just outside this artificial barrier may have had struggles too. I can continue but I think you get the point of how this isn't legislation designed to be reparations nor is it ever mentioned that is the reason for it as far as I can see.

This is supposed to help low income families in general, they simply decided to exclude one race from receiving the help designed for all other low income families. It is a basic income program designed to help the wealth gap, multiple others have done this but none have singled out a race as not worthy as far as I am aware. The organization pushing this in the article has this directly on their website as well...
    Oakland Resilient Families is targeted to support families with the greatest wealth disparities per the Oakland Equity Index, with low-incomes and at least 1 child under 18, regardless of documentation status. The term ďfamilyĒ is defined broadly to recognize that families come in all shapes and sizes.

I am all for discussions on issues in the country and it's history but I am not for pushing racist policy that is being claimed to help low in come families/supposed to be that as the goal using reparations as an excuse to justify the racism included within.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 03-28-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't get why native populations should get it either. These are not reparations but just something to help people get by in this situation.
    I'm not talking reparations, even though natives most definitely deserve that.

A large share of indigenous people still live on reservations set aside by our government and generally land they were just willing to give up (in other words, not prime farm land, etc). Natives also still try to remain strongly connected to their culture which, in this day and age, is often counter to financial success. As I mentioned here somewhere, there are natives on reservations who make less in a year than most of us make in a week- and that's not an exaggeration.

Reservations are generally far away from good trucking lanes, so they have abysmal access to goods, especially readily available fresh foods. There's massive obesity and diabetes problems not because they overeat, but because they simply don't have solid access to have good nutrition. On top of that, because they're native, they're categorized differently for a lot of government assistance. So many don't have vehicles, the roads on reservations are poor, and jobs are scarce or require a longer commute than they're able to logically deal with.

It is literally 3rd world on many reservations.

That said, there's $31billion in the ARP for natives. That would be in the neighborhood of $11,000 for each and every one of them. Hopefully by the time that money is divided out, it is fairly and logically spent to create some real change, because they deserve it.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    What did you mean by the bolded?
    Its a matter of fact statement but I am not complaining about how its paid for or who is paying for it. Nice attempt to suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Its a matter of fact statement but I am not complaining about how its paid for or who is paying for it. Nice attempt to suggest otherwise.
    Heís very good at trying to make up arguments for you that you never made or claim you arenít aware of things you will openly admit lol.

The funny thing is he was whining/playing the victim as if itís others aiming to do this not himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I'm not talking reparations, even though natives most definitely deserve that.

A large share of indigenous people still live on reservations set aside by our government and generally land they were just willing to give up (in other words, not prime farm land, etc). Natives also still try to remain strongly connected to their culture which, in this day and age, is often counter to financial success. As I mentioned here somewhere, there are natives on reservations who make less in a year than most of us make in a week- and that's not an exaggeration.

Reservations are generally far away from good trucking lanes, so they have abysmal access to goods, especially readily available fresh foods. There's massive obesity and diabetes problems not because they overeat, but because they simply don't have solid access to have good nutrition. On top of that, because they're native, they're categorized differently for a lot of government assistance. So many don't have vehicles, the roads on reservations are poor, and jobs are scarce or require a longer commute than they're able to logically deal with.

It is literally 3rd world on many reservations.

That said, there's $31billion in the ARP for natives. That would be in the neighborhood of $11,000 for each and every one of them. Hopefully by the time that money is divided out, it is fairly and logically spent to create some real change, because they deserve it.
    I know that story. I'm some small percentage native north american and a considerably larger percentage native south american (Bolivia near the Altiplano now famous for a Top Gear episode). From what I've seen the majority of the native north americans are not too connected to their heritage anymore.

And it's a certainty that that money will not be close to evenly divided out.

But regardless of that, the city of Oakland is not the avenue to make that redress for native americans, or for black people, or for asian people, or for pacific islanders. This is not about race nor about history ... it's about the impact of the pandemic on the people of Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Heís very good at trying to make up arguments for you that you never made or claim you arenít aware of things you will openly admit lol.

The funny thing is he was whining/playing the victim as if itís others aiming to do this not himself.
    He's a skilled troll.

Welfare should go back to it's original purpose

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

Did I not say the welfare system sucks? I am pretty sure I did. Not to mention, there's a good chance considering welfare is a federally run system that people can collect both those benefits and the additional monthly aid from the city of Oakland.
    You're not complaining about how it's paid. You're just worried that poor non white folks might be getting two versions of government assistance. Why else would you bring up that point?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Says the guy who uses hypothetical scenarios as a response to real ones then goes on to try and stuff words in my mouth. But yes, I'm the person who makes things up. You're a special one.

I think we can concede that in many ways, the US society is...well, messy.

So, in light of the purported positives (it may be a just and uplifting program) and negatives (it may be a racist and ennervating program), would you revoke the Oakland program as it is reportedly designed?

I believe I would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    He's a skilled troll.
    Nah man, you right wingers just have a hard time handling the truth.

Says the guy who uses hypothetical scenarios as a response to real ones then goes on to try and stuff words in my mouth. But yes, I'm the person who makes things up. You're a special one.
    Hahahaha. I asked questions because you went on some rant unrelated to the question I asked when you ignored it. You have been the one trying to make up peoples arguments or assume what they know/mean throughout the thread while repeatedly trying to play victim as if I put words in your mouth more than what you have been doing throughout.

I even responded to a post you made despite still NEVER answering the initial question to this point. You said you were looking forward to it then didn't respond. It's because as multiple posters now are noting you are simply trying to troll.

All I did was use the scenario we have but switch the races around. It's like when sluggo goes on his rants and I change the identities then watch him go in circles. Even he is more capable of answering basic questions than you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I think we can concede that in many ways, the US society is...well, messy.

So, in light of the purported positives (it may be a just and uplifting program) and negatives (it may be a racist and ennervating program), would you revoke the Oakland program as it is reportedly designed?

I believe I would not.
    I would just target it towards low income families and not make it race related.

Nah man, you right wingers just have a hard time handling the truth.
    Hahaha please tell me you think me, mets, scoots and dew star are all right wing trolls and that's the issue here...

Hahahaha. I asked questions because you went on some rant unrelated to the question I asked when you ignored it. You have been the one trying to make up peoples arguments or assume what they know/mean throughout the thread while repeatedly trying to play victim as if I put words in your mouth more than what you have been doing throughout.

I even responded to a post you made despite still NEVER answering the initial question to this point. You said you were looking forward to it then didn't respond. It's because as multiple posters now are noting you are simply trying to troll.

All I did was use the scenario we have but switch the races around. It's like when sluggo goes on his rants and I change the identities then watch him go in circles. Even he is more capable of answering basic questions than you though.
    Rant? All of my responses to your nonsensical rants are one or two sentences while you go off the rails.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast