Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, but it's worth noting that Lamb was a pretty big part of the Harden trade, so I can forgive the Royce White and Terrence Jones selections. Jones at least had a few productive years in Houston. Worth the 18th overall pick? probably not, but not a complete bust.

Ultimately, though, the Rockets' draft capital will depend on what happens with the lottery. If they end up with a top 4 pick, I like their odds at getting a franchise cornerstone, as the top 5 players in this draft as as strong as any draft class in years. If that pick goes to OKC and they end up with Miami's pick instead, they'll probably end up with three picks in that 18-26 range. At that point, it's a total crapshoot.
    So, the Portland pick is lottery protected, with a month left in the season it seems it will convey.

The Bucks pick will be a late first but a no brainer to swap it for a 2nd.

Those two I understand rather easily, that third one says... "2021 first round draft pick from Brooklyn (swap, Houston, Oklahoma City, Miami, Detroit or Portland outgoing)".

I don't fully grasp what all is going on with that pick. Could they potentially of had a 4th first rounder and now they can't?

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    So, the Portland pick is lottery protected, with a month left in the season it seems it will convey.

The Bucks pick will be a late first but a no brainer to swap it for a 2nd.

Those two I understand rather easily, that third one says... "2021 first round draft pick from Brooklyn (swap, Houston, Oklahoma City, Miami, Detroit or Portland outgoing)".

I don't fully grasp what all is going on with that pick. Could they potentially of had a 4th first rounder and now they can't?
    So if Houston ends up with its own pick in the top 4, that pick is their's. End of story.

If it's not, they'll end up with the worst pick between OKC and Miami, so it's likely Miami's. But Houston also has the rights to swap that pick with Brooklyn, so if Miami somehow ended up with a better record than Brooklyn, Houston has the rights to swap that pick with the Nets' pick.

To make matters even more complicated, they own the rights to Detroit's pick, but it has a super complicated series of protections on it that likely won't convey for another 5-6 years.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 04-05-2021 at 05:10 PM.

No Jae'Sean Tate? Have you watched much Rockets basketball this season, dude?
    Tate is 25 I believe? Same age as Wood. Sure heís a nice piece as well. I dunno if we view him as a building block though. Porter jr and Martin jr I see more as prospects because of their age. Wood is likely the best player we have and on a great contract. But yeah aside from those 3-4 guys I picture a completely different roster next season.

Have I been watching? No bro, Not consistently. I havenít been watching Rockets or Raptors games this year. Iím all for the tank, I just have 0 interest in watching it. The minute we draft some decent young talent I will tune back in to watch their development and growth, right now thereís really no reason to tune in.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 04-05-2021 at 05:15 PM.

The last time they had 3 first rounders was the Lamb, Jones, Royce White draft, right?

If so, oof lol
    Lol letís hope this stone guy and his scouting team do a better job. Thereís talent all over this draft class.

Yeah, but it's worth noting that Lamb was a pretty big part of the Harden trade, so I can forgive the Royce White and Terrence Jones selections. Jones at least had a few productive years in Houston. Worth the 18th overall pick? probably not, but not a complete bust.

Ultimately, though, the Rockets' draft capital will depend on what happens with the lottery. If they end up with a top 4 pick, I like their odds at getting a franchise cornerstone, as the top 5 players in this draft as as strong as any draft class in years. If that pick goes to OKC and they end up with Miami's pick instead, they'll probably end up with three picks in that 18-26 range. At that point, it's a total crapshoot.
    I actually liked Jones, and I thought he would have more of a promising career.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Lol letís hope this stone guy and his scouting team do a better job. Thereís talent all over this draft class.
    I've heard that about this 2021 class. That 2012 draft only had like 5 or so solid dudes so was a tough draft to have 3 firsts in.

I think drafting 3 solid first rounders is super difficult to do anyway.

I've heard that about this 2021 class. That 2012 draft only had like 5 or so solid dudes so was a tough draft to have 3 firsts in.

I think drafting 3 solid first rounders is super difficult to do anyway.
    Not expecting 3 home runs, but the fact the we have 3 cracks getting one is enticing enough. The draft is never a sure bet, but having more options def helps.

Tate is 25 I believe? Same age as Wood. Sure heís a nice piece as well. I dunno if we view him as a building block though. Porter jr and Martin jr I see more as prospects because of their age. Wood is likely the best player we have and on a great contract. But yeah aside from those 3-4 guys I picture a completely different roster next season.
    Even taking Tate's age into account, I'd argue he's the second most reliable young prospect on the team right now behind Wood and a safer bet to be healthy in his career. Dude just does a little bit of everything well and is an excellent defender of multiple positions. He's never going to be a 20/5/5 guy, but I could see him being a consistent 14/7/3/1 guy in his career while providing exceptional defense.

In terms of a "completely different roster," I wouldn't bet on it at this point. Wall's not going anywhere for probably at least another year. Maybe they find a way to move Gordon, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him around for another season, too.

Have I been watching? No bro, Not consistently. I havenít been watching Rockets or Raptors games this year. Iím all for the tank, I just have 0 interest in watching it. The minute we draft some decent young talent I will tune back in to watch their development and growth, right now thereís really no reason to tune in.
    I don't watch every game, but I make it a point to try to tune in and catch 30-40 minutes of a game once or twice a week, if not longer. The young guys are fun to watch and they have stretches of shocking competency. And the less Wall plays, the more fun they are to watch. They actually have looked pretty good offensively as of late. But they've lost a lot of that defensive intensity they had early in the season.

You ought to give them a shot. It's actually kind of fun to watch a basketball team you have so little expectations for and want to tank. I just get to focus on the development of the prospects and the individual possessions, and I care way less about the outcome of each game.

Even taking Tate's age into account, I'd argue he's the second most reliable young prospect on the team right now behind Wood and a safer bet to be healthy in his career. Dude just does a little bit of everything well and is an excellent defender of multiple positions. He's never going to be a 20/5/5 guy, but I could see him being a consistent 14/7/3/1 guy in his career while providing exceptional defense.

In terms of a "completely different roster," I wouldn't bet on it at this point. Wall's not going anywhere for probably at least another year. Maybe they find a way to move Gordon, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him around for another season, too.

I don't watch every game, but I make it a point to try to tune in and catch 30-40 minutes of a game once or twice a week, if not longer. The young guys are fun to watch and they have stretches of shocking competency. And the less Wall plays, the more fun they are to watch. They actually have looked pretty good offensively as of late. But they've lost a lot of that defensive intensity they had early in the season.

You ought to give them a shot. It's actually kind of fun to watch a basketball team you have so little expectations for and want to tank. I just get to focus on the development of the prospects and the individual possessions, and I care way less about the outcome of each game.
    Yeah donít get me wrong I watch the odd game here and there. I just watch a lot of random games in general for fantasy reasons this year. Just feels like we donít have a horse in the race. But I am also looking forward to next season with respect to my teams. Both seasons have been write offs. I was pretty salty about it earlier in the season Iím not even gonna lie lol

Not expecting 3 home runs, but the fact the we have 3 cracks getting one is enticing enough. The draft is never a sure bet, but having more options def helps.
    For sure, definitely in a rebuild too.

God I really hope Kelly O is not part of the future, thatís not what we had in mind when we traded Harden. The idea is to reset and rebuild not add veteran role players. Iím pretty sure Kelly will sign with a new team in free agency. For now heís been a pretty good pick up for my fantasy league lol.

Houston really needs to scout well and focus on building through the draft. The only piece I see on the roster that can remain beyond next season is Christian Wood, being that heís only 25 and on a great contract value wise I think he can be apart of the next era or Rockets basketball. Aside from him I do like Kevin Porter Jr, and maybe Martin Jr. And thatís about it. Everyone else can go. Iíd like for Stone to try and trade Eric Gordon & House. And maybe we could move Wall next year as he only has two years remaining but weíll see what happens there. We might be stuck with him for a while yet.
    This is the take Houston fans should have, not hopes of a role player taking minutes from young guys, or signing for cheap.

If the money isn't being spent on a player for the long term, it should be spent on acquiring assets for the long term which includes flexibility to absorb contracts. ALL money should be preserved.... Even just $10-12M for a solid role player. You never know what bad contract X team wants you to take off their hands for a future draft pick. Ever bit counts.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    This is the take Houston fans should have, not hopes of a role player taking minutes from young guys, or signing for cheap.

If the money isn't being spent on a player for the long term, it should be spent on acquiring assets for the long term which includes flexibility to absorb contracts. ALL money should be preserved.... Even just $10-12M for a solid role player. You never know what bad contract X team wants you to take off their hands for a future draft pick. Ever bit counts.
    I'm for whatever is in the best interest of the team. If Stone, Sillas and the front office think Olynyk is good for the team and the development of the young guys, I'm for re-signing him. If they think he's preventing the development of young players (which, again, I don't think is the case), then they can move on from him.

Also, if there's a young player out there who could be had to help build on the young core they have in place, I'd obviously prefer that. But I think it's ignorant to assume that just because a guy is older than the rest of the roster that he wouldn't necessarily have a place on the team. There are a ton of veterans playing for young, rebuilding franchises around the league. You need guys like that.

I'm for whatever is in the best interest of the team. If Stone, Sillas and the front office think Olynyk is good for the team and the development of the young guys, I'm for re-signing him. If they think he's preventing the development of young players (which, again, I don't think is the case), then they can move on from him.

Also, if there's a young player out there who could be had to help build on the young core they have in place, I'd obviously prefer that. But I think it's ignorant to assume that just because a guy is older than the rest of the roster that he wouldn't necessarily have a place on the team. There are a ton of veterans playing for young, rebuilding franchises around the league. You need guys like that.
    So you've established Olynyk is the type of veteran leader well suited for that role after roughly 4 games you've seen?

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    So you've established Olynyk is the type of veteran leader well suited for that role after roughly 4 games you've seen?
    No. AGAIN, I'm saying I like what I've seen of him in a small sample size, and I think there's a chance he COULD have a future on this team. Through six games, he's been the best Rocket on the floor over that stretch, and they've been a much better basketball team since he came on board.

Are you always this dense? Based on your takes on non-sports topics, I can't say I'm shocked. but I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself before it sinks in. Just for clarity one more time, I:

A. Think Olynyk has played really well thus far in a small sample size and outperformed expectations;
    B. Think there's a chance he could be good for the team beyond just this season at the right price;
    C. Think there's a chance, A CHANCE (just for repetition in case you need it) that Olynyk could end up being a better fit in Houston than Oladipo is in Miami;
    D. Think Oladipo has performed poorly in his small sample size in Miami on top of missing games already and likely demanding a massive contract in a few months;
    E. Would be totally fine if Olynyk re-signs elsewhere if ultimately it's not in the best interest of the roster.

Does that sum it up well enough for you? Need clarity on anything else?

No. AGAIN, I'm saying I like what I've seen of him in a small sample size, and I think there's a chance he COULD have a future on this team. Through six games, he's been the best Rocket on the floor over that stretch, and they've been a much better basketball team since he came on board.

Are you always this dense? Based on your takes on non-sports topics, I can't say I'm shocked. but I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself before it sinks in. Just for clarity one more time, I:

A. Think Olynyk has played really well thus far in a small sample size and outperformed expectations;
    B. Think there's a chance he could be good for the team beyond just this season at the right price;
    C. Think there's a chance, A CHANCE (just for repetition in case you need it) that Olynyk could end up being a better fit in Houston than Oladipo is in Miami;
    D. Think Oladipo has performed poorly in his small sample size in Miami on top of missing games already and likely demanding a massive contract in a few months;
    E. Would be totally fine if Olynyk re-signs elsewhere if ultimately it's not in the best interest of the roster.

Does that sum it up well enough for you? Need clarity on anything else?
    I think you're probably best suited to getting some sunshine, and disconnecting from online for a few weeks at minimum. You take everything way too seriously and personally dealing with total strangers online. It's unhealthy to invest so much attention to what somebody you'll never meet has to say about a team that doesn't know you exist. You find an axe to grind with everything included the perceived trade off comparison of a player who's going to leave in less than 2 months, and isn't helping the team win or build for the long term.

I say these things totally human to human. Whatever you still think of me, I'm just glad I tried to help the only way I know how. Be safe.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast