Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

The Good and Bad so far in ST

Well, got off to a pretty good start and then hit a wall. Here are some good and bad so far in the spring:

Good
    Haase- swinging a good bat right now and playing all over (.455 average/.600 on base in 11AB)
    Baddoo- looking pretty solid in the field and at bat right now, we need to find a way to keep him (.400/.556 in 20B with 7BB to 6K)
    Reyes- came in late but out playing others who have been here, see below (.375/.500)
    Candy/Castro/Ramos- all playing very good ball already
    Boyd- very solid (2.00 ERA)
    Norris- looks good (2.84 ERA)
    Urena/Teheran- Both look better than I thought they would and should be choices in the rotation now
    Skubal/Manning- Skubs hasn't given up a run and Manning is at a 1.50 ERA but got sent down?
    Krol/Holland- Two reclamation projects that are winning a roster spot right now. Neither has given up a run and have 6K in 4 innings pitched, solid BP guys

Bad
    Fulmer- He's looked bad (8.53 ERA) but has a chance today to step up
    Farmer- What in the world is going on with him, he has totally blown up (21.60 ERA)
    Mize- he should have gotten sent down instead of Manning. (8.53 ERA and 9BB/7K) Come on dude!
    Franklin Perez- The guy just isn't the same and may not ever be, too bad
    Tork- Wow, I thought he was suppose to be close to ready....not with a .056/.190 with 11K in 18AB, and it seemed they were trying to showcase him.
    Meadows- will this kid ever hit? Only 3AB but K'd in 2 of them and looked out of place.
    Rogers- This guy WILL never hit (.125/.167) at least he use to get on base now and again now his OB is horrible as well.
    Grossman- he got the money but others are out playing him. Hope he steps it up, I like the guy (.125/.217)
    Jones- I am tired of waiting on him, injuries/poor play, always something. (.100/.217) Can't just give him CF with Reyes and Baddoo around.

I try not to take ST on face value but it is concerning that Fulmer might be washed.

Baddoo on the other hand has 3 home runs in 4 games. Definitely making a late push for an OF spot.

Mize = bust

Mize looked like dog **** after his first couple starts last year. He lost all his control. He's looking more and more like a busted #1 pick.

Manning on the other hand, is going to be a stud.

Yes, Mize hasn't looked great but he has shown signs. The thing is, when we drafted him he was a college arm that was supposed to be MLB ready and it hasn't shown. Honestly, I remember in that draft and on this board, I cautioned picking him because his stats against bigger tougher schools wasn't the greatest. He fed on smaller or worse schools because he could get away with just leaning back and firing or they would chase his breaking stuff. Now, he faces players like the big schools daily and he needs to be on the top of his game all the time. Do I think he's a bust? Absolutely not but I had three guys ranked above him that are doing really well right now. This is how I had them ranked, if I remember right:

1. Jarred Kelenic- saw him as the next Mike Trout. Scouts down graded him because he was a midwest kid that didn't play as many games but if you watched him the kid was fantastic and is a pure athlete as well. He is going to man the Mariners CF spot for years.

2. Alec Bohm- Big kid with power but could make contact as well. He is a 3B/1B guy that already got a taste of the MLB and is tearing up spring training this year. Another guy that we should have looked at more.

3. Nick Madrigal- middle infielder who is currently playing 2B for the White Sox and doing quite well. I still think he could play SS in the MLB and it would have been nice to have him there and Willi Castro at 2B. Better combo.

** Still think my guy Austin Martin will be better than Tork as well. Hopefully, I'm wrong or they both turn out very good.

I feel like we got overhyped on Mize when he threw a no hitter in his first AA start

I joke when I call him a bust, because due to age we expect him to be a finished product, but he's got a surprising amount of polish still to go

I was a Brady Singer guy. Still think Mize will be a mid-rotation major leaguer. Part of his allure was a high floor, I think hes up before the year is out but Skubal and Manning will be the 1-2 eventually.