Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Zack Snyder's Justice League

After a years long fan campaign and social media drive the #ReleasetheSnyderCut movement succeeded and the Justice League movie we should have gotten in 2017 is finally releasing on HBO Max on March 18th. Due to the all the events surrounding this movie I'm surprised this thread wasn't created sooner. For those unaware, what occurred during the production of Justice League, and how we got the theatrical cut, is one of the most insane stories of studio interference anyone could imagine. Here is a summary of what happened

After the very divisive release of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Warner Brothers panicked at the critical and online reaction. The fact that the movie also failed to reach $1 billion at the global box office also didn't help matters. W.B. decided to move away from Zack Snyder's vision for the DCEU, but the follow up movie, Justice League, was already in production with Snyder directing. The studio didn't allow Snyder to implement certain story elements that he originally planned, such as a relationship between Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne and Amy Adams' Lois Lane in the movie. Snyder and his team was forced to rewrite the script of Justice League and add humor to the film, and W.B. mandated that at least one of producers Geoff Johns and John Berg be present during filming at all times. They also mandated that Justice League runtime can be no longer than two hours, so it could get the most possible showings in theaters.

Eventually, Warner Brothers hired Joss Whedon to add scenes and polish the script to lighten the tone of the film. Snyder continued on as director and finished principal photography, meaning he filmed the entire movie, but during post production his 20 year old daughter, Autumn Snyder, committed suicide. After taking a hiatus to mourn, Snyder returned to work for a studio that didn't want his product. They wanted Whedon to direct some scenes during the upcoming reshoots and they wouldn't budge on the two hours or less mandate for the runtime. Not long after returning, Snyder decided to step down as director of Justice League in May 2017, less than six months before the release of the film. Joss Whedon took over as director, and reshoots began in June 2017.

In Snyder's absence, Warner Brothers ended up reshooting basically the entire movie, spending over $25 million on the reshoots (typically reshoots cost in the $3-5 million range), and Joss Whedon gave them a cut of the movie that was under two hours and lighter in tone than Zack Snyder's version, which is exactly what the studio wanted. The fact that they did it all in under six months however, means the quality of the film was unimaginably bad. The CGI was beyond atrocious, Henry Cavill, who played Superman, had a moustache during the reshoots because he needed one for another role and they decided to digitally remove the mustache in post production. Long story short, they did a bad job and his mouth looks horrific. The overall terrible CGI is one the most memorable things about the theatrical cut of Justice League. It would have made all the sense in the world to just delay the release of the movie considering how uncomplete the finished product ended up being, but the executives at W.B. wanted to get the movie out so they could give themselves bonuses before their company, Time Warner, merged with AT&T. They signed off on releasing an incomplete film so they could pay themselves.

Due to all those events, and because some people actually enjoyed Zack Snyder's movies (myself included), the calls to release the Snyder cut of Justice League began. After all, Snyder did film the entire movie. For a long time W.B. had absolutely no interest in doing that and the only reason we're getting this movie is because AT&T, who now owns W.B., needs original programming for their streaming service HBO Max to compete with the likes of Netflix and Disney+. It also didn't hurt that Snyder filmed his movie, he only needed to complete post production. AT&T gave Snyder $70 million and even allowed him to add additional photography, his own reshoots, to finish his movie. His completed Justice League movie, which will be over four hours long, will drop on HBO Max on Thursday March 18th, 1,217 days since the theatrical cut of Justice League.

Regardless of whether or not you liked Zack Snyder's DC movies, the story of what happened to Justice League, and to him, is truly fascinating. Below are some trailers of the movie, and it obviously looks nothing like what was released in 2017.

Trailer #1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIOU_k4mwDw

Trailer #2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-Bja2Gy04

Batman tease
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PKbNzN52NA

Superman tease
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3T86DvfStk

Wonder Woman tease
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akbg9DV6HEI

Flash tease
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFbB70sawgo

Cyborg tease
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP5BPjEaLYw

Aquaman tease
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVZwy2RX_w

Steppenwolf tease
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxYnoGqea_w

Darkseid tease
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6N1Dt8GVx4
    Last edited by TylerSL; 03-10-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Personally, I loved MoS and BvS and want these movies to continue. I think this movie is going to be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerSL View Post
    Personally, I loved MoS and BvS and want these movies to continue. I think this movie is going to be excellent.
    I think Someone's getting Fired from Warner Brothers after this.

Did anyone see the Green Lantern in the first trailer?

#FreeYagyu And CSSTL

MoS is a personal favorite again that’s the one superhero movie that actually shows massive destruction and what really would happen if there was such a battle, the amount of death would be thousands upon thousands.

BvS sucked, I tried to liked it and while it had some good things they did Doomsday dirty.

I am also a fan of Zack Snyder movies aside from Sucker Punch which was ***.

I'm excited about this movie. the 4 hour runtime seems crazy though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    I think Someone's getting Fired from Warner Brothers after this.

Did anyone see the Green Lantern in the first trailer?
    I would like to think that people will get fired, they definitely deserve to, but I think if anyone was going to get fired for ruining Justice League it would have happened already. Geoff Johns, John Berg, Toby Emmerich, and Kevin Tsujihara all should have been fired years ago for their role in the theatrical cut of Justice League. Berg resigned shortly after Justice League released to theaters and Tsujihara stepped down as CEO of Warner Brothers after it was revealed he sexually propositioned women for roles. Geoff Johns and Toby Emmerich remain at Warner Bros to this day and that likely won't change regardless of how well the movie is received. They left Zack Snyder's name on the theatrical cut so he would take the blame for it's failure.

I do believe this movie is going to make everyone at W.B. looks extremely bad because of what they did in 2017. If it brings success to HBO Max, the decision to continue these films will fall to Jason Kilar, CEO of Warnermedia, not those *******s who ruined his movie four years ago. I do believe Zack Snyder will get to finish his story and the sequels he needs. I believe this movie is going to end on a big cliffhanger or reveal (personally hoping it's Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern), and the fans are going to demand that this continue. Considering this movie is being released, it's not a fanbase I'd bet against.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    MoS is a personal favorite again that’s the one superhero movie that actually shows massive destruction and what really would happen if there was such a battle, the amount of death would be thousands upon thousands.

BvS sucked, I tried to liked it and while it had some good things they did Doomsday dirty.

I am also a fan of Zack Snyder movies aside from Sucker Punch which was ***.
    Totally agree with you on Man of Steel, that film is excellent. As for Batman v Superman, did you watch the three hour Ultimate Edition? The two and a half hour theatrical cut is a bit confusing because it cuts a lot of Superman and Lex's scenes and not everything gets explained well. The Ultimate Edition really clears a lot of things up. If you still think it sucks regardless I don't know else to say, we'll just disagree. To me, BvS is better than MoS.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerSL View Post
    Totally agree with you on Man of Steel, that film is excellent. As for Batman v Superman, did you watch the three hour Ultimate Edition? The two and a half hour theatrical cut is a bit confusing because it cuts a lot of Superman and Lex's scenes and not everything gets explained well. The Ultimate Edition really clears a lot of things up. If you still think it sucks regardless I don't know else to say, we'll just disagree. To me, BvS is better than MoS.
    I did not watch the ultimate edition, might have to see it.

My gripe is doomsday, that battle needed to be epic like Zod vs Superman was and it was not. They whole Martha thing was lame as well.

Again I tried to like it and the more I thought about it the less I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I did not watch the ultimate edition, might have to see it.

My gripe is doomsday, that battle needed to be epic like Zod vs Superman was and it was not. They whole Martha thing was lame as well.

Again I tried to like it and the more I thought about it the less I liked it.
    Totally agree on the Doomsday thing. They should have made a whole movie or multiple movies with Doomsday as the villain. When that story was done in the comic books it was like the biggest thing since sliced bread. Even as someone who never collected comics, I got pretty in to it, and bought numerous of the comics and the anthology collection that combined them all.

Instead, he was basically an afterthought. They tried to cram too much in to a single movie in a desperate attempt to catch up to what Marvel did over a course of a decade plus and dozens of movies. I don't like the Marvel stuff much at all but you can see the work they put in to crafting a story that culminated with so many characters joining forces. They earned that big blowout that was Infinity War/Endgame.

Said it when it happened that Doomsday should have been held out for the 3rd superman movie... It should have gone like this.

Man Of Steel
    Superman vs Luthor/Brainac combo
    Superman vs doomsday

Superman vs doomsday where you see luthor freeing him for the first half of the movie followed by the 2nd half being just 50 plus minutes of non stop action and destruction of a ton of metropolis... I dont want no stupid spear like ending either... It should have been a 1v1 brawl followed by both guys deaths.

Then you could have set up the other films inbetween all of this and done a number of things like bringing superman back vs any number of villians including doomsday down the line. We got 15 minutes of a doomsday fight where both he and superman were underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Totally agree on the Doomsday thing. They should have made a whole movie or multiple movies with Doomsday as the villain. When that story was done in the comic books it was like the biggest thing since sliced bread. Even as someone who never collected comics, I got pretty in to it, and bought numerous of the comics and the anthology collection that combined them all.

Instead, he was basically an afterthought. They tried to cram too much in to a single movie in a desperate attempt to catch up to what Marvel did over a course of a decade plus and dozens of movies. I don't like the Marvel stuff much at all but you can see the work they put in to crafting a story that culminated with so many characters joining forces. They earned that big blowout that was Infinity War/Endgame.
    Yeah it has Spider-Man 3 all over it when you insert a big villain and others and that major villain gets no justice.

Early reviews are in and so far a lot of positive files back.

The Snyder Cut is a much longer Justice League, but not a better one

There’s no alternate reality, no Else- or Bizarro World, where the Justice League premiering on HBO Max this week is the only version, the “official” Justice League. Imagine that Zack Snyder had stayed at the helm of the DC crossover event he was orchestrating—that family tragedy hadn’t torn him away from the project and that Warner Bros. hadn’t taken his absence as excuse to reconfigure the whole film against his wishes. Even under those “what if” circumstances, would multiplexes really become home to a four-hour, R-rated team-building exercise for comicdom’s most famous spandexed heroes? This, the fabled Snyder Cut of popular (or at least persistent) demand, is a movie that could only have risen from the rubble of another: It’s a maximalist superhero spectacular, twice the length of the previous iteration, that exists because of the troubles that plagued its production, not in spite of them.
    https://film.avclub.com/the-snyder-c...not-1846466321

Seems 50/50ish so far.

I thought the movie was fine, better than the original in regards to things it added for character development and things it cut out (bad humor for one). There are still quite a few things I had problems with, and even some of the additions don't always help (length being one issue) but largely it made for a more entertaining movie.

That said the post credit scenes far excite me more for what could come, though I am not sure it will.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast