Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

2021 Draft Thread

It's an important draft this year. This isn't a tank thread. Reality is, we have a 17-17 record this year. Last year we finished with 19 losses total. Draft position will be higher, draft is expected to have an excellent Top 5 and solid depth well beyond.

I've spent weeks/months studying prospects (because I get excited about this stuff). I'll be happy to post regular write ups about various players. I specifically have been researching C prospects, so that will be a primary interest of my posts.

I encourage anyone to participate and talk about ANY prospect here in this thread. Lets enjoy college, international and G-League basketball in reference to the upcoming draft!

Please participate!

Of the players in our potential range, Iíd love K Jones or G Brown. Or if we end up later maybe BJ Boston just because Kentucky, or I Jackson.

The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

I like Garuba better out of the two. Day'ron looks decent. I've seen him mocked to us a few times recently.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I like Garuba better out of the two. Day'ron looks decent. I've seen him mocked to us a few times recently.
    I can see them pissing ppl off and drafting BPA still.

How about this 7'0, 250 lbs specimen that won MVP at basketball without borders last year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6obBoEMZnRI&t=119s

Ariel Hukporti is starting to rise on draft boards.

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    I can see them pissing ppl off and drafting BPA still.
    There are some interesting elite perimeter defenders that I could see them really liking. Not sure we'll be in range to draft Keon Johnson or Moses Moody, but those Baylor guards are leading that squad to a lot of wins with excellent two way play.

We really need an exciting young big though. One reason I'm hoping the acquire another pick. Even if its late.

Yeah Raptors need to draft a big in this 2021 Draft...definitely need to draft a center because that is the real position of need. Because y'all are pretty set at PG, SG, PF unless y'all draft either a center or small forward because that is another position of need. But center is more pressing than anythin.

Just reading an article this morning on The Athletic discussing Dayíron Sharpe. One evaluator has him late lottery, the other around 20. Both agree he has excellent hands around the basket, catches passes from anywhere, moves really well for a 7 footer, best rebounder in the draft (although Mobley or Bassey might challenge that), and great passer. Evaluators werenít sure on how he will defend at the next level and both didnít feel confident with his outside shot. Some exciting skills, some deficits.

Charles Bassey is up to 11 on NBAdraft.net in their recent mock. Kai Jones way down to late 20ís. Bassey looks more and more like the guy that I want. 6'10, 7'3 wingspan. Great athleticism, quick jump, very good timing as a rim protector. Solid motor and is just putting up huge numbers. He is starting to knock down some outside shots now too. I recognize he is a Junior, is coming off a year where he missed a lot of time to injury and he plays in a lesser followed conference, but he is hard to ignore as a prospect.

For the mock on NBAdraft.net, they had Raptors taking Bouknight at 15. I expect he will be picked before we draft, so I was surprised that he seemed to slip on the board. He may be undersized at SG but the kid is pure offense. Reminds me of Donovan Mitchell a bit.
    Last edited by pebloemer; 03-08-2021 at 11:40 AM.

One name I recently heard of and looked up is Ibou Dianko Badji. He plays for Barcelona. He's raw, and will likely never have a + outside shot, but his athleticism, build and preternatural blocking ability are intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Raptor View Post
    One name I recently heard of and looked up is Ibou Dianko Badji. He plays for Barcelona. He's raw, and will likely never have a + outside shot, but his athleticism, build and preternatural blocking ability are intriguing.
    He's the guy with the 7'8 wingspan or something crazy right? I've read a bit about him too. Feels like a Bol Bol/ Mo Bamba type prospect. Someone will take a flyer on him I'm sure.

I really want the Raptors to get 1 or 2 more draft picks in this year's draft. A lot of interesting prospects throughout the draft as opposed to last year's bare cupboard of a draft.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Just reading an article this morning on The Athletic discussing Dayíron Sharpe. One evaluator has him late lottery, the other around 20. Both agree he has excellent hands around the basket, catches passes from anywhere, moves really well for a 7 footer, best rebounder in the draft (although Mobley or Bassey might challenge that), and great passer. Evaluators werenít sure on how he will defend at the next level and both didnít feel confident with his outside shot. Some exciting skills, some deficits.

Charles Bassey is up to 11 on NBAdraft.net in their recent mock. Kai Jones way down to late 20ís. Bassey looks more and more like the guy that I want. 6'10, 7'3 wingspan. Great athleticism, quick jump, very good timing as a rim protector. Solid motor and is just putting up huge numbers. He is starting to knock down some outside shots now too. I recognize he is a Junior, is coming off a year where he missed a lot of time to injury and he plays in a lesser followed conference, but he is hard to ignore as a prospect.

For the mock on NBAdraft.net, they had Raptors taking Bouknight at 15. I expect he will be picked before we draft, so I was surprised that he seemed to slip on the board. He may be undersized at SG but the kid is pure offense. Reminds me of Donovan Mitchell a bit.
    Raptors have enough options at the point guard position or should I say point God y'all...just like y'all have enough shooting guards as well...y'all either need to either draft a small forward or a center. I would go 5...and draft a center period.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Raptors have enough options at the point guard position or should I say point God y'all...just like y'all have enough shooting guards as well...y'all either need to either draft a small forward or a center. I would go 5...and draft a center period.
    We could potentially lose Kyle and Norm, so our glut of guards may actually become quite thin, (is there any other guard on the team you'd trust?). Also, I tend to lean towards drafting the best available over drafting for need. There's a finite amount of NBA talent out there. Most of the draft doesn't even qualify in that category. I think you get NBA talent and figure out how to make it work, and when it comes to positions of immediate need, that's where you use free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Raptor View Post
    We could potentially lose Kyle and Norm, so our glut of guards may actually become quite thin, (is there any other guard on the team you'd trust?). Also, I tend to lean towards drafting the best available over drafting for need. There's a finite amount of NBA talent out there. Most of the draft doesn't even qualify in that category. I think you get NBA talent and figure out how to make it work, and when it comes to positions of immediate need, that's where you use free agency.
    Fair enough and that is why you extend both Kyle and Norm cuz this year's free agency class like it is so thin like which big names can you go after at this point? Y'all can't do anythin so that bein said back to the Draft...y'all have to go big cuz this team lacks size and interior defense first and foremost off the top

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast