Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Shannon Sharpe calls out Mike Tomlin

Shannon Sharpe on Mike Tomlin calling out NFL teams for not hiring Eric Bieniemy as HC: ďMike Tomlin is in position to hire black coordinators and he hasnít in 14 years, so Iím not going to let him throw stones at everyone else.Ē

https://news.yahoo.com/steelers-mike...012551236.html
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'll eat a shoe if BB is still coaching in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Fair point. Honestly given the number of ****** black coaches who've been given a chance, I can't believe we're still complaining about EB. EB has a few major red flags, but it's also worth pointing out he's been an non-playcalling OC for 3 seasons now; Reid has had OCs get promoted after 2-4 seasons, so it's still early to be crying about him not getting a shot despite Reid's track record.

Hell, I thought Tomlin should've been fired a few years ago, but he's been about to hold on despite not having a significant playoff win since 2010. It clearly matters who you are and who you know more than it does your skin color.

Hell, I thought Tomlin should've been fired a few years ago, but he's been about to hold on despite not having a significant playoff win since 2010.
    If he coached in a tougher division he would have been fired years ago. Easy to coast to wins with a routinely soft schedule and a franchise QB. Doubt he makes it more than 3 years past Ben, unless he can pin the blame on whoever his next QB is.

Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Tomlin is still just one of 32 HCs, so why call him out for a systemic problem? Besides, the last two Steelers OC seem to have been hand-picked by Roethlisberger, while the DC has been with the Steelers forever and actually deserves his spot. On the other hand, all these white "offensive geniuses" in their 30s got a fast lane to their coaching careers, none quicker than Sean McVay. Most of the younger black coordinators have a far more impressive resume, like for example DeMeco Ryans. He's intelligent and a leader, but if he hadn't been a starting MLB in the league for a decade he'd be nowhere near an NFL coaching job, because he doesn't have a daddy or granddaddy who could have gotten him an entry-level job making peanuts and support him financially.

Because only the coordinators diversity matters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Tomlin is still just one of 32 HCs, so why call him out for a systemic problem? Besides, the last two Steelers OC seem to have been hand-picked by Roethlisberger, while the DC has been with the Steelers forever and actually deserves his spot. On the other hand, all these white "offensive geniuses" in their 30s got a fast lane to their coaching careers, none quicker than Sean McVay. Most of the younger black coordinators have a far more impressive resume, like for example DeMeco Ryans. He's intelligent and a leader, but if he hadn't been a starting MLB in the league for a decade he'd be nowhere near an NFL coaching job, because he doesn't have a daddy or granddaddy who could have gotten him an entry-level job making peanuts and support him financially.
    Steelers also have a black assistant coach, OL coach, WR coach, RB coach, TE coach, Secondary coach, senior defensive assistant coach, defensive line coach, and outside linebackers coach. But those donít matter in this conversation apparently. [emoji2369]

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Steelers also have a black assistant coach, OL coach, WR coach, RB coach, TE coach, Secondary coach, senior defensive assistant coach, defensive line coach, and outside linebackers coach. But those donít matter in this conversation apparently.
    I guess if you don't know what a coordinator is, it might be confusing.

Sticking to traditions:

-Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Steelers also have a black assistant coach, OL coach, WR coach, RB coach, TE coach, Secondary coach, senior defensive assistant coach, defensive line coach, and outside linebackers coach. But those donít matter in this conversation apparently. [emoji2369]

Is that abnormal though? I feel like most WR/RB/DL/ secondary coaches are black. Is there a list of positional coaches that's easy to compare?

Is that abnormal though? I feel like most WR/RB/DL/ secondary coaches are black. Is there a list of positional coaches that's easy to compare?
    No easy way to compare tbh.

The issue is deeper than the NFL. Like all people do, executives hire people they feel comfortable with. Itís pretty proven that we all have underlying biases that make us form better relationships with people like ourselves. So the white GM is more likely to ďconnectĒ with the white coach. And same for the black GM with the black coach.

Now, like everything else, this executive positions lean white. So we need more black executives. And then in the bigger societal picture we need to chip away at that subconscious bias to gravitate towards people like ourselves. White people and black people need to become more accustomed and comfortable being with each other.

So Tomlin who has plenty of smart black men as his coaches needs to hire a black Coord so he can have an opinion? How stupid is that logic? Also who is to say that the people he has hired werent the smartest/best interviews at the time? The problem is and has always been that the people that owned these organizations have a club house together for years and years and it started in times where black people got treated horribly... Its going to take alot longer for things to change in a league where white people were recycled/brought up in the business etc. I think it is more of a insider problem above a racial problem.

Mostly White Old Owners hire GMs that were mostly white coaches of some area on teams that had mostly white coaches across the board from the 60-early 2000s yet we expect things to change in a decade or 2? It sucks but its more of an in house issue where the NFL just doesnt bring in outside blood. Everything is in house period and the NFL house is mostly white outside of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    The issue is deeper than the NFL. Like all people do, executives hire people they feel comfortable with. Itís pretty proven that we all have underlying biases that make us form better relationships with people like ourselves. So the white GM is more likely to ďconnectĒ with the white coach. And same for the black GM with the black coach.

Now, like everything else, this executive positions lean white. So we need more black executives. And then in the bigger societal picture we need to chip away at that subconscious bias to gravitate towards people like ourselves. White people and black people need to become more accustomed and comfortable being with each other.
    It's amazing that in the USA today, schools are more ethnically segregated than they were in the late 1960s.