Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    This team needs Lavy as a coach. The whole AHL team would be playing as Lavy would bench all the lazy players.
    okay, i have a few thoughts about this:

1: if you need to bench half the roster, the issue isn't the coach.

2: i don't know that "lazy" is wrong, but i do wonder if it's more accurate to say that a lot of players are just not in adequate physical condition. it might be laziness, but it might also be that they don't have cardio and they don't have lower body strength to skate at full speed for entire shifts, for the whole game.

3: this team is also just slow in general. anything else that's wrong is compounding that issue.

4: laziness is definitely an issue with this team's passing, zone exits and zone entries. whether it's actual laziness, or just nonchalance, or inattention to detail, it's killing this team.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post

2: i don't know that "lazy" is wrong, but i do wonder if it's more accurate to say that a lot of players are just not in adequate physical condition. it might be laziness, but it might also be that they don't have cardio and they don't have lower body strength to skate at full speed for entire shifts, for the whole game.

3: this team is also just slow in general. anything else that's wrong is compounding that issue.

4: laziness is definitely an issue with this team's passing, zone exits and zone entries. whether it's actual laziness, or just nonchalance, or inattention to detail, it's killing this team.
    4. One of AVs kryptonite throughout his coaching career as always been a lack of clean controlled exits.

3. I'm not sure I'd call the team slow. They definitely aren't fast though so Im not really arguing. The team just doesn't have a thing they excel at. They aren't hard nosed grinders, no guys with plus plus speed. It's frustrating in the least.

2. Is this a product of coaching, core leadership, management or just covid season?

1. Another frustrating part of this is the veteran core is actually producing. You've already touched on this before. The kids being counted on to take their next steps are the ones who've essentially stepped backwards. Really puts Fletcher in a tough spot moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post

1. I think steagles is pretty much spot on here. I don't care for AV much, but these problems are player related, not coach related. Firing the coach in this case, isn't going to fix the problematic players.

2. I'm not sure if lazy is the right answer or inadequate physical condition is the issue. That said, these are high end, elite athletes and it's hard to cite anything other than laziness for inadequate physical condition. I think that lack of motivation has become acceptable. That's got to go. I love some of our young players, but I think that it's time to move some of them in exchange for other young players who might need a change of scenery.

3. Are they slow, or do they just look slow because they are unmotivated?

4. lazy, lacksidasical, unmotivated...I think they are all synonyms in this case. It kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and I broke something of my dad's because I was being careless. He got angry, and I told him "I didn't try to break it" and he replied that I did not try to NOT break it. I think that's the core of what's going on here. I think these guys aren't trying to lose, but they aren't trying to NOT lose either. They're just going through the motions, and that's infuriating.

In my mind, I think it comes back to "lazy" simply being the right word to describe this team.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

All 4 are on the coach. He controls the players. If they are out of shape he can push them in practice to get them in better conditioning. If the defense is bad, he can change the game plan and give them more support (play more of a defensive game). I don't care if they are professional players it not, they still need someone to push them. Not everyone has a Chase Utley attitude, some have a Odubel Herrera attitude.

This team gives us 1 odd man rush every 4min. Iíve never seen anything like it.

All 4 are on the coach. He controls the players. If they are out of shape he can push them in practice to get them in better conditioning. If the defense is bad, he can change the game plan and give them more support (play more of a defensive game). I don't care if they are professional players it not, they still need someone to push them. Not everyone has a Chase Utley attitude, some have a Odubel Herrera attitude.
    better hide the women and children.

2. I'm not sure if lazy is the right answer or inadequate physical condition is the issue. That said, these are high end, elite athletes and it's hard to cite anything other than laziness for inadequate physical condition. I think that lack of motivation has become acceptable. That's got to go. I love some of our young players, but I think that it's time to move some of them in exchange for other young players who might need a change of scenery.
    i wonder about that 10 day covid layoff about a month ago.

the team wasn't playing well before that, but they were at least grinding results. after that break, we're 7-9-2, giving up 3.9 goals per game. interestingly, our corsi is over 54%, FO% and OZ-start% are both well over 50%. these numbers are alot better than i expected. even the special teams (PP% at 16%; PK at 22%) aren't disastrous.

otoh, our PDO (which is a limited, but reasonable, measure of "puck luck" at even strength) is 94, meaning we've been fairly unlucky. but then, luck is relative, and this team has deserved a lot of the terrible goals that have been scored against us.

one more thing: this is our 16th game in the last 27 days. that's an insane schedule crunch for this sport. i won't say that excuses the poor performances, but it would go a long way towards explain why everyone looks so slow and tired.

one more thing: this is our 16th game in the last 27 days. that's an insane schedule crunch for this sport. i won't say that excuses the poor performances, but it would go a long way towards explain why everyone looks so slow and tired.
    what it doesn't explain is the lack of toughness, the comical errors in passing, constantly blowing defensive assignments in front of the net, and on...

there are other problems here, but when there's no practice time and everyone's dead tired, those problems are hard to fix.

tl;dr:
    it would be a mistake to make significant long term moves in direct response to this run.

...except for ghost. that band-aid needs to come off.

Can't wait to see who is to blame once Ghost is gone. I hear a lot of people blame Ghost yet praise Provy who normally has more giveaways a game than Ghost and is horrible on the PP at keeping the puck in the zone.
    i don't think anyone is blaming ghost for this, and fwiw, i also haven't seen anyone praising provorov.

ghost isn't even a scapegoat; it's just time for everyone to move on. this defense corps isn't working, and too many guys (sanheim and myers, but maybe provorov) are suffering. that's not ghost's fault (probably), but the mix isn't right.
    Last edited by steagles; 03-25-2021 at 07:56 PM.

After what I've seen to this point, there needs to be moves made...almost immediately...something of significance too. I'm talking a move to shake this team. I don't think getting rid of AV is the answer...yet...

Part of me feels like it's the lingering effects of COVID possibly at this point. I mean this level of suckage is unprecedented.

id bring up 6 new defenseman tomorrow

Provorov has regressed to his rookie year without the offense. He stinks. He is not a #1

How many more oddman rushes can we give up?

How many more games do we have to give up 6 or 7 goals before we realize this team needs to be blown up and we need a full culture change - this group of personalities canít win together
    Last edited by castan_b; 03-25-2021 at 09:10 PM.

The absolute worst part of all of this is how everyone has destroyed their trade value.

They need to be sellers at the deadline. Worse thing is I'm not sure we will get much for anyone. We value our players higher than they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Provorov has regressed to his rookie year without the offense. He stinks. He is not a #1

How many more oddman rushes can we give up?

How many more games do we have to give up 6 or 7 goals before we realize this team needs to be blown up and we need a full culture change - this group of personalities canít win together
    when you regress and are still the best defender on defense... we have far bigger problems than prov right now

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast