Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Bill Maher on cancel culture

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXTUSP9a9M

Spot on here even if 95% of liberal posters here would disagree and not watch the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post

Spot on here even if 95% of liberal posters here would disagree and not watch the video

Ah, yes - a moment of clarity from a rich, elderly white man in Hollywood.

...wait, am I supposed to believe them or not believe them today? I canít remember. Itís so inconvenient to remember which celebrities are convenient to use to defend an argument nobody here is making.

I literally came here to make a thread on the exact topic so thank you for doing it Brewers.

Please for the love of God, if we just unite around one thing, can we unite around this? We know where it started, who started it, but like Bill said, 80% of people know it's ********. It needs a massive pushback, it just can't be from the right. People on the left need to push back against this too.

And can I add Woke Culture to it too? Watch the interview he did with Megyn Kelly in the same episode where she talks about pulling her kids from a private school in New York for Woke education. It's insane.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pabbzNjZ2s

If this is the new norm, I'll vote for Trump or whoever takes a stand over this all day, any day.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Hereís the deal:

Cancel culture is a problem.

Holding people accountable to their words and actions is not.

Getting to the latter is going to mean over swings occur - thatís cancel culture. Iíd prefer that we start to overswing now rather than continue to accept people being *******s because ďiTís My FiRsT aMeNdMeNt RiGhT!Ē

Cancel culture is becoming extreme, I am not sure liberal posters will necessarily disagree either. This isn't a partisan thing where only one side does it, look at Trumpism and trying to cancel anything that says something bad about them. Kapernick issue and trying to cancel that etc. for example. Trying to cancel someone on the other side or your opponent or someone that disagrees with you is becoming very popular all around.

On the other hand I think almost everyone I have come across is alright with some forms of "cancel culture" depending on the topic. What if a company actually is racist for example, whats the issue with canceling many would say?

It's getting to extreme levels, people need to do a better job of realizing when they are just being offended and no one is actually being hurt by an issue.

He makes some valid points. Cancel Culture definitely goes too far.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Cancel culture is becoming extreme, I am not sure liberal posters will necessarily disagree either. This isn't a partisan thing where only one side does it, look at Trumpism and trying to cancel anything that says something bad about them. Kapernick issue and trying to cancel that etc. for example. Trying to cancel someone on the other side or your opponent or someone that disagrees with you is becoming very popular all around.

On the other hand I think almost everyone I have come across is alright with some forms of "cancel culture" depending on the topic. What if a company actually is racist for example, whats the issue with canceling many would say?

It's getting to extreme levels, people need to do a better job of realizing when they are just being offended and no one is actually being hurt by an issue.
    Itís definitely on both sides and in full display with cpac now also.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Hereís the deal:

Cancel culture is a problem.

Holding people accountable to their words and actions is not.

Getting to the latter is going to mean over swings occur - thatís cancel culture. Iíd prefer that we start to overswing now rather than continue to accept people being *******s because ďiTís My FiRsT aMeNdMeNt RiGhT!Ē
    Bill made a great point that this isnít just celebraties now. There was a Latino man who got fired from his job because he made a white power gesture and someone filmed him and took to his employer.

Itís definitely on both sides and in full display with cpac now also.

Ya it is something taking over many in this country not specific to any group or identity.

It's tough because sometimes there is real injustice or an issue that someone needs to be held accountable for. They scream cancel culture because it's the "new thing" and that makes people defensive in turn when the word is used. The issue is many times the person being canceled didn't commit any real injustice. They may have simply not been aware of what was going on and got caught in a situation, they maybe made a joke, they may have just assumed their one of comment wouldn't define their entire life being taken slightly out of context etc. etc.

Sometimes "canceling" has some reasoning/validity but the general issue of over the top cancel culture is very real.

Itís really hilarious seeing Republicans against cancel culture when all that is is an extension of the free market. They love the free market when it means replaceable workers get paid less money. But when it leads to them being held accountable suddenly itís terrible. And if Republicans hate cancel culture so much then explain why you donít have a problem with Colin Kaepernick being blacklisted by the NFL.

Yea Iíve never been a fan of the woke police and cancel culture. Itís usually just the loudest voices who are far too often bigots or hypocrites themselves riling up an echo chamber and taking advantage of crowd behavior.

Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Itís really hilarious seeing Republicans against cancel culture when all that is is an extension of the free market. They love the free market when it means replaceable workers get paid less money. But when it leads to them being held accountable suddenly itís terrible. And if Republicans hate cancel culture so much then explain why you donít have a problem with Colin Kaepernick being blacklisted by the NFL.
    Sigh

That said a fair number of people will just use cancel culture as a scapegoat. Hawley is a great example of that.

Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I literally came here to make a thread on the exact topic so thank you for doing it Brewers.

Please for the love of God, if we just unite around one thing, can we unite around this? We know where it started, who started it, but like Bill said, 80% of people know it's ********. It needs a massive pushback, it just can't be from the right. People on the left need to push back against this too.

And can I add Woke Culture to it too? Watch the interview he did with Megyn Kelly in the same episode where she talks about pulling her kids from a private school in New York for Woke education. It's insane.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pabbzNjZ2s

If this is the new norm, I'll vote for Trump or whoever takes a stand over this all day, any day.
    Trump tried to use the Justice Department to cancel his political rivals and tried to cancel the votes against him. I'm not Rosie Oídonnell fan either but let's call a space a spade. Trump was more hypersensitive and reactionary to anything that didnít kiss his *** then any politician ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Do people characterize what happened to Kaepernick as cancel culture? Because I would.

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast